Grim Misadventure #15: New HUD Art

Oh man, that is some sexy HUD right there.
:cool:

I think new Crate Ui looks CooL! NEW Crate version is better than fanmade at least 4 me. (It will be good for a fan mod)

I like it! And please dont rush with alpha! A lot arpg fans are testin’ path of exile right now!

Make as mutch content as possible! And shape our little diamond!

PLEASE
DO NOT RUSh WITH RELEASE!

P.O.L.I.S.H.
CONTENT, CONTENT, CONTENT! It needs time!

Mihalis - Very great job. Yours HUD is better for me. Its simply, face our hero is not important to place on hud. And map is separate. To many information its no good.

To Michalis HUD I add info on which level we are, maybe instead of GD letters or below that.

Mihalis did a nice piece of work, as well as Crate;)

My 2 cents:

1. Life and mana bars should be bigger, symmetrical and in more “prominent” place, such as Mihalis did…or Blizzard North did (yep, I’m unveiled:p)

2. Gold/brass colour looks better, I think that silver ornaments are too sad, also, in my opinion they are both too big and distracting.

3. I think I like map placement in main menu, but box with area name is unnecessary. There should be a mana bar.

You guys are doing great job with Grim Dawn, I’m looking forward to it.

Agreed with MadWasp - do not rush and polish game more and more (HUD as well;)

I Like Mihalis his HuD even more then the re-made one by Crate, no stuff in his HuD that doesnt need to be there its just a little bit more slick.

Hud feels a bit to cluttered/compressed.
Health mana next to eachother would already be a huge improvement. Relocating or remove the mapname/part is fine. Perhaps just a small popup on the right which fades away after a few sec.

Just saw Mihalis’s one. Much better. Don’t know why every company wants to try so hard to make something unique but less good. Some things just need to be simple and effective.

Yeah, I like the updated crate UI better than the original crate UI. I was prepared to give it a thumbs sideways. (Mostly because I always thought the general direction left a bit to be desired)

But then I saw what Mihalis did. I like this direction much better. I think you could take some of his principles and apply it to the new crate UI, and come up with something pretty stellar.

For the most part I like the new Crate HUD best, though I like having the minimap in the upper right hand corner like in Mihalis’ HUD, rather than as part of the main bar on the bottom. I kind of like having a picture of the character in the HUD, it’s unnecessary, but I think it looks cool.

Awesome! Keep us informed and up to date!!!

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Main reason the mini-map isn’t in the top corner is that we can’t currently set transparency on it and, if we could, it would probably result in the map becoming unreadable as it is just a low-res top-down image of the levels.

At some point I want to add in transparency and create some sort of rendering technique to generate sharper level-boundaries in the mini-map so that it is easier to interpret. I don’t want to delay alpha for that though. I think it would be better to attempt that later on once we have something released.

We also have the new quest tracker in the top right, so we’d have to do a little work to integrate the quest tracker and the mini-map so that they’d both work together up there.

Personally though, I never use the mini-map. I’d just assume leave it closed where it doesn’t take up any space.

I’m definitely in favor of any and all HUD changes not delaying the alpha. :wink:

Nice update :slight_smile:

Did Test Character #0100340 have a good night with the ladies :slight_smile:

Might we see a more of the details behind the HUD? Like re post one of the pictures with text/lines to show what each button (or group of buttons) do.

@Mihalis. Your HUD mock up looks pretty good but it’s missing a few things from the original ones that may or may not be important. I am also more used to the mini map being on the top right but in the end I could always adjust to where it is right now.

I still want to know what that left globe thing next to the presumable character level is about.

This sounds like a great idea. Not worth the delay if it can be worked on later and it isn’t game breaking. It also will give us a chance to get a feel for it in the Alpha and maybe some, such as myself, will change their minds after trying it.

I really like the new HUD. It’s got some “unnecessary” stuff on it, but hey, I like me some bells and whistles. I like having the character’s avatar in it too.

As for efficiency, I would definitely want to see the mana and health bar on top of eachother (like they currently are). That only takes one glance, while seperating them takes two glances.

The new HUD is great!
I would not go the Mihalis road, as it may seem more readable but in the end it’s far less elegant and immersive. And the new HUD really is readable enough.

The mana bar may need a brighter or a more saturated color though.

Wait so the left sphere thing is the character’s avatar?

I couldn’t actually tell until taking a closer look at the newer HUD. I thought it was related to which quest you were focusing on or something…

I like the new HUD and it looks very good. There is one thing that could change to make it a bit more useful for the user. You have a non-centric display of mana and hitpoints and I’d like to see this concept extended to the menu and quickbar buttons. Move the left hand menu buttons to the far right and allow the quickbar buttons (at least the first 8) to be directly below the health and mana bars.

With this layout you’ll have all of your requisite information in single contained viewing location. Your auras, health and mana bars and cool downs (which are all needed for quick operation) will be in the lower left screen with ancillary information on the right.

Dejnov.

How about a mash-up between the character avatar and the health bar? Have his face get beaten up the lower his health is like in doom. That way we can have one HUD element that both shows the character and his life.

Heh, I always liked the old FPS HUDs (e.g. Doom and Wolf3D), where the characters face would respond to the game. Laughing while pulling off amazing stuff, seeing blood all over the face when getting shot, etc…