Grim Misadventure #175 - A Look Back at 2020

Also the community league season 1 with season 2 coming soon™ :smiley:

Edit: Kinda rude of me to not comment the Grim Misadventure itself, it’s just hard to find the correct words and I would say that @Armored-Otter managed to capture the way I feel about this perfectly:

Thank you for everything Crate and we all hope you will find the energy and motivation to start working on GD 2 soon without burning yourselves out! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah, I feel similar. Sometimes I want to cry and it’s partly sadness that it’s all coming to a close (though I knew it would happen one day) and happiness for the team for all they’ve accomplished in making the game. If they continue to bring this level of skill, experience and passion to their other games Crate’s future is assured.

1 Like

2020 was a hard pill to swallow and as i have it 2021 also not off on a flying start but hey what can we do that’s life :grin:. Hopefully the gaming community boom in 2021.
I am still wishing for an Grim dawn Expansion but i don’t think that will happen but man the maps got so much space left :slight_smile:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Thank you for your work in starting the PvP/seasons trend! Content creators such as yourself will keep this game alive in the community with these inspiring concepts, even after GD receives its last update. Our Grim Misadventures are far from over, but its inevitable that so many players in this community go their separate ways to explore other games until the day comes when we all return to the world of Cairn together! I will be eagerly awaiting that day as I am sure all of you will be too.

@Zantai, thank you and all the employees at Crate for your legendary patience and tireless passion for this title. This game will always be one of my favorites of all time and ill never forget all the “aha!” And “Eureka!” Moments it provided to me, so much dopamine stimulation!! Most of all thanks for always being involved with the community, listening to us and actually interacting with us. Its a human element that I’ve never seen from a developer, and thus something I have come to know as unique to the Crate brand.

Looking forward to Farthest Frontier, and the future projects that Crate produces!

7 Likes

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees, my body is ready for that Farthest Frontier!

Will Farthest Frontier come to GOG as well?

Best of luck in 2021! Just got into Grim Dawn, and I love it

1 Like

Looking forward to see you again on Crate’s forum. :wink:

1 Like

I was actually starving for some good town builder with interesting resource management (sry They are Billions, you ain’t it) , and I was kinda tired of going back to Settlers II again and again :smiley:

I have big hopes for Farthest Frontier.

And yeez, it’s 2021 already. Time flies when you are locked at home for 10 months.

1 Like

So, grim dawn version update 2.0 will not be available. But we will get GRIM DAWN 2 instead.:star_struck::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Heed my prayers oh glorious Crate staff! Let this be what I hope it is!

When loyalist items pack 3 Crate? Thank you for all you have done for us.

I’m quite sad after the announcement of the ends of the Grim Misadventures.
I understand the name makes no longer sense as it will be used for GD and FF and no longer only GD, so it should leave to make room for something with a more neutral name.
But there is no date for that new letter. :worried:

I really loved having at the end of the GM a date I could look forward for the next piece of news.
I like having that rendez-vous instead of wondering when next news will happen. :cry:

Thanks a lot for your continuous support Crate!
Throw us a stream any day if possible just for fun ;p

1 Like

@medierra @Zantai and everyone at Crate, I consider you an exemplary game developer…

I remember following your update since kickstarter days, your early video of recording game sounds with quite literally sticks and stones, the first GD soundtrack teasers, the longest wait for the launch in early access (I got in when the 2nd act was being made), the ages in early access until 1.0, the addition of each class being a BIG deal, the devotion system being another slow tease (but so delicious when it finally came out), I remember when The Hidden Path seemed to me like a crazy long and complicated endgame challenge which only my latest best equipped character could maybe tackle (nowadays it’s like 15 minute effort haha), The Cruicible release, the expansions and most of all… the countless improvements of everything over so many years that you’ve given for free…

My mind still is blown by the titanic efforts you’ve put in this project, how f**king consistent you’ve been and how you’ve came to creating one of the most beloved and acclaimed ARPG’s from the days when you’ve recorded game sounds with the mentioned before, let’s say, primitive devices.

The tale of Crate is a miraculous one. In the days of video games being first and foremost businesses, you’ve been incomparably generous with your prices and free content flow and are a living proof that in the dog eat dog era you can choose to remain decent and with dedication build your business around that. And prevailed.

I hope you will stay independent and won’t let anyone influence your carefully built success, work ethics and attitude towards gamers. So many indie devs got screwed in one way or another, the AAA studios are hopelessly lost in $$$ addiction/dependency.

I feel like today games prices are superficially blown out of proportion and with most of games I own I feel like I’ve overpaid for (and the paid money go over the ones who created the games). With Grim Dawn, on the other hand, I feel like I owe you guys!

You’ll have my support with the new project. Your sheer dedication for so many years makes it a no-brainer for me. And I hope for GD2 within my lifespan :smiley:

Dear Crate, please keep being Crate, the exemplary game developer we love.

11 Likes

Thats not an mmo only feature,base building is in plenty of rpg’s

Thank you all for the kind words!

Just remember, this isn’t goodbye. Stay a while, and…come along on our next adventure! :wink:

25 Likes

But not next misadventure. :cry:

5 Likes

LOL player housing is not the same as base building. Good try though. /facepalm

When I bought this game I had no idea what I was buying–none. I had passed it by often enough thinking it must be about the sport of “falconeering” or “hawking”–by my character, who would wear a sort of crinkled stove-pipe hat while the birds dutifully perched on his glove until sent somewhere to do something. It just didn’t appeal to me, obviously…:wink:

But then, in a pique of boredom, I finally decided to “toe the waters” and I bought GD. In no time at all I became fascinated and entranced–really began loving the game–it completely pulled me in. It wasn’t just another aRPG–I was not a falconeer, of course, and I was relieved about that. But there was actually a very entertaining story to unravel and to follow–not just mindless button pushing–not a “kill everything that moves” game–nah, it was a much saner “kill almost everything that moves” game. And work the macabre, dark story wherever it may lead! I love the story. I bought the expansions and played on. Couldn’t stop–can’t stop now. The game flows–it is mesmerizing, really. Music, graphics, sound–it all works together so well! A big part of my fascination is the sheer originality of most of the game–I constantly got the feeling that “I haven’t quite ever seen this before!” when the territories opened up and the endless supply of really well-done monsters tried to do me in.

I even like most of the voice acting. Some of it was as good as I’ve ever heard–and some of it was as bad as I’ve ever heard, too. But in total it enhanced the game and the story. Voice is good–especially when it is done well–really fleshes out the story.

Gog says Metacritic gave this game a 76…which possibly was a somewhat accurate score six years ago! But is it accurate today? Garsh no!..:wink: At the worst–this game is at least a solid 90. Please talk to Metacritic about that score–you guys deserve so much better! Games that receive so much attention and love, for such an extended period, are as rare as hen’s teeth. That 76 score does not reflect the game today! This is a failure of the MC scoring system, imo.

Looking forward to the next and final update (really? Can you stop, Crate?) because I can’t stop playing…:wink: Thanks again for such a pleasant surprise in such a wonderful game!

WaltC (ex-Birdman Extraordinaire)

5 Likes