Grim Misadventure #31: Nightblade Mastery Pt.1

Hello and welcome to our latest Grim Misadventure. Today, we will continue our coverage of new content coming your way soon. As you probably inferred from the thread’s title, we will be going over the upcoming Nightblade mastery. It has evolved significantly since our last iteration, though you will still find some familiar skills.

So let’s dive in!

Expert Level Nightblade Build

“Nightblades were clandestine warriors that sold their services to the great houses of the empire. Nightblades excel with all manner of martial weapons, but are even more feared for the deadly blade magic that is the secret of their trade. Nightblades are not suited to go toe to toe with tougher enemies and rely on illusion to close for quick, devastating attacks or fight from a distance with phantasmal blades.”

Nightblades are deadly melee fighters and assassins. Unlike the Soldier, a Nightblade approaches combat with the intent of ending it quickly and decisively. Prolonged encounters can be dangerous, but the Nightblade is not without his illusions and tricks. Using conjured illusions that seem so real that they can inflict actual physical harm, these highly skilled combatants can fight their way out of nearly any situation. While Nightblades are not restricted to any particular weapon type, they excel when dual wielding swords and fading in and out of melee combat with their adversaries.

Below are some of the lower level skills you can look forward to as an assassin:

Phantasmal Blades
“A legendary technique of the Nightblades. Hurl a conjured blade infused with shadow magic that rends through flesh like paper.”

Phantasmal Blades are the core of many Nightblade techniques. This particular skill allows you to hurl several piercing blades at your enemies. Modifiers for this skill allow the blades to pass through targets, drawing vital life energy as they leave your foes bleeding out, and to add the sinister power of chaos to every blade.

Blade Trap
“Your command of Nightblade techniques allows you to entrap an enemy within a prison of deadly phantasmal blades.”

Blade Trap surrounds your target with a ring of phantasmal blades. This crafty illusion reduces your target’s defenses and causes it to bleed as if struck by physical blows. The modifier for this skill intensifies the bleeding and drains some of the damage as health for the Nightblade.

Pneumatic Burst
“Secret martial techniques of the Nightblades enable you to draw vital breath or “pneuma” from your surroundings for short bursts of speed and power. The metabolic acceleration caused by these vital breaths also confers minor healing. This technique requires melee weapons.”

Pneumatic Burst is a powerful meditative state that the Nightblade can enter, increasing his prowess with piercing attacks and accelerating his attacks. In addition, the burst of pneuma restores some lost vitality. The buff itself lasts longer than the cooldown for this skill, so you can maintain it while saving the healing aspect for more imminent danger. The modifiers for this skill increase your concentration, allowing you to evade attacks, and adding a cold component to your damage.

Belgothian’s Shears
“The brawny Belgothian was an anomaly among the lithe Nightblade masters, but he exceeded them all in raw power. Leveraging his strength in direct but lethal attacks like the shears, Belgothian could often finish an enemy in a single move. This is a dual-wielding technique.”

This martial technique is a brutal attack on nearby enemies intended to cause intense physical trauma. As it lacks the finesse of some of the more refined Nightblade methods, this skill augments physical damage rather than piercing damage, making it reliable regardless of your weapon choice.

Building your Nightblade:
Players focused on the Nightblade mastery will unlock a deadly collection of melee attacks and piercing blades. Nightblades are masters of melee combat and are absolutely devastating in close range.

Players focused on other masteries should pick the Nightblade for their second mastery if they want to augment their skill set with heavy melee attacks, deadly illusions and the ability to dual wield melee weapons. Hybrid builds can also look forward to class names such as: Blademaster, Saboteur, Witch Hunter, and Nightstalker.

Check back on 10/14/13 for the conclusion of our Nightblade reveal!

Attachment: Nightblade Mastery.jpg
Attachment: Phantasmal Blades.jpg
Attachment: Blade Trap.jpg
Attachment: Pneumatic Burst.jpg
Attachment: Belgothian’s Shears.jpg

Nice, looking forward to this new mastery.

FYI - your link doesn’t work, i.e. you got extra bits in front of www.grimdawn.com.

Fixed, thanks.

Im really really looking forward to seeing more on him. 28 skills available so far the most of any of the classes.

Sounds awesome :smiley:

New favourite class found - I can see the amazing combos with other classes already :smiley:

Please tell me this class will be able to throw out spinning arrow traps like the blue avatar cat-like enemies (sorry don’t remember the name) did in Titan Quest.

Yeah, I’ll be naming mine “Kolchak”. lol

nice update.so with this class we got dual wilding??

Yeah Nightblade is the class that unlocks the ability to dual wield. The very top bar appears to be it which would mean 6 available skills for it. :cool:

My favorite character in TQ was my Thane which focused heavy on dual wielding skills backed up with a ton of passives and Squall(best skill ever). So Im extremely excited for the Nightblade.

Damn this class is looking good, can’t wait to try it out!

Just a small request Zantai: when you’re posting images of these “expert level builds”, maybe just put one point into each skill you’re going to discuss, just to make them easier to spot in the skill tree.

5 synergies for dual wielding?Looking extremly interesting:D.

Exactly how I wanted him to be, nice.
It will be hard to decide on a secondary class. :smiley:

Pneumatic Burst!! Sounds great!

Sweet. I’m looking forward to giving this mastery a whirl. That top, presumably dual-wielding, row of skills looks packed. Hopefully it’s packed with goodness.

Beautiful :wink:

I think this class will add a lot of fun and depth to the game. Good stuff, Crate. Keep it up!

Cool, finally dual wielding!

Question time, nightblade can only dual wield blades? what about pistols?

totally awesome!!! cant wait for that mastery to expand the player choices!!!

As usual these updates are looking pretty epic. Glad that there is a skill that deals cold damage in some way. Hopefully there will be an elemental skill/passive sometime in the future unless elemental damage will be just for items and not skills.

Nightblade will only dual wield melee weapons. Dual pistols will either work it’s way into the Demolitionist mastery (since they want the ability to dual wield to come with release), make dual wielding a temporary ability to be removed when a future class is released, or to create pistols that have the skill to be dual wielded while waiting for the future class to be released.

Swords, not guns