Grim Misadventure #107: Patch v1.0.0.7 Preview

Sorry for the rant guys, but i am far too valuing my time which i spent farming and i dont want that to go to waste.
Of course i do not know the details but there have been abundance of nerfs in GD since 1.03 (buffs as well, but nerfs should be avoided).

Been gaming for nearly 28 years and in the past 6-7 years every dev focuses on “balance” much more than its healthy = fun for their games - and especially in GD where it makes little to no sense as there is no “competition” - you know you can dupe, cheat and mod the game and nobody will know?

Who cares if i can blitz through end game in 10 min?

We all know that efficient farming and the enjoyment of feeling as a god killing machine is the end game goal for all ARPGs. Why not have that in GD?

The end game sets are annoyingly hard to assemble - they should be the most powerful items you can acquire.

On DM - i have full DM set since they introduced the Smith (the shoulders took me ages to acquire i even thought they are bugged to not drop).

If you compare the separate set pieces vs other sets or non-set lv75 legends the stats provided are quite on the low end (there is barely any HP and the resists are not enough). Full set bonus is nothing that good - another 10% resist reduction which is a single target castable skill with small duration. Its more of an annoyance then real benefit. Also 30% dodge on projectiles - most dangerous enemies are melee - it should be 30% melee dodge instead of ranged to make some sense and be useful.

All that said - i look forward to being proven wrong and Crate just minor adjusting those 5 piece bonuses but still allowing for the user to be as efficient as before.

What are you talking about? They always add patch notes for every update. Not for all of them but MAJORITY of them

Thanks for the update, still very much looking forward to bigger stashes…

Yeah, the set is still great, i tried it on a spellbreaker and it was surprising effective, except for the weapons though. I find it odd the pierce conversion is so low, green slicers seem like the way to go

I get it Ultos is OP, and i don’t mind a nerf. But i always remember how hard it is to put end-game sets together which is why i don’t see the point of nerfs.

But obviously seeing what crate did to Deathmarked sets, i am confident they won’t nerf it to garbage and the nerf would only serve to reduce the OPness of the set and nothing more. Like i said i don’t mind nerfs, it’s just that the end-game gear usually has lower drop rates.

As for Warborn, i haven’t made a build around it yet, but it seems like the strongest Soldier set atm.

Anyways, regarding item nerfs my attitude is always this - never make a build to be overly dependent on a specific item.

Ulzuin and Deathmarked garbage?

Feel free to do that, most don’t like to do it. Me? I personally don’t mind if someone does it as i believe to each his own. But the devs don’t take into account the people who do this, and make the nerfs based on the vanilla players.

To some (or maybe many) a challenging fight is a fun fight. In my personal case no single boss fight was as fun as fighting Ordrak in Torchlight. The only fight i enjoyed was the Edge of Reality boss(es) fight where my Witch Hunter got decimated a lot and yet it seemed fun as it kept me at the edge of my seat all the time.

The most enjoyable boss-fight 1v1 in this game imo is Fabius.

As for your point regarding the granted skill by the deathmarked set, i do agree with you. They should remove the RR and add something else as the granted skill. As for single items outperforming a set is not unheard of. And 30% chance to dodge melee doesn’t make much sense as the set allows you to decimate things in melee range so it’s only fair they be allowed to hit you. Make it to dodge melee attacks would again trivialize the game content. I have yet to try a blademaster (saving it for the last), but i’m confident that even if i don’t use JoV’s Blademaster and make my own build around deathmarked i can destroy 98% of the content.

Set bonuses are not suddenly going to enable a build to complete Glad. Crucible. Crucible is a melting pot of mechanical imbalance which no reasonable degree of numbers can overcome for many characters.

For those wondering why nerfs have to happen for overperforming content in a singleplayer game, consider the extreme of something being over-the-top dominant in every vein. The majority of players would flock to it, and prospective players - upon asking how build diversity is - would be told that there’s not especially many competitive builds. That’s definitely a negative and could have an impact on sales. Balance should never be prioritized over fun, but when things are very clearly imbalanced and there is a fix that wouldn’t render content obsolete, it’s usually the right course of action for players and for the devs.

@ Ceno : i’m not complaining about nerfs actually i totally understand the reasons behind balancing. Still - as a player who usually try a lot of sets - i would like to see some of them buffed.

I’m not implying that crate never buffs weak sets/legendaries.

Contrary to popular belief, apparently Chthonian is more intelligent than Aetherial.

And more powerful

Anyone who has finished the story knows Chthonians are more intelligent. They used this entire event that the aetherials created to finish their own plans.

I agree, after 400 hours I had to trade for the last markovian piece. For the effort required these sets should be good or don’t have sets at all. I just started leveling a witchblade and I will be pissed if it gets hit with a nerf and performs about on par with my self found 0 set piece physical warder.

Lol, i never said they will be nerfed to the ground. My views are similar to Ceno’s regarding the nerf part. If 90% of your playerbase is flocking to builds posted on the forums then there’s something wrong with your game. Nerfs do add to build diversity. What i meant when i said i don’t see the point is that, currently i don’t think we’re having that trouble (i could be wrong). Yes, end-game gear is OP. But does that mean i can drop Gladiator 150 with Ultos, nope. I can’t speak for Warborn though.

Also, nerfs aren’t as bad as people think

Thank you for the constructive reply, Ceno - really appreciate it and i cannot disagree with the overall logic of it.

I guess what would help is to have a base guideline what should we as players, expect from the best items in the game (or sets)?

Should we be able to beat the hardest content with little to no effort (i would say yes, hence they are the end game goal to obtain), or just be a small increase in power?

I’ve put over 400 hours into the game. I’ve taken 3 characters to 85 and done a ton of farming. Even then I had to trade for the last piece. Other than valdun which I’m hoping gets buffed I’m not even close to any other completed sets. 90% of players aren’t going to flock to a build that requires that much effort to farm and will have tried other builds by that point.

I’m really just hoping that I’m not going to regret rolling a witchblade instead of commando. I can easily go another direction with commando. Witchblade? Might be tougher.

Witchblade’s success isn’t gear dependent, it’s due to good synergies.

True, could go posion. Just going to have to edit my character to pull points out of soldier mastery worst case

Excellent support.
Going to buy another copy of Grim Dawn for my colleague as a Christmas gift.