Grim Misadventure #167 - A Look Back at 2019

And for me the transmuting set items was the most important new feature in FG. It allowed me to test different builds / sets I had not been able to before.

with all seriousness, that could be a good end game for campaign: Rebuilding stuff… we hope the townbuilder spirit is imported to Grim Dawn., repairing bridges, protecting Devil Crossing by placing watchtower vantage turrets… or securing a bit of Lowr Crossing and Burwitch Village (woudnt it be nice to see some patrol soldiers in these areas and stores are opened once again… or perhaps… greenifying Homestead with some farming and planting quests… and establishing Fort Ikon as a impregnable stronghold … these kind of small things… ( we know this is possible as Crate did the same quests such as restoring Malmouth base and clearing Blackiron Docks.

This i see possible only though after 10 years from release… when gd hits 10 year anniversary :rofl:

Screenshot_4
It makes sense now

That’s interesting how differently Opinions can be. I really love Glocken Gerda’s work, especially since it leads to an official Implementation, but for me the stuff which was added officially was still way better than a Fancreation, because visually it looks less Alien but proper fitting to the rest of the GD UI, which leads to a more immersive experience, and i also found it somewhat smoother implemented. I see the value in GI in sense of how customizable it is and the certain Features it still offers compared to the QoL Patch(though some feel to me borderline cheating like teleporting) but from my perspective the vanilla Game doesn’t need this kind of depth, but rather a easy, smooth and fitting implementation, and that’s we got with the QoL. Still i see how someone who still use GI have more Value in Features like Component Stash Transfer.

TBH it’s right now pretty confusing to talk about the stuff especially with you… but i’d argue a feeling like being annoyed or such isn’t really something which you truly can chose, but something which happen from itself because it’s more an emotion than a decision. If i’m annoyed from people it’s not like i think in my head: “Oh, i’d like to be annoyed from this Guy” moreover it simply happens that i’m annoyed. And Ignoring is such a thing. For one i don’t find it a good idea to ignore community people per se, because what’s the Point of a Community then? For another without knowing the Context, i don’t know which Posts / People i should ignore, which means: If i don’t read this annoying Posts how do i know this Posts are annoying?

Yeah okay, if you do each difficulty all DLCs / Expansions than i can see how it stretches or “bloat” the Game, though it’s a great thing that the difficultys unlock by only beating the Base-Game which is why i focus on DLC mostly in Ultimate.

About the Town Builder. TBH i’m not really fan of this Genre. Based on what you call “town builder” (i found some weird association with Age of Empires in a nother topic from certain people) there might be some few exceptions, but in general it’s one of the very few genres which i can’t do much. Banished as example never truly interested me. Still though the screenshots looks cool, and i will look into it. Maybe Crate can convince me to their the Game, and afer delievering such a amazing ARPG like GD and i really like their Game-Design Philosophy, thats why i really want to support them. But some of my friends already dig the townbuilder game.

I also looking forward to these other Projects and the Xbox Port.

@LightningYu I hope you can forgive me, its all but just me sh1tposting but now its 2020 so gotta be a man now and Zentai made me taste some suspension so im scared as hell to incur his wrath…Im a true fan of Crate but in a crazy way… Anyway whatever it is lets just support our dear beloved Crate. I myself im a fan of both arpg genre and strategy/simulation so Im digging the new project as well. Im sure that you will be forced to buy it because it will be so awesome…haha… plus Crate is not stopping GD updates so we all good for quite some time it seems while we wait…

3 Likes

#BridgesMatter

New class? Blacksmith? Fabricator? Inventor? Originator? Deviser? Contriver? Mechanic? Freemason? Artificer? Stoneworker? Farrier?

j/k I know Crate has no plans of adding a new class.

1 Like

TLDR: Old man grognard grumblings.

Since I started playing almost a year and a half ago I’ve found that every single Grim Misadventure’s has provided something awesome. Might be patch news. Might be insight for the reason behind a design choice. Might be insight into what the next step is. Each and every one of them has been great. QoL stuff. Updated stuff. I’ve never been disappointed. If they manage this for a near four year old game, ESPECIALLY how fast stuff gets spit out in this industry simply for the purpose of spitting stuff out, rather than actually enhancing to the game, then I’d say that’s pretty genius.

I have a saying I often use in circumstances like this. “Oh I get (annoyed/creeped out/angry/frustrated/etc) about it. I’m just too old to care.” :smiley:

I think we hear a lot from the fringes. The true die-hards and the true haters. I’m probably right smack in the middle. I love to take challenges (I’m one of the HC Classless 100 survivors…after several attempts :D) and I love doing my own theory crafting and stuff but I’m no where NEAR the level of a few of the die-hards on here. I’m fairly easy to please. And since I tangentially work in the same industry (filmmaker) if they say they’re doing something I know for a fact they have really really really good reasons for it.

Fandom tends to feel like the more they love something the more they have a right to dictate how something is done. Hate to break it but that’s not how it works. You can absolutely voice your own opinion. Give great (in your opinion) about how something might work better. But it’s Crate’s game. They’re making it. They’re reaping it. We just play it. The only definitive means you have is buying or not buying the game. If no one buys it, then Crate doesn’t make money and then they have to figure out why. Which comes back to the opinions expressed by the users. But it’s a fine line to walk. You can listen to the fan base so much that you end up creating a watered down version of the vision your team had for the game or you stick closer to your team’s vision/guns knowing that it might be less ‘successful’. It’s the conundrum. Armchair sports is another great example of this kind of fandom. The rabid vehemence some sports fans spew about other teams or even their own team when they aren’t ‘winning’ frankly boggles my mind. See the same thing with gaming fans and fans of movies like Star Wars, etc.

I know some people think that they react this way because they love it. But I actually question that line of thinking. I LOVE Star Wars. In fact, I can pretty much say definitively that you might not find someone more affected by the original trilogy than me (another story) but when the sequels (or prequels) for that matter didn’t have the same impact on me I didn’t feel I was owed or had a right to dictate how the storyteller’s told their stories. I have a right to like them or not like them. I have a right to say I wish it’d gone this way or that way. But are they wrong and I’m right. Not a chance, sorry. That’ll never be the case. But so many people rant/scream/hurl how right they are. My honest answer to that is always the same: Go do it then. Make your own.

Funny thing though is that if they actually do that it’ll mellow out how they react to stuff in the future.

No idea where this rant came from. So hopefully if you got this far you skipped the TLDR part. HA! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The other thing to remember regarding questions being asked again and again is that new players are discovering the game all the time and they won’t know much about what Crate is planning for the game in the future. They’re simply getting into the game, enjoying it, buying the expansions and asking if there are more to come. Perfectly reasonable from their point of view. Forum veterans jumping on them because they ask doesn’t really sit well with me beause that just gives them a bad impression of the community. It’s annoying to the veterans, but the newbies aren’t to know the question’s been asked so often. So just answer it with a smile or ignore the question and don’t answer it at all. You’re not obliged to; that’s what the mods are here for if you don’t want to. :grinning:

5 Likes

Well said, when I finished Shadowrun and Dragonfall my first question was, “what’s next?”
I wanted more of what I had just experienced.

I can imagine the same must be on the mind of the newbie who bested a motherfucking Primordial after an epic 3 stage battle with badass music playing in a background that looks straight out of an acid trip.

1 Like

+1 The GI health bars are not aesthetically pleasing unlike the official ones in my opinion. They are far more configurable though.

2 Likes

OH hell yes! I’ve been wishing for more bridge building since forever. I always wanted that Twin Falls bridge, and to have Act 2 more interconnected like it used to be in early access, though I know they broke it up into chunks for a reason, I loved the non-linear design.

Where was that image of wishlist bridges I made years ago?

Just make the bridges buildable from the other side, so the player still has to travel the intended path to get there the first time.

4 Likes

Crate, you’ve done an amazing job. Period. (I hope all your families are rightfully proud)

Random - I was just pitching GD to a co-worker with a Diablo tat I was unaware of heh

speaking of building bridges (literal & metaphorical), i wonder if there’s a secret in game faction out there whose jobs is to destroy specific bridges (literal & metaphorical) around cairn.

who knows… maybe they’re an evil group keeping good-oriented celestials/ascendants/mortals/beings inside their secret domain, beyond reach of cairn citizens unless special bridges to their domain are rebuilt.

or maybe they’re a good group keeping evils influences from yugol/chthonian/whatever by destroying those bridges…

maybe… there’ll be a bridge merchant/smith next! in dark souls 2, there’s a dude selling wooden ladder to us. yes. really. so a bridge merchant/smith isn’t a nonsense!

bridge memes incoming.

1 Like

One of the best games ever, keep it up!

ps: would like too see in the future Mogdrogen going vs Witch gods, since they took a lead after forgotten gods expansion.

2 Likes

So, you could say that "It’s (almost) over 9000!!??)

1 Like

After killing Bloodfeast you become the Lord of the Grobles and order your new minions to build a new bridge with the dragon bones scattered all over the Jagged Wastes.

5 Likes

Nice, so we will finally be able to fix that bridge and explore the rest of old Arkovia? Maybe even find the capitol? I assume it was there in the north.
I never found any invisible items at the illusionist. Is that some expansion to be purchased I somehow missed?

Coven’s Refuge faction vendor iirc.

2 Likes

:muscle::grin::+1:excellent!!! Theres nore to come​:scream:!!! Exited​:partying_face:

Thanks! I never noticed. Will check.