Grim Dawn 2

Many people say they want GD2. But I’m actually the opposite of it.

Sequels isn’t always a great thing, it gets repetitive like most ARPG end game in the end, and it won’t be long either until the community ask for GD3 when they have GD2, because it’s very hard to capture your first successful game in a sequel, since it needs to live up with that games expectations.

When there is no creative ideas it’s best to let it be. For me, GD is an amazing game as is, with the new expansion coming it will round of the amazing game. I hope crate won’t make GD2, but rather an new IP, lore using the core mechanics of GD that we love and of course make an entirely new ARPG and hopefully, hopefully no seasons… just a pure single player offline experience, and no souls like things.

For me, crate is the last respective development company that holds high values in these remarks.

What do you think? this is entirely my own subjective opinion though :slight_smile:

1 Like

i think A B and C isn’t nor have to be related to X Y Z, and while i understand what might be there, it’s also important to remember that just because someone hurt you or broke your trust doesn’t mean all will…

we’re getting an RTS set in the GD universe, the GD story itself is obviously not finished, doubt the expansion will even attempt to do that. Which means aside from having potential solid foundation to continue on, the world is still big enough that a sequel could still be made addressing other stuff.
i’d almost be willing to bet to expect some core mechanic change, both in part based of previous dev statements of arpg genre being a bit stale/“wanting to keep it fresh”, but also just on recent GD observations with how this established game is changing slightly (and for the better imo)

If you loved GD, if you think Crate has done good work, and treated you well dev wise, i see no reason to lose faith in that or they will suddenly fail to deliver a potential sequel (direct or otherwise)
And keep in mind, any sequel is years away, engine still being made etc, so devs have plenty time to brainstorm draft ideas and storyboard, and plenty time to take input/inspiration from players or other games in that timeframe, all to add to and ensure a potential followup will be kickass and have that hallmark of Crate care and be just as well made, or better.

I’m a total fanboi, but so far they’ve not shown me anything that would make me have reason to doubt they don’t have the chops to carry out a sequel down the line,
nor that they would make it until ready to be of the quality to follow up on Grim Dawn’s raised bar for games. I think they are quite aware of the big shoes they themselves created and will strive to fill them, and be able to do so too

3 Likes

I wish they stopped updating the core of GD1 and saved the ideas for GD2. We all say “hopefully no seasons”, but I begin to think, that seasons is what we’re already getting. From one update to the next some mechanics lose relevance, while others come to spotlight. Some details are removed, others added. It’s not only bugfixes or balancing. The game does not get strictly better or worse, just different.
Two people talking about GD1 may not have the same game in mind, depending on the version they last played. So when you ask about GD2, I’m not sure which GD1 you mean.

2 Likes

I think Crate should skip 2 and go directly for Grim Dawn 3. Otherwise, it’ll never catch up to Diablo numbers.

2 Likes

In that case they should skip to Grim Dawn V.

We understand perfectly well that Grim Dawn 2 will be in the Skyrim or Borderlands genre =) ARPGs are outdated

Скайрим и Борда - это и есть ARPG. В Диабло 2 до сих пор играют, в том числе и на классике. Попытка не защитана!

Eu sou afavor de que o jogo comtinue no caminho que esta , so atualizando expaçoes , porem sou afavor de uma nova mecanica para nao dechar o jogo com final repetitivos , eles deveriam adicionar uma forma do jogo ter final diferentes para cada classe ou um final diferente para determinados grupos de classes , quebraria essa mesmiçe de todo final ser sempre igual.

1 Like

Titan Quest 2 is in the making. In the distant future its engine could be used to make Grim Dawn 2. If it ever happens, it will take another decade to fruition.

TQ2 is being made with Unreal and Crate have already said they don’t think that’s a particularly good engine for ARPG’s. And they’re already making a new generation of their own engine which will be used for most of their future games.

2 Likes

Titan Quest 2 has nothing to do with Crate or Grim Dawn btw,
so its engine would have no relation or bearings on a Grim Dawn 2 since the companies making it are not linked/sharing resources
Titan Quest IP is now owned by Embracer group/new THQ (original THQ went bust)

2 Likes

I’m thinking in terms of reducing costs and increasing efficiency. Licensing TQ2 ARPG framework made on top of Unreal might cost a million, but it might save TONS of work in Crate, just like TQ1 engine saved a MASSIVE amount of work/time.

I don’t think you understand how businesses for videogame companies work.

i don’t think that would have any relation at all?
you’re assuming whatever framework TQ2 would utilize would even fit for what Crate would do with GD2
aside from completely not knowing what game TQ2 would even be, different scopes or aim in design vision could quickly divert so much the framework becomes entirely useless - Crate already writing off UE entirely should quickly indicate that they might have design ideas in mind that just requires something more special/with certain elements from the ground up instead of tacked on after

Given that any GD2 is years away I can’t see how buying TQ2 or any other engine is going to save time/effort myself. And Crate would still be working on their own engine for use with their other games so it sorta doesn’t make sense to buy an outside engine just for one game.

Yes, they bought and used the old TQ game engine to make GD, but that was a case of money being tight - Medierra was working on his own pretty much back then - while the situation is different now. And Crate have modified the old TQ engine so much that TQ would never run on it these days. You’re also making an assumption that THQ Nordic would be willing to licence the engine to “competitors”.

It could be that the ARPG genre has changed so much by the time Crate want to start making GD2 that whatever is done with Unreal for TQ2 wouldn’t fit the current trends. Whereas Crate making their own engine they can adapt it as needed.

2 Likes

It makes no sense to talk about GD2, honestly. GD1 isn’t finished yet. I mean, I love what Crate is doing with it, but I do hope this will be the last expansion (followed by a couple of years of balance and smaller content updates).

I also think Grim Dawn could use a light graphical update (some better looking textures and especially animations). Then it could last for years to come.

GD2 won’t release before 2035, realistically.

3 Likes

This is what I am most excited about. Crate making their own engine for GD2 means it will work on release. They have proven time and again they will take their time to get it right. They obviously know what good, snappy, and responsive gameplay feels like with GD, so they won’t release something that doesn’t feel/work as well as GD does now or better.

1 Like

There is no meaning in Grim Dawn 1 bacause of non-stopping nerfs in every patch, and you want GD2? Developers should learn how to balance game in right way.

Arpgs are outdated? There are many of those in the works, expansions are being made still. Last Epoch just a full release. Titan qeust 2 is in the works. There is an expansion coming out for this one. And ARPGs come in many styles now. THere is no evidence that Ar[gs are outdated in any sense of the word. I mean unless you care to legit source your statemeant, I dont think what you are stating is even close to accurate.

1 Like

How would this work? I like the idea, but the amount of classes are immense in this. Could there be different endings in this game based on the choices the players did on their way to the end of the game? I agree with you completely. THere needs to be more varied endings. Though the endings take time to create as well. So far grim dawn doesnt have an ‘ending’ from what I can tell. There is still more to this story. I dont think the upcoming expansion will end this story either. It going to be quiet a fantastic ending from what Ive seen so far.

1 Like