Grim Misadventure #142: A Shattering Revelation

I sure as hell ain’t hyped for this and think this was a waste of dev time. It still doesn’t add game content because it’s just recycling already existant content. Only new content you’ll get here is probably the boss/bosses that drop the set and runes.

It seems disagreeing with people now is called “being against you and not your idea”. Give me a fucking break. From the posts I’ve seen from you, tt seems all you are is a keyboard warrior thinking you’re fighting the “good fight”.

Can you tell the names of those two?

Then we must have been a “toxic community” once we opened up to the masses and Medierra was completely wrong to solicite views from the fan base regarding aspects of the game.

Yes, there will always be trolls and people arguing for argument’s sake. It’s the internet, can’t get away from them. But as for their voices being heard more than others, I think the devs can work it out for themselves who they might listen to and who not. I for one am grateful they do listen to all views whether they agree with them or not.

I think the easiest to do to solve the dilemma of being too high level for Elite while keeping three difficulties would be to make Ultimate Level 100+, raise Elite max level range level all across the board and tweak Elite’s drops to prepare high-level characters for Ultimate.
Of course, that’s just my opinion.

I don’t know if exceptions make the rule whether praetorian or any other memeber of this forum.

Even in a small group like preatorians you would be surprised just how much opinions and style differ on all aspects of the game, from casual to min/max, everything.

This is because crate deliberately picks different people to see, during testing, opinions on different aspects of the game.

By no means can the opinion of e tester shut down the opinion of another forum member in the open forum or wherever. The only instance where tester feedback is prioritized is, as expected, during testing an important patch only because of access, but once something goes live all opinions are the same. Just because a Praetorian vehemently disagrees with a feedback posted by a forum memeber, that , in the eyes of the devs, does not make the feedback null or shut down in any way, the praetorian in that moment is really just a player disagreeing with an opinion and the word"praetorian" weighs nothing in that instance.

I personally welcome this new game mode as I’ve grown tired of crucible and seems to be more dynamic.

I don’t want to be a dick, but you responded to one of my posts some time ago:

And on this gamemode announcement thread you said:

So please… Don’t be a hypocrite. I’m not saying it only to you, but to everyone who argues for the sake of arguing, where I have to agree with Belzak.

We still don’t even know if this is set maps with set enemies picked randomly until you reach the treasure room or actual random maps with random enemies.

So the people thinking this is random maps with random enemies need to wait for more information.

That’s true, they didn’t say anything about random map layout, although if they don’t add that, the rifts will be just like rogue dungeons with some mutators… I wouldn’t like it probably. :confused:

given that his statement was delusional I would not give too much credence to whatever names he produces…

I am aware. Personally I am not very interested in the shattering mode now that it turns out to be rifts, that has not changed. The ‘sounds good’ was more because I know it has been asked for by others.

So please… Don’t be a hypocrite. I’m not saying it only to you, but to everyone who argues for the sake of arguing, where I have to agree with Belzak.

I will play it a few times to get the items in it I assume, but my overall feeling on rifts has not changed, I am not really interested in them. I also do not play the Crucible for what it is worth.

I have never argued for the sake of arguing, I have better things to do and fail to see the point in that

Personally i don’t like the idea of this new game mode as it brings basically nothing, we already have such kind of mixed mobs/game locations in the second secret quest, so nothing new here.

I would rather see the story enhanced further instead of killing same monsters in different combos on different arenas, obviously i am in the minority here, let’s see what it turns out to be.

Completing main game on veteran + AOM will already bring you abt 60 lvl with just doing main quests/Hidden path, no farming for bounties/faction reps, so lvl 100 is safely hitted somewhere in act 2-3 on Ultimate now - for better or for worse.

Let’s see what next update brings.

From what we know so far about this Shattered Realm I think it is kinda lackluster. There some mods with even more creativity put into them (Omega mod, Nydiamar…) why the devs can’t come with something really original and interesting? Even oneperson modders can. Instead they re-introduce Crucible just in a different ‘wrap’. I am not against the new game mode it is better than nothing but still i feel somewhat disappointed.

P.S. I might be mistaken though we still don’t know much about the Shattered Realm rifts…

Haven’t played them, but isn’t Nydiamar basically a new map reusing existing assets ? In that case the new act offers that with new assets

As to Omega, my take is it basically is similar to shattering mode / rifts, but with more grind. Again, just from the mod description.

So I am not sure I agree that either is more original / interesting. Maybe Omega if you like the grind and its rewards, but that is not me, YMMV of course

why the devs can’t come with something really original and interesting?

Could be lots of inventiveness. All that has been said is new mode and a timer that is not going to be too significant. Not much to go on.

Who knows what they could come up with:

-zones of nullification, changing environments, or restriction of various things as an area progresses?
-obstacles that require more fine control and less zerg?
-more story?
-more build-defining items?
-more classes?
-old class tweaks?
-progression streamlining?

It’s wide open. I’m excited to see what gets thunk up.

All good dude, I didn’t mean to start an argument :rolleyes: I just know that Crate will come up with something innovative in that gamemode, and critics of it will get to like it. I can’t imagine Crate just copying Diablo rifts with mutators. Although I would even like that, personally speaking.

I’m still waiting for Whirlwind Skill and new Mastery announcement :cool:

you weren’t starting one, nor was I intending to. I only explained my perspective, if you can do that, then I should be able to as well (esp since you addressed me directly…) without getting an eyeroll from you for it.

Just so we are clear, all good as far as I am concerned

A time limit?Kind of controversial - considering that deeper you go - the more enemies will become basically a sponges,that will take minuets to kill to even pass through.So losing loot will be unavoidable at deeper ‘‘clusters’’.The gameplay will be turned into “rush da hell pass any enemies,and try to kill enormously\unnessecarry fat boss in a time limit,that left”.The question is - in those cluster is there gonna be atleast some drop from enemies themself to kinda compensate the inevitable loss of loot by not making in time?Because it will be obvious that you’ll be losing more shards than you gain in deeper clusters.

Hi, I came up with a story for Zantai in the new expansion. I am no real writer and I love grim dawn, so I sat down trying write something.

The new gameplay mode can be great, but I have to play it before I can say something about. Looking forward for playing this new badass expansion! :smiley:

PS: I love grim dawn’s lore! :smiley:

Lore: Zantai’s Story (FAN MADE, NOT REAL LORE :p)

[SPOILER]Zantai’s Story Chapter 1: My travel to the bounds of Erulan Empire

The bounds of Erulan Empire are my worst and most horrific travel in my lifetime. At first it seemed fine with more heat and lush oases. It truly felt like a holiday from my cold home in the mountains, but the further I went, more it became a burning nightmare. I walked across burning sands and through volcanic wastes to reach the sun beaten ruins of a city with secrets. This city has not seen a drop of water in many ages. The stones were melted by the suns heat and sharpness. At that point I was too far to even consider a return trip. I must find it. The treasures, the greatness I just had to see it.

I found something; it looked like a yellow sparkling jewel stone. My eyes were blinded and my mind was stuck into touching that jewel. I could not resist. I should never have done that. I felt it, something has been disturbed. I was scared. Could it be that I have rekindled the flames of a forgotten god? I remember the stories. I was a young boy when I first heard it. A god that was so great and powerful it sent ripples through the Eldritch realm and sowing terror even among the Witch Gods themselves. I never thought that this story was true, but I closed my eyes and kept going.

Zantai’s Story Chapter 2: My meeting with the old man

I had walked for weeks and was out of water. So dry, so thirsty. It felt like the desert had grown into my body and was soon to be one with it. I knew it; soon the suns heat would burn through my bones. I had no reason to keep going. So I lied down onto the burning sands that had made its mark on my toes. My eyes shut, and the darkness took over. I was dreaming, or I thought I was. This strange looking old fellow carried me across the dunes and through flaming sandstorms. This was it I thought. He was to be my death carrier, to carry me down underground. Hm… I did not dream at all, this was real; this was hope for my soul again.

I woke up in a shallow wet cave. There he stood right before me. He smiled and asked me if I wanted some water. My throat was sore and hurting, so I answered him with a loop of nods. The old man went over to the wall in the cave, reaching out his hand. I stared at him and thought of how he could survive all of this. Till now I found no food or no fresh delicious water, something this body truly long for. I still saw everything blurry; these eyes seemed to not work correctly. Suddenly out of the blue, water came falling down the wall pouring water in the old man’s hand. I tried to stand up, but my body is too rusty and too burnt to even move. He said to me to relax and don’t move a muscle. I did so, I had no other choice. He came over to me with the water and poured it down my over burnt throat. The feeling of water again I could never forget. Fresh, blue, wet, water. I could feel my body again and even feel my toes. I asked him, how can this be? He said relax and sleep.

I was gone for days, have not slept so well since I left my safe home I guess. In my sleep I had this weird dream of a god that would burn all of Cairn into flaming ruins. I was suddenly in the middle of all of this. My family, my friends, burnt to death. I was screaming and crying so much and then I woke up. I felt my heart pound so fast I could not keep up with. The old man just opened up my mouth and almost choked me to death with water. I yelled at him asking why he did that. To let you live he said. You have seen the same vision as I had. You must end this; after all it was you who started it. I had no idea of what he was talking about, but inside I did feel it. The force I feel connected to my mind, like I was in someone’s grip.
He gave me a book and his protective cloths and walked out of the cave. I never saw him again. He was a strange fellow indeed, but his book told me the reason why he did. Not only that, but also what I were fated to do.

Zantai’s Story Chapter 3: My journey with monsters

I had been in that cave for too long and had recovered to full strength again. I was ready, to meet my journey for prevail. I packed up my gear and sat my destination further into Korvan Plateau, to undo my wrongs. These first steps were a piece of cake, scavenging and looting. There is so much to want and take, but only too loose its grasp for a death penalty by monsters no man can be ready for. I am. The book I have has detailed information about almost every monster there is to find in Korvan Plateau. The most common ones are probably the Sandclaws and the Korvan Scarabs. I will not lose myself to either one of these creatures just too only die and not fulfill my fate.[/spoiler]

For most Grim Dawn fans this expansion is a must-buy, and it will most certainly get new players into the game due to the gamemode, which people are familiar with from other ARPGs.

Grim Dawn will get another expansion after FG, I’m calling it.

Think I’d rather take note of what Zantai had to say in the 25th May stream.

"Any plans for new expansions post Forgotten Gods?
Fogotten Gods isn’t even out yet and you’re asking me for expansions after that. That will depend entirely on how Forgotten Gods does, but realistically the team would probably like to try some new things soon. We can’t be working on Grim Dawn forever. And financially speaking each expansion will sell less than the last. So keeping that in mind, while we expect Forgotten Gods to pay for itself and make us a profit as a company I’m not sure it’ll sell as well as Ashes of Malmouth did. That’s just the nature of people moving on to other games.

When we move on from Grim Dawn, will there be any possibility of picking Grim Dawn back up in the future - perhaps 5 or so years later?
I would certainly say that’s entirely possible. We’re not ruling out potentially doing a Grim Dawn 2 some day or some other games in the Grim Dawn universe. That’s all up to what the future holds. It’s too early to say."

Better to aim for a GD 2 than make yet another expansion which will only make the current game longer.

Most of the team have been working on GD since 2012-2013 so yeah, they need to tackle something different. I hope we get to see what else our clever and sneaky devs can come up with to keep us entertained. :stuck_out_tongue: