Grim Misadventure #175 - A Look Back at 2020

If it was anything like the “supposed” outcry of the new shattered realm sets, it ought to be epic.

@Zantai, don’t suppose there will be like one last push to ask the community what last few things they would like to see, at any point? Regardless, this is/continues to be the best ride ever. No matter which ARPG, be it PoE, D3, TL, all other indie arpgs…this one continues to be the only one in which holds my true attention. :+1::clap:

2 Likes

yeah Diablo 2 in GD format :slight_smile: I have been dying to playing that mod forever. When I am get burned out of Grim Dawn that mod is what I will play next hopefully

I’ve been playing GD since 2014. Pretty sad to see it end but I’m also glad to say it’s one favourite games of all time. Now though, its time to look forward to the next patch, Final Frontier (also hopefully a grim dawn CRPG one day. Please crate make it happen, I would literally, figuratively die!) and whatever else you guys have got in store.

2 Likes

Any updates on GD for XBOX?

Very happy to have been a part of this family. And think fondly of a Grim Dawn 2 or something with an unreal engine 5 would be just fantastic.

Thank you for making this one of the best games in life

3 Likes

It has recently faced yet another hurdle. Microsoft has changed requirements for certification to also include passing certification on the Xbox Series X, for compatibility across the entire Xbox ecosystem.

On a related note, Xbox Series X dev kits are in short supply for some reason.

4 Likes

I know you probably don’t want to comment on this, but I thought I’d ask anyway, is it possible for GD on Xbox to come out in 2021?

I hope Farthest Frontier will also be available DRM-free on GOG? You guys have been great and well-supporting of GOG [and vice versa] with Grim Dawn and hope you can continue with your next game. I look forward to Farthest Frontier!

I’d really hope so given that, to my knowledge, it’s only held up by the series X cert, but I don’t want anyone to read my response and say they’ve lost faith in the company because we spoke too soon. :smiley:

5 Likes

Alright, thanks, looking forward to Farthest Frontier!
You’ve certainly earned my faith :wink:

i think its a mistake to produce other things than grim dawn,2,3 and so on. you had ultimate success with it and never change a running system. only my thoughts on that. all your other projects will be in the shadows of grim dawn 100% confirmed but as always i wish you the best for the future!

Before ending everything. Can we get a 2H MI Sword focused Pierce damage with attack speed? Please? Can support Tricksters, Tacticians, Blademasters(Would fit to the new pierce set)? No need for %100 Armor Piercing, I can work with %50. I mean, Rancor/Spite, Nadaan are for casters. Razorleaf supports Tricksters and seems good but has no conversion but bleed side in unnecessary because there are much better alternatives for bleed trickster and no gear support for pierce damage. Bladefury also for ABB but never saw anyone use it. And there is no single MI sword with pierce damage.

Just off the top of my head, I could name you a number of indie companies that fall into that rut and eventually close.

I strongly disagree with the notion that a success begets an endless stream of successes. If we are going to be here 5, 10, 20 years from now, we need to have a diverse portfolio to tap into, not just for financial stability but for the creative flow of the employees.

24 Likes

and i recognized that iam here for 11 years now… crazy time, thanks for everything @Crate

4 Likes

i only want a grim dawn 2 zantai :stuck_out_tongue: haha i buy everything from crate lol haha

1 Like

So long GRIM DAWN …

As Medierra said many years ago

"A big factor for working on something else though is that I don’t think it is good to keep all our eggs in one basket, as a studio. Our primary goal is to keep the company alive so we can keep being independent and making games. While it’s certainly possible to focus on one franchise and stay alive for a long time doing it, it’s riskier having all your future dependent on the continued success of one game property in one genre. Diversifying the types of games we can make and the IPs we own is a good way for us to better secure out future.

Beyond just branching out to work on other genres, it has always been a goal of mine to be able to work on concurrent projects. Not only do we not want to be pigeon-holed into one genre but I think it’s important for us to be able to work on multiple projects at time. That way, we’re not just counting on the success of a single big release to keep us alive, where if it under-performs, it could take years to course-correct and finish another project (years we likely wouldn’t have). This also helps to increase the efficiency of the studio, as we can shift people around based on the needs of a project at any give time, instead of having lulls at the beginning and end of a single project, where not everyone is needed at full capacity. Another factor is that people get burnt out working on one thing for too many years. When people get burnt out, they leave and look for something new. I feel like we have a great team and I want to keep them engaged with fresh new projects and not solely grinding away on ARPGs for the next 20 years."

4 Likes

I played Grim Dawn from just after it left early access until now all the way through my 4 years of University and beyond and every step of the way through, I have always looked forward to these Misadventures and any other related updates or snippets into the game’s development.

I vaguely remember you and @medierra talking about them in a thread at one point where both of you mentioned that these are written in your personal time and are something you decided to do and continue for 175 entries now Zantai. I can’t thank you enough for it :clap:.

17 Likes

farewell!

/10

Hi Guys. Ive logged about 900 hours in Grim Dawn, the best ARPG I have played ever, and I have played many… Its super sad to hear that this will be the last major update, but all good things come to an end, I certainly will continue to play GD, still many things to discover, and I still havent beaten some of the super bosses.

I have added your new game to wish list, its not my kind of game, but im happy to support Crate entertainment.

We can only wish for Grim Dawn 2.0 xD

5 Likes