Grim Misadventure #24: Occultist Mastery - Part 1

Welcome back to Grim Misadventures! We have now covered both the Soldier and Demolitionist. This leaves us with one last Alpha class: the Occultist!

If you missed our Soldier and Demolitionist updates, you can read them here:

Soldier:
Part 1
Part 2

Demolitionist:
Part 1
Part 2

Professional Occultist Build

“Once hunted by imperial forces in an effort to control eldritch power, the Occultist’s craft focuses heavily on summoning and borrowed powers granted by the three witch “gods” Bysmiel, Solael and Dreeg. Their diverse arts include abhorrent curses and spells that inflict damage with poison, acid, and entropic energy. Excelling with neither sword nor gun, they can use either to augment their offense.”

Occultists are masters of the eldritch powers, terrible and devastating. Occultists destroy their enemies with debilitating curses and forbidden magic. When that is not enough, they can summon powerful beings to aid them in battle. As with the Demolitionist, none of the Occultist skills are dependent on weapons, so you are not restricted to a ranged or melee build. Both are viable.

Below are some of the lower level skills you can look forward to as a master of the dark arts:

Dreeg’s Evil Eye
“Summons one of the infinite eyes of Dreeg, the great guardian of the hidden realm. The eye quickly speeds toward the target and then detonates itself.”

Dreeg’s Evil Eye hurls a fast-moving projectile at your target, which inflicts heavy poison damage over time. The first modifier for this skill causes the eye to burst on impact, dealing acid damage to all enemies near your target. The second modifier increases the potency of its toxins and gives it a chance to stun or terrify afflicted enemies. The last modifier adds bloody shards to the eye, spraying nearby enemies with piercing projectiles that inflict bleed damage.

Curse of Frailty
“A cruel word of power that robs enemies of their fortitude, making them slow and fragile.”

Curse of Frailty is a debilitating word of power that slows all enemies within its area of influence and increases their vulnerability to physical harm. The modifier for this skill further weakens the constitution of your enemies, making them more susceptible to magical attacks.

Summon Familiar
“Summon a mythical storm raven to support you. Storm ravens are eldritch creatures of uncanny intelligence and magical ability quite different from mundane ravens. Some believe they are not birds at all but rather some manner of ancient sky spirit for which the raven is a preferred manifestation. Only one raven may be summoned at any one time.”

Summon Familiar conjures a mythical beast from the eldritch void to support you in battle. The storm raven is a powerful minion which hurls orbs of lightning at your enemies. The modifiers for the raven unlock its skills, including a healing skill, a protective aura, and a lightning bolt.

Bloody Pox
“Shunned even by many Occultists for the prolonged suffering it inflicts, this abhorrent curse calls down a virulent plague to spread amongst foes, inexorably sapping their life-force and causing them to bleed from every orifice.”

Bloody Pox is a vicious curse that embodies the darker side of the Occultist art. The curse spreads like a virulent plague, dealing % health and bleeding damage to all it spreads to. Modifiers for this skill add new damage components, reduced enemy damage, and a chance to confuse those inflicted.

Building your Occultist:
Players focused on the Occultist mastery will unlock an arsenal of powerful debuffs, damage over time effects, and summons. The Occultist is a master of the eldritch powers who does not flinch at the darker side of magic.

Players focused on other masteries should pick the Occultist for their second mastery if they want to augment their skill set with debuffs and minions. Hybrid builds can also look forward to class names such as: Witchblade, Pyromancer, Witch Hunter, and Warlock.

Check back on 07/08/13 for the second part of our Occultist reveal, along with alpha player builds!

Attachment: Occultist Mastery.jpg
Attachment: Eye of Dreeg.jpg
Attachment: Curse of Frailty.jpg
Attachment: Summon Familiar.jpg
Attachment: Bloody Pox.jpg

I love the pure Occultist… truly the most fun I’ve had playing the game to date (in over 100 hours :P) Bloody Pox is so much fun… I’m amazed at the resilience that this class has as I initially figured I’d be kiting everything… and in the end, it was very toe-to-toe capable!

Still want to get the raven. But the skill point investment to go into occultist get the raven and the heal is too much for my Soldier.

Loving my pure Occultist at the moment. Currently playing around with a build I like to call “Follower of Dreeg”, after one of Ulgrim the Chef’s stories. Focuses entirely on the poison & acid trees of the Occult mastery, as well as all skills tied to Dreeg, for example modifiers for the Eye (see above), even if they don’t deal poison or acid damage.

Also included are a few skills that buff the main ones, such as a single point in Curse of Frailty and max points in its modifier Vulnerability (for increased poison and acid damage) and a single point in Bloody Pox (for AoE). Basically, combat goes like this:

1. Cast Bloody Pox, dealing area DoT
  2. Cast Curse of Frailty, slowing enemies down
  3. Fire off Eye of Dreeg as many times as possible on enemies suffering from Curse of Frailty, as they take increased poison and acid damage
  4. I’m hoping with beta I’ll be able to add a dual mastery skill to this combo, such as Blitz for fast-paced damage or Albrecht’s Aether Ray to clear any survivors off the screen :rolleyes:

Will work on it more when the level cap ups with beta. Anyway, another good update Zantai!
Cheers,
Younghappy :slight_smile:

really is an amazing class, either with soldier or pure, both are equaly viable and fun to play

I love Doom Bolt! Waiting for Part 2.

I find Bloody Pox particularly satisfying, especially when I make it spread in tightly packed groups of mobs. I keep my distance while they bleed to death and my Hellhound picks them one by one. Pure evil! :smiley:

Or I can safely clean entire rooms because it can be cast thru walls.

Interesting… 112 unspent skill points. This character is roughly level 38.3

With no second mastery chosen, and an odd number of skill points (Not divisible by 3), this character was granted skills points as a quest reward or the number we get per level decreases from 3 at some point…

Anyways, love the occultist! I should submit my build. There’s a Youtube video of it on my channel in my sig! :smiley:

May be a developer only magic! :stuck_out_tongue:

The level cap will be increasing with beta and final release, and of course the devs already have access to any level they want, they’re not restricted to the alpha level cap! :stuck_out_tongue:

Latest char I’ve been playing is a witchblade. Using mend flesh, witchfire and blade arc. Very fun.

I know that but you’re missing the point.

Currently we get 3 skill points per level. 112 is not divisible by 3. Which means that either this character got skill points as a reward, a developer option, or we start getting less/more than 3 per level at some point. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or instead of giving a char a random level they gave it a random number of skill points.

Kind of sounds like a developer option :wink:

Oh now I see what you mean. :stuck_out_tongue: I highly doubt it’s the third option, I don’t think the devs would do that, but the first one is definately a possibility, as some quests in TQ granted skill points as rewards. However, could just be a dev option like you said too, we’ll just have to wait and see. :wink:

I used a program to find then modify variables like Level, Stats, Attributes, Iron, etc. Currently though, I want to find how to mod the attack speed attribute, I think attack speed is 1 which means 100% so 125% attack speed is actually 1.25, or 0.75.

I mean the class name warlock alone has me sold.

I would like a copy of this program and the applicable variables :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanx for the mastery info Zantai. The occultist has some amazing skills. :wink:

Yep cant wait for beta