Grim Hell - Bosses revamped + QoL changes.

Grim Hell 0.0004

New Trailer for 0.0004!

//youtu.be/_egmme3Z4M4

Preview Images

Grim Hell will be the culmination of multiple QoL mods I have separated for the sake of other modders who may want to integrate them for their own rebalance mods.

The goal of this mod is to add all my QoL mods together and then improve the difficulty of the game without slowing the pace down much, except at boss fights.

Eventually I’d like to also make sure every single boss in the game has their own unique reward that is worth farming. Some bosses will appear differently in each difficulty, or just in Ultimate.

Boss(es) coming in next release: Gutworm, Viloth, Primordian, Ellena, maybe a couple more

Current bosses that still need a lot of feedback: [ul]
[li]The Reincarnator [/li]
[li]Barrog the Bloodied[/li]
[li]Loghorrean[/li]
[li]Commander Lucius[/li]
[li]The Warden[/li]
[li]Darius Cronley[/li]
[/ul]
Bosses more or less finished (feel free to give feedback, just means I like the current state more or less):

• Ancient Shambler

Reincarnator has 2 versions. 1 on easy so he doesn’t overwhelm new players, and then 1 on elite and ultimate.
Ancient Shambler.
Ancient Shambler has just one version, but his fight is still different in each difficulty due to how I set his spawn pool.

Current Mods included: [ul]
[li]Crafting Enhanced[/li]
[li]Multiplayer Enhanced Adv. Version[/li]
[/ul]

Download Here
Patch Notes Here

I’ll need the help of strangers to test the bosses and let me know not just too easy/hard but also which abilities are hitting too hard, what makes it too hard etc. Keep in mind that the Reincarnator is intended for all characters to kill, but the Ancient Shambler is what I’d consider skippable so I made that fight harder.

True side bosses I plan on making pretty insane. And I also plan on making a secret way to access Uber versions of all the campaign versions. That’s right, Uber versions of the my already improved versions of bosses. That’s probably where I’ll place the unique rewards. Maybe I’ll make the non ubers have a high chance to drop an epic, and the Ubers will drop a legendary version.

Please feel welcome to voice the boss you’d most like to see updated and any other changes you’d like or quality of life features you want added. Don’t be discouraged if I shoot an idea down, it’s not necessarily a bad idea it might just be more work for one thing than I want to put in.

Archived preview images

Grim Hell will be the culmination of multiple QoL mods I have separated for the sake of other modders who may want to integrate them for their own rebalance mods.

I would love to incorporate some of these into Grimtasia. Is the reanimator and shambler, the same as in Cornucopia?

Abot bosses (I tested with 100 lvl. characters on Ultimate difficulty):

• the Reanimator has lots of health (and, maybe, resistance), but is easy to beat;
  • the Ancient Shambler and his bunch of golems are dangerous because of stun and skill disruption abilities and high toughness. It will be good if they drop some kind of rare reward when you kill all of them.

Go right ahead. Same as Cornucopia, I salvaged them. I updated some of their numbers though. More will come. Eventually. Make sure you get all the needed files from the .zip. Don’t delete the quest files. They are the same quests but updated so that killing the different versions I made of the reincarnator completes the quest anyway. They’re works in progress though so feedback is appreciated. Even if it’s in the context of a different mod it can still give me some ideas of glaring spots on the fights.

Great! Was it too much health? I want to make sure players get to see all the orbs spawn without killing him too fast. Did you find his additional spawns completely unthreatening? We’re his orbs too easy to dodge? Did they do enough damage?

The golems will probably get a couple rewards and even an Uber version of the fight one day with it’s own legendary. But rewards aren’t the priority atm because for some the difficulty is its own reward and I want to get their tuning right.

My current concept for the golem fight reward is an epic for lower level versions of the fight and a chance for a legendary in elite and ultimate. The Uber version will probably make you fight all three elemental sub bosses at once in a slightly bigger arena and all four golems would be even more Hardy and maybe a few extra tricks. From that fight each golem would drop an item you need to farm a few times to craft a good mythical legendary. Probably something elemental dmg related.

Also consider the first time you fight these bosses you won’t be 100 or fully geared ;). Later bosses in ultimate may be made even harder.

Anyhoo the plan is to make all main story quest bosses more interesting and threatening but still very beatable if you learn what to prioritize and how to fight them. Like cronley reincarnator warden.

But side bosses and even side Minibosses like Chilldread (always spawning Askertan Road hero) will be made into very challenging content. Cuz they’re optional.

About the Reanimator battle:

• I did not remember these orbs to be dangerous;
  • I did not care about additional spawns;
  • the battle was pretty long for such a weak foe.

Against bunch of golems it was important to always move and not to fight with all of them at the same time.

It will be great, when your mod is completely ready, to see these bosses in Grimarilion and Grimmer and Grimmest.

Oh man, this looks great.

Now that the game is getting rifts, via the Shatterred Realm, uberquests and uberbossess is all it takes for an extraordinary endgame potential.

Really, it would be great to have mod versions of something like Path of Diablo or Median XL for GD one day.

I have a question - do you plan on making uberbossess strong like Nemeses or Superbossess? Or something in between?

You have no idea how much I appreciate that effort, Awesome!

Something sideways. Difficulty will be inbetween but one of the main aspects of super bosses if having to overcap a singular resist by like 100%. I don’t plan on making them that restrictive in terms of gear. I plan on just making them hectic as fuck to fight. I’ll need to think of a way for them to deal with mirror of ereoctes though.

As for:
“Really, it would be great to have mod versions of something like Path of Diablo or Median XL for GD one day.”

Call me arrogant but I plan on being the chosen one. Though I’m open to collaboration.

Your responses have been answered by this gracious dev with an update! A patch notes link has been added to the opening post. If it isn’t clear right now the intention is for Kyzogg to be harder on melee champions and the Shambler Fight harder against ranged. (Mainly because the shamble gets a really powerful “on being hit by projectiles” spike that he’ll cast at you if you’re ranged and they throw shit more when ranged.

Kyzogg now has a bit less hp. Kyzogg’s orbs now do more damage. Kyzogg now gains a 10% chance on being hit in normal, 20% in elite/ultimate to spawn a new spiralling orb that doesn’t do a % of your health as damage but does more flat damage. If you hit him a lot these puppies will hurt. Additionally his first orb now deals even more dmg so melee range champions will most likely want to not get hit by that first big orb. Don’t tell me he’s not more challenging now. From here I’d only tune him down. His Uber version will be made at the end of development for fully geared 100’s to fight.

Next enemy I plan to update: Barrog, the Bloodied, who you fight coming out of Devil’s Crossing. Since he’s skippable I plan on making his Ultimate difficulty version particularly nasty for the under-geared. He won’t be getting an Uber version since he’s so insignificant. Only campaign bosses and potentially some side bosses will.

edit Barrog turns out to already hit pretty hard and have a normal version, then an elite+ version. Buffing the former and adding a third lvl 81+ only version that should mainly show up in ultimate ought to do the trick. I’m really enjoying making this fight. It was really interesting to discover that he already can pack a whallop of damage but he’s just too damn slow. Speeding him up dramatically and adding some significant hp regen is just turning him into an absolute bruiser to deal with. In normal and elite he should be pretty manageable but in Ultimate I’ll give him some extra tricks. Overall I’m really liking this fight. In ultimate you’re not going to want to fight him until geared lol

Well, a god can’t be arrogant, now can he?

In any case, thank you for all the effort you’re making in perfecting the Grim Dawn experience. It’s much appreciated.

Guess not. Imo the bosses in GD are the only thing that I personally find sorely lacking in most cases. I think this mod will become a lot more appreciated when I start giving these harder versions of bosses Monster Infrequents/Epics/Components/Legendaries that can drop from them. Tuning’s going to take ages though.

Fuck it, I released Barrog. Didn’t really test on Normal and Elite so I’ll need you guys to do that. Ultimate he should probably be pretty hard if not impossible for characters under-geared. Pretty easy with a fully built character though… not sure how I feel about it.

Will need feedback.

Please feel welcome to voice the boss you’d most like to see updated and any other changes you’d like or quality of life features you want added. Don’t be discouraged if I shoot an idea down, it’s not necessarily a bad idea it might just be more work for one thing than I want to put in. I’m also open to input on how to make bosses interesting. With so many bosses and mini-bosses some abilities are obviously going to overlap but I am trying to make them have their own feel for each fight.

Kyzogg is orbiting stuff that kills you + his littler aether crystal fire pools he leaves on the floor hurt a lot now. Golems are obviously elemental hell. Barrog is a bruiser you have to focus whether you like it or not or he’ll heal up (hmm maybe I need to give him a % heal too heheheh). I think for Cronley I want to make him more of a monster all on his own somehow. I’m thinking he’ll have an alternating aura with different colors. One color means don’t attack with melee, another will mean don’t attack with ranged. Then I’ll just give him a powerful stat line.

Some of these bosses won’t really be finished until Crate stops working on the game, so I can edit the map without worrying about anything. I’ll be able to add environmental stuff maybe like the water vents Ellena uses in Hargate’s lab.

edit added preview image.

I always thought Commander Lucius is fairly easy. I mean, if you avoid his aether meteors, you’re pretty much good to go.

Bloodlord Thalonis would benefit from a second form, I think.

Not to mention Logghorrean, who is disappointingly easy, or better yet, simple, for the main boss of the main story.

Literally every boss is getting a facelift eventually. Don’t you worry.

Well now, that’s awesome!

@krell I might just do Cronley Warden and Lucius as one big release then. I’m busy so releases will be at my whim.

My thoughts so far:

Warden’s kit is pretty cool, he’s just a push over. Plan on just giving him more health, speeding him up, lowering his cooldowns, raising his dmg, and making his ranged crossbow spike shotgun shoot more spikes the higher lvl he is.

Also will attempt to make his aether wave (the one that stuns) have a scaling chance for 100% cooldown reduction and maybe up the stun a touch at higher levels.

Cronley will also get sped up, dmg etc. Removing his crystal summons, they went to the Reincarnator. I want him to also be hard as a stand-alone without mobs. Made him throw 3 crystals instead of 1, and also increase the chance that when he’s hit by a ranged attack that it shoots one at you. Made aether pools last longer like reincarnator fight.

If that’s too dull I’m considering giving him a mutated aether wisp like thing that moves really slowly but does decent damage in a small radius that he’ll summon. If I feel like going the extra mile I’ll make the wisp cast a spell on itself with a huge special effect right before it dies, and give it an “on death” skill that will almost certainly kill you if you’re in the radius.

For Lucius I’m going to just reduce his cooldowns/speed up his animation times so he casts more meteors. I was thinking of giving him 5 aether tornado pillars. Like aether fire that goes really high, and make them move SUPER slowly. So they’re almost stationary. I think I’ll let him summon 5 at a time, for a max of 10. They’d have a super small radius so you’d have to walk right next to them to take dmg but they’ll make him more of a pain for melee characters.

I’m also planning on coming back to all my boss changes at some point and deciding which bosses will be more or less immune to life-steal. Since the Reincarnator is pretty easy I might make it fully immune to lifesteal, since you can still heal up off his summons and dodge his projectiles.

I agree completely, Warden is a pretty variable fight, and I especially love your ideas about Lucius.

New release almost ready. (soon™) Preview images:

I think I like this new format of doing 4 bosses or so at a time. Will probably continue to do so moving forward so players feel like they have more things to try each release.

Also worth noting I will probably add more to future boss fights. The Shambler fight I went crazy adding new skills to. I think I rather just boost numbers, lower cooldowns etc. to make bosses more challenging first, and then later in development when every boss is already not a push over I can go back and see if I can add more intricacies to the fights. I’ll probably be adding on average 1-2 skills per fight from now on… instead of like 15 which I did for Shambler.

Since I’m developing this mod for what seems to be like, 8 people, feel free to post which bosses you’d like to see buffed next!

New update is live:

Spoilers/new trailer:

//youtu.be/_egmme3Z4M4

Download:
https://mega.nz/#!vjgB3arK!82Uvx8LAcL1ifA31Q3VaHpDdgf7wUCTN8Oq8F43rGUc

OP updated

The fights were amazing on the spotlight are the shammy group which nicely has different(random) extra elemental golems and daaym with all those rock showers and earthquakes.
+1 the amazing aether nados on Lucius fight. Before it was a joke but this makes it even more challenging, make sure you dont F"""" around with his nados and the dmg is badass considering that he is in line with the final bosses on the base game
I cant imagine the LOG fight with the new music on FG truly becomes an exciting final boss fight for the base game.
Cronley has become a beast finally. Before i could facetank him so easily till i would burn him down. LoL good luck trying your old tricks to these new dogs. They will demolish you

Great mod to test your builds, the tactics used in here are very clever