Grim Misadventure #15: New HUD Art

The new HUD looks brilliant. Much sharper than before and looks fitting for a game of such quality. Keep them coming!

I use mini maps all the time, I’d be lost without them. :wink:

If the HUD cant be smaller and more streamlined I like my HUD to the sides of my screen rather than in the middle of the screen as it blocks where my sight is mainly focused…maybe I’ve just been playing to much PoE.:undecided:

I also like it very much!

Very good feature would be first arpg with fps dinamic changing face-health bar.

I suggested it a long time ago here in dis forum.

That would be awesome and would justify the hero’s portrait at the HUB or anywhere else (I would prefer it on the left upper corner if the map eventually takes the right place).

+1, but they might not have enough time to put that into the game

That would be really nice

Well, right now it’s not even in a “corner” (at least on widescreens). Transparency isn’t a big deal, but the size is. It TQ I had small minimap and very small minimap, so yeah it wasn’t the most useful thing ever.

And has Mihalis said, the location text (IMHO really useless) takes too much place.

Perhaps with the mini map their could be options for size/location/transparency or something? Options in general would be a bonus when it comes to the HUD.

I’m a bid disappointed in the HUD. Was hoping for a second visual skill bar. It’s a shame that these game still only have one visual skill bar. But I guess I’m one of the few who thinks that.

Sorry to say… apart from re-skinning i see no changes to the HUD at all. I don’t feel repeating again what was discussed a year ago.

If this is just a re-skinning i’m pretty disappointed. Sorry to sound harsh but it’s either Crate has very bad art team or they are just plain lazy. Re-skinning is definitely not a reworked on the HUD.

That is your character portrait. :wink:

I was thinking along these lines as well, except instead of the face becoming bruised or beaten up I was just wondering if the characters head would express pain or grimace when he takes damage? I was also wondering if your character’s portrait would actually talk when you select dialogue options for quests? In the Occultist video you can see the character’s head looking around but whether or not it will actually do more than that remains to be seen.

And I’m sorry for being harsh as well but your ability to read is lazy! The title of the thread clearly states New HUD Art, not Reworked nor Reimagined HUD, simply New HUD Art, as in new artwork for the already established HUD. I also think Crate is far from being lazy if they are taking the time to go back and improve things.

Lastly I just want to ask one thing and that is whether or not the health and mana bars are going be animated? I can see the solid colour has been replaced with an awesome new texture but does this texture move or swirl around in any way? Otherwise love the new HUD guys! :smiley:

I can see where archaven is coming from with the reskinning thought. However, I would disagree that the art team is incompetent/lazy. It may not be the most glorious HUD ever produced where angels appear and sing sweet praises every time a mouseover occurs, but, it is far from being poor.

As for me, I need 3 things with the HUD. The thing that tells me things are good, going bad…or just got really ugly (Health Bar). I need something to tell me that my resource for making mobs ugly is available (MP bar). And last, I need the tools to accomplish this ugly-inducing prospect (skills).

Truthfully, I have never been one to put an overemphasis on the HUD as I put my skill where I want it and go…and make things ugly (for or against). :slight_smile:

Just had to login to say how much better the HUD looks now, fantastic work! :slight_smile:

can’t understand why did they change the first GUI, it surly is more appealing than the current one, I’d say they should reskin the old one and make a topic “vote” which GUI the fans love most!

I dont want to talk bad or anything, but really, this current GUI doesn’t look good! There is also nothing wrong to get insperation from diablo’s GUI, look at path of exile, its a bloody appealing GUI they got going there. Something like that with victorian feel will also blend well in this game.

This is just my opinion

Keep well

Since vertical screen real estate is so much more valuable within this genre (particularly since the advent of widescreen gaming), why not stick the UI up the sides of the screen? We can already see so much less vertically than horizontally, this would correct that a bit.

Well, I think vertical HP bars are okay, but if that’s the case, then I highly recommend having the ability to add a personal HP bar above/below the character itself.

Also, in regards to the actual change, I personally think the new bar has a bit too much light reflecting on it. And the colors both seem a bit too brown/gold for me. Perhaps a recolor in silver? Or a dark grey, maybe. I can’t say that I’m a big fan of the bronze/gold color. Lastly, the new energy bar color feels too green. The older one has a bit more turquoise or cyan added to the green, which looks like a better “energy” bar to me.

Just my opinion on it!

@Xiphan
I’m sorry to say is not my ability to read is lazy but your ability to think it’s even worst.

First and foremost why the hell would they have a NEW HUD art design which is basically just re-skinning?. Why the hell waste time on making a new HUD art design IF there are plans on reworking on the HUD?

So time had passed and discussions are just for the sake of discussions. Feedback is not really important and basically they can just cleverly re-skin the HUD and call it finalized?

There’s no time to waste and what not there are cost incurred and it’s not a concept art or anything. As a public funded project, you wouldn’t want to waste time on something that is going to change. Just call it finalized with this re-skinning and whether if anyone’s like it or not, said it’s Crate decision. Case closed.

@ Archavan

Well, when trying to make a new HUD or art in general, it’s always nice to try things and see how it turns out. I don’t have any problem with them skinning the HUD over and over until they find one which they see fit and which the community sees fit. It doesn’t hurt to show people it. If everyone hated it, I’m pretty sure that they would change to another one.

I do think a poll would be neat. But, it’s all up to the devs/art designers/whatever! ^.^

Because if you place your health and action bars to the side it will be unconvenient. It is out of your natural line of sight when you quickly need to look something up. That is why most menu’s are always at the bottom instead of the sides. It is logical design. To the side you only place stuff you don’t use a lot such as the map and quest objectives etc. Not your health and mana that you need to keep an eye on.

The issue I have in general. Really… I can understand if the average Joe still uses a low resolution like 1024x7something. But we’re gamers. Even on mediocre machines we are expected to play at least on a 1920x1080 with a fair amount of people even at 25xx resolutions. So I don’t get why the menu’s and graphics can’t be made smaller. We’re not 65 year olds with bad eye sight. The menu’s and health/mana bubbles don’t have to fill the entire width of the screen. WoW with its mods made that clear to me. I actually loved spending weeks on getting my UI the way I wanted. That’s how I learned that re-sizing most objects to half its size does most of the trick.

In that sense GD’s UI is pretty clean and minimalistic. And I like that.

I personally like the interface. It seems like some users complained about the gold color, but I think it gives it some snazz! Besides, since iron is supposed to be a valuable resource in this game, the gold interface makes the player character seem somehow special or otherwise not restricted by the mundane laws of the average citizen of the world. Maybe I’m looking into it too much, but the gold seems like a good representation of the player character (and it doesn’t seem gaudy either, in my opinion).

Above. Perfect Health and Mana “bars”. According to Bear Grylls and my own knowledge you have natural primordial ability to catch a sudden change in your field of view only by edge of your eye.
When lions, or wolves are stalking from your side, you don’t have to look directly at them. So if you have Diablo’s globes, you can enjoy playing a game, being in the center of action and still being able to notice changes in health and mana globes.

Shortly, there should be:
1.Big, eye-catchy H/M globes, “containers” etc
2.At the bottom corners of the screen/main menu

Please don’t try to reinvent a wheel. This is the only way(Diablo way, or PoE way) of making UI, not awkward “bars”. Globes are in harmony with nature and physiology of a human being;)

I have said:p

I am sure that you (Crate) could do that better, or just ask for our ideas:D Maybe some contest, brainstorm, etc. UI in my opinion is important as hell. That part of game should shine.