Grim Misadventure #41: From Concept to Art

Hello again, denizens of Cairn! It’s that time of the year again for a Grim Misadventure. This one is full of pretty images for your ocular organs to peruse, prefaced by many words describing how those pretty images came to be.

Grim Dawn has many unique items for you to discover, and their power must be equally matched by their visual presentation. You may have noticed that some of our 1-30 level-range epics still use placeholder art (Blackwood Wand, I’m looking at you). That is all about to change. Our artists have returned to itemization to bring these stragglers to release-ready state. You can expect this effort to extend into the 30-50 range as well now that many of you are collecting those epics for the first time.

The creation of an item’s visuals is a multi-step process. It usually begins with the designer deciding upon an item’s name and stats, then providing the artists with a rough idea of what the item should look like. Sometimes, this step is reversed, where an artist has an idea for an item visually and the designer than wraps stats and a name around this description.

The artists then take the description to create a concept. This serves as a frame of reference when the item is modeled. Once drafted, the concept art goes through a brief review where it may be adjusted based on how it will present within the game. We have to consider things such as the angle at which you view an item as well as the camera distance. Sometimes details that look great in concept turn out muddy within the game. This is the point where we predict such issues and fix them, before the item even goes into the modeling step.

Once the concept has been approved, the item is modeled and textured. The modeling step attempts to replicate the concept art, but sometimes changes are necessary to avoid clipping into the character model or to enhance details that would otherwise not show up very clearly in the game engine.

Finally, if applicable, the item has special effects applied. This can be anything from a roaring flame to trapped spirits escaping from a blade’s edge. The product of this chain is what you see in the game!

Below are some examples of the before and after of our process. You may recognize these items from your collection, though by name only!

Blood Carver

Bloodreaper’s Claw

Curse of Burrwitch

The Eye

That wraps up today’s update! You can look forward to our next grim misadventure on 03/31/2014!

Attachment: Blood Carver.jpg
Attachment: Bloodreaper’s Claw.jpg
Attachment: Curse of Burrwitch.jpg
Attachment: The Eye.jpg

We need a jawdropping smiley. These models are beautiful. Artists must be granted with immeasureable amounts of beer, or any drink of their desire. 'Tis only fair.

that is a nice update and I do like updates like these, as they go deeper into how a game gets made and the processes around that. so nice update and I love the concept art and the final versions,

These models are beautiful. If this is anything to go on in relation to the final edits for all items, Grim Dawn is going to be a spectacle for the eyes - I never had a doubt but the effort is definitely not going unnoticed nor unappreciated!

Well done, guys and keep up the immensely amazing work!

Syn

one thing that Im not totally 100% on is the eye, the telescopic sight could be a touch longer at the barrel end, of course its not really going to make any difference in game, but if you compare to say this image

http://www.berdansharpshooter.org/target_scopes.htm

as the concept image of the eye looks a bit better and does have a longer telescopic site then the final version,

just a small nickpick, otherwise, all the imges look awesome,

Fascinating design! The last two ranged weapons are amazing!

An example of this.

wow…nice looking items.

ok that makes sense, whoops sorry, not that it will make a big impact anyway, but thanks for that.

i really love uniques art in GD :slight_smile:

i hope we’ll see these changes in B18 !

Loving the new models keep up the amazing work :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see the change in this one! Been a long time coming. :wink: And welcome too, as I just found one for myself. :smiley: In all seriousness, another fantastic update, Zantai! Once again ranking among my favourites, for not only does it include item art (who doesn’t love that?!) but it ALSO includes concept art - which we don’t see a lot from you guys! :eek:
So, cheers for sharing and a happy St. Patrick’s Day to you! (If that celebration has occurred in your timezone yet that is :p)
Younghappy :slight_smile:

again awesome update!!!

One of those look like an Egyptian khopesh, and that is my favourite ancient weapon. Well played.

:slight_smile:

Man, the MODEL of the burrwitch crossbow is just unbelievably detailed when you can see it close up. That looks amazing.

However… WHERE’S TEH ARCANIST??? Everyone’s waiting (impatiently) for it!

soon TM, but probably blizzard’s version of soon:p

I can’t wait to see the changes to Sacred Hammer of Eternal Wrath unique I love that hammer its very cool already without a model to make it unique!

Crate team you rock.

I personally want to see act 3 and the second difficulty more than arcanist, but all those are blizzards version of “soon” but hey at least its not “StarCraft Ghost” that game lived up to its name apparently as we never seen it “har har”

i was actually hoping it would be something to do with arcanist, or a rough ETA for crafting, but a interesting dev post nontheless.

The Arcanist mastery is still a long way from now.

Work on Crafting is progressing smoothly, but it’s not the only cool thing coming your way in B18 and all of those things need to be finished too. :wink: