Grim Misadventure #175 - A Look Back at 2020

Grim Dawn is a game special to me because it’s one of those games that helped me define the world of ARPGs with its diverse gameplay mechanics and unique storyline. I’ve been playing it for more than a year and I became underwhelmed when Crate decided to cease updating it, since I’ve also expected a lot of new content from them this year.

I do have some high hopes for both of the upcoming projects Crate has been working on. I feel like GD2 would be a response to some unexplained lore surrounding world of Cairn as well as adding a lot of new things that we didn’t get to see in the previous game. The concept of Farthest Frontier is also pretty interesting. Personally, I’ve never played a town builder but the game itself makes me really want to try it once its released.

1 Like

Completely agree. Sure, some better (more fine grained textures and details) visual effects would be nice indeed, but the overall visual direction of Grim Dawn is just fantastic, and I hope they won’t deviate too much from it for Grim Dawn 2, if we ever get it (hopefully we will)

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Please upload Nemesis vs Nemesis video(s)

with the end of grim misadventures, I feel like friend has died…

I really really hope there will be new expansions in the far future… i really love this game!

I sure the game is going to be good but the action RPG genre needs new life not another city builder among the 80 out this year good luck with the new game guys.

I guess we know why there isn’t a grim dawn xpac coming…your company got its name from grim dawn not a city builder but meh oh well.

They’ve been working on ARPGs since Grim Dawn kickstarted 8-9 years ago, some of them even longer from working on ARPGs in other companies like Titan Quest/Diablo 2. Let them take a break from the genre and when they come back, we’ll get something truly game changing :wink:.

1 Like

Well, the company was formed before they even started working on the game. And even if they hadn’t as Evil_Baka said, they want a break so they can refresh their ARPG batteries and come up with new ideas. Or would you rather they continue doing the same old, same old all the time, becoming less passionate about their work, burnt out and just churn out the same old, same old stuff. I know which I’d prefer even if I do hope they’ll get back into ARPG gaming fairly soon. For the health of the employees and the company I’d rather they make the games they want to make.

7 Likes

Forcing :crate: into making GD2 or 3rd expansion would kill the quality. I’m sure you’ve seen that with other companies.

3 Likes

Because Crate doesn’t want to run the franchise into the ground by making constant sequels. It’s usually bad for business (unless you are filled to the brim with microtransactions like the EA sports games) and also causes major burnout for the developers.

Dude, we need to take this time machine you’ve got and market it. Man, we could make a killing. 100% confirmed! Fact!

2 Likes

I had a dream where you announced the third expansion in frosty land. I was very happy during this dream but when I woke up…:disappointed_relieved:.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not the only one with GD dreams.

1 Like

Reg. 3rd Expansion, I think they’d be willing to make it and I think, from what I read in the Forums, they also have a lot of ideas. Not sure, if they WANT to make it. I’d say, they should, because to be honest, I’d rather see a Third Expansion to an established idea than a NEW game to an established Idea… Another ARPG from Crate should/could be placed in a totally different Fantasyworld setting, as different and as new as GD was. That would give the freedom needed to be even more creative.

Reg. the City Builder… not sure what to expect, but as a 4X Fan and also as a Fan of the Anno Series… I am at least curious.

1 Like

I would love to get a third extension. I’ve played Last Epoch, PoE, Wolcen but it’s all for nothing. GD has stolen my heart. City Builder doesn’t interest me, but I’ll still buy because I respect Crate a lot :hearts:!

2 Likes

Crate have made it clear for a long time now that there’ll be no more expansions for the game. The possible storylines they’ve mentioned they could possibly pursue they’ve also said would be better as a sequel. They’ve also made it clear they’re feeling somewhat burnt out on ARPG’s atm and what to try other things. Plus Medierra, head honcho at Crate, believes they need a broad range of games in their portfolio rather than relying on the one franchise.

2 Likes

none of these games are fully finished, are they? Have you played a german Classic, Sacred (Underworld), when it came out? I loved the game and the setting…

Last Epoch is still in early access and has potential. Wolcen is a misunderstanding with nice graphics. I played Sacred and have fond memories of the game.

I think it is high time to get over it. Although it is very hard.

Get over what?