Grim Misadventure #12: Fashion Nonsense

First of all, thanx for the update. Gear looks really awesome!

I like the artwork combinations and that items look in preview slots exactly like they do on the character. Detail makes the difference. I also like the heavy armour aesthetic differences, between levels 8 and 30. I think you guys have nailed it in the right level. Replaying TQ:IT now really makes me feel that the gear will look even better with the game engine, and that makes me exited.

“I just hope with all this cool looking gear we will have enough space to save items or carry them arround. I never really understood why in these loot driven games we have such small space, in terms of backpack or stash. Thats a problem i experience again in TQ and TL2. Especially in TQ that you cannot fast travel to a city and sell gear, its frustrating. So please make sure you give us enough space to carry and save items. I would love to be able to save some common sets, just for the artwork.”

Now about the respec… this one is tricky. Allow respec in both skill and attribute points, one of them, or permanent? Med i think you should make a different thread to talk this one, and maybe discover ups and downs of either selection, as something like that will definedly influence the replay lability of the game in some level. First reaction would be to say, oh let us reclaim both, but i am not so sure its the right choise.

Plus… are we still thinking like that? “The ability to spend money to reclaim skill and attribute points alleviates the fear and frustration of having to make early, uninformed decisions that could permanently nerf a character.”

Designer test, question #1: Is this pretty?

The actual question should be, what does this show? Is this armor/level of the gear? That would be weird actually because the values dont increase with consistency. Sometimes the difference from level to level is 10 then it’s 9 or 8 then it’s 7 for a few levels. Why are you doing it that way?

I like the item art but is it just me or is the mage’s bodyarmor a bit…colorful?

I think the skill-point system from TQ is very nice. You get to buy back your points from skills but not from the progress-bar of your mastery. I don’t think there is much to improve on it. Maybe lower the cost of it if it becomes harder to get much money because they price for reclaiming one point skyrocketed fast.

Attribute points are a tougher decision. It wouldn’t really make much sense to reclaim them (“okay I did this trick and now I am dumb as wood and can barely lift a sword again!”). Then again in TQ you always had the feel you miss-skilled because there was so much to put points in. Maybe make it possible to reclaim those points once every difficulty level?

Oh also I think this deserves an own thread? :slight_smile:

Stunning array variable there. I’m guessing that determines the amount of a certain stat on a piece of equipment in relation to the level, or defense values/physique.
As for the art…

JK looks great. :smiley:

Wow, thanks for the nice update!
Looking forward for more “kick ass” equipment update in the future,
and of course the arrival of the Alpha version!
Keep it up! 加油~!:smiley:

Ahhh, I had the ring supposedly at the bottom instead of on top with the amulet being on top of the right ring slot. At least I got the belt part right, still I think it was kinda obvious. I wonder what the slot is for the ones around the belt?

Well, I derped on the item slots…

Perhaps we’ll get stuff to put in the belt in the slots next to the belt? We’ll see :slight_smile:

I also agree that there should be a seperate thread about skill and attribute respeccing.

I speculate the black slots around the belt represent a figure eight. To be more precise, they will help me slice, or are prehaps dice. Dice are often kept hanging off belts to repel lice as well as mice, but only work twice. Maybe its ammo to help me spammo so enemies go blammo. Whatever it is, we don’t know yet, but in the grand scheme we’ll know faster then a sonic jet.

To to question my sanity is to question your intelligence.

The two slots next to the belt are more then likely for the medals that Med has mentioned. :slight_smile:

I think skills should be respecable only, I think if attributes are also be respecable, then it might be too easy, and cuts down the replay value, there should be some challenge and penalties for choosing wrongly

but at the same time, I also feel, that neither should be rescable, until maybe an expansnion or two, then we have the option, it will encourage experimentation and reply value

but anyway, great update, and say a big thanks to the artists from me, they have done a wonderful job there

so it seems that alpha will not be this year then? that is a pity, but hopefully early neat year then, Im totally looking forward to alpha, its nail biting seeing these updates and not been able to play the frelling game

but anyway, congrats to the dev team in general for making this game possible

I’m totally fine with reclaiming both skill and attribute points via some monetary formula that costs you more the higher level you are.

While we’re talking about skill points I would like to know if we’ll be able to Save off skill builds? Let us save 2-3 builds and when we go to respec we have a choice of clearing everything out -OR- choosing one of our past saved builds. Either way should cost the player some cash, but choosing a saved skill build just saves me some button clicks and makes it easier to go back to a spec that worked in the past.

Keep up da great work!

Bring MOAR GOODZ next time!:cool:

These sets look great for just common items, I must say.

Maybe this is unrelated, but it was a question that spurred looking at the way the characters are standing in the equipment screen. Have the idle animations been improved since TQ?

One of my biggest complaints with TQ, and it is strange that it bothers me this much sometimes, is that the characters’ idle stance is the same regardless of what weapon you have equipped, and they hold the weapons like they are paper perpendicular to themselves. Hand-in-hand with this is the attack animations - are they better now? In the same way that idle animations bothered me in TQ, I was disappointed that my character always had a lame “attack, stop, attack, stop” animation, if you can understand what I’m saying. It looked like he was slapping the enemies with a wet newspaper(s).

I really like the gloves in this! Gloves you say? Well, I like how they look kind of angled like zombie hands.

People were talking about the hat being cowboy. When I first noticed it, I immediately thought of a brown pilgrims hat. BTW, sign me up for that level 30 armor, it looks epic!

I would vote to have both reclaimable, but in different ways. I would go with something like making attributes reclaimable through money (like how skill points were in TQ, just more expensive). For skill points, maybe in addition to getting 3 skill points per level as in TQ, also give one (or more) reclaim point(s) that you can use to readjust a spent skill point. After reaching max level, your XP bar continues to fill so when you “level up” after you’ve reached max, while you don’t get any more levels or attribute or skill points you still get the reclaim point(s). Extra skill and reclaim points could also be given through quests and such as well. Or reverse it where reclaim points are used on attributes and skill points are bought back with money.

This way, it gives a little bit of a chance to test things out, but you also can’t go respecing your character willy-nilly because you will eventually run short of reclaim points. (while you can build your supply of them back up after max level, I would assume it would take quite a bit of time).

Them are some attractive armor sets, especially the lev 30 heavy, cod piece and all.
:cool:

Those look great! Item hunting is going to be fun if we get more pieces like these.

You have the town portal, my friend. :slight_smile:

I want permanent attribute points. It was awesome in Titan Quest. If we can respec them freely, then the dual class system has no point.

Skills are what you learn, attribute are what you are. You can’t turn from a giant brute to a light wizard in 2 seconds IMHO.

I would be disappointed if we could reclaim them for nothing. The first amount of disappointment I’d ever feel for Grim Dawn. If there is a cost though, it can be appealing for some players (especially if you miss-click). But the cost has to be huge.

Nicely said. I second this, can’t agree more.