Grim Misadventure #46: We Need Food

I… like this mechanic. It make sense, adds a bit more tension.

Will we be able to get full constitution from the cook in Devil’s Crossing?

Foods not replacing pots, food will allow you to contiune to use OOC.

It does seem that (depending on how often food drops) we may consume more health pots/use skills when consti has run out from ‘End of Combat Regeneration’ to refill hp before the next pack of mobs whilst waiting for food to drop.

So I cannot store them in my inventory like eg potions ?

Sorry, did not specify that but that is why you leave them on the ground, they do not go into inventory, they are instantly consumed. I cannot envision it working otherwise.

In in an earlier post in the thread you almost imply they dropped in set areas?

While I like this idea as a whole I’m not 100% on having to backtrack to refill.

*Ah, on re-reading the post you say that you have to remember, so it is random but still some backtracking.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Yes, I understand that, it’s just that it adds another level and another resource to the health system. To me it only complicates things with no real benefit.

If you haven tried it yet at least give it a chance.

Interesting. Something needed to change in the power of out of combat regen. Scavenging for food fits nicely in the apocalyptic setting.

That would be too easy, you could just portal to Devil’s Crossing any time to refill. Maybe access to different temporary buffs could be a better use for the cook.

Then why not dying of starvation if you don’t? Maybe you will survive 60 days without food but you certainly will have to drink more often. :confused:

But that would be the natural thing to do. Wouldn’t these good people be willing to cook something for their hero? After all they need to eat too, you can even pay for your meals (or hunt maybe).

I thought the same thing…until I tried it for a while.

From what I’ve seen of this on jiaco’s stream, I like it. And HorneM mentioning hunting for food gets me thinking. It would certainly be too much to request at this stage of development, but… I have fond memories of learning cooking in WoW. Collecting recipes and such. Different food providing various temporary buffs. I would be completely behind a system like that here. We already have nice day/night cycles when you’re above ground. Basically I’m for any mechanics that deeper immerse me in the world I’m playing in.

It’s been awhile since I posted anything here, but here’s my thoughts on the matter.

Personally, I don’t like the idea. As others have said it simply adds another resource that you need to manage and makes the OOC Health Regen more complicated and involved.

I liked the fact that health restored quickly while out of combat and thus minimized downtime. However, I agree with everyone else that the system simply had too much potential for abuse since you could simply run around in combat and heal back to max health. I myself killed many things I shouldn’t have by doing this.

The reason I don’t like the food / constitution idea is because it puts a limit on the OOC HRs ability to minimize downtime. I hate backtracking without a good reason in games. So if I find myself having to remember where I left some food and backtrack to eat it… then I’m not actually minimizing downtime anymore. I’m simply replacing downtime that doesn’t require any input from me with downtime that requires me to do pointless busy work so that I have a bit less downtime in the future.

I grew up on Doom and the like… and its boring as hell to spend time in an action game hunting down a healing item somewhere in the empty corridors you cleared out ages ago.

This wouldn’t be a proper rant unless I submitted my own inane idea… so here goes. If it was up to me to determine how to handle the OOC HR mechanics in the game I’d make it so that the mechanic would be based on your distance from hostile targets.

If I just got done killing everyone around me and there are no hostiles nearby that are targeting me, or were previously targeting me, then my health should regenerate very rapidly.

If there are currently enemies nearby or I’m engaged in combat with something then choose to run away… I should start to regenerate health more but only a bit over my current in combat regen rates. This way you can still allow for tactical retreats for a character to “get a second wind”, but without allowing for the mechanic to be grossly abused.

Just my two cents, but I’m currently quite against wandering the countryside for a piece of leftover chicken so I can get on with my adventuring. I’ll withhold further criticism until I can actually try it out for myself though.

You already have that in the form of crafting! You can make pots with varying buffs. Pretty much the same exact thing.

@Kol - I’ve personally suggested making OoC based on if you were being targeted by mobs at least 2 times in the past. To me this is the best solution to minimize abuse. You’ll be more likely to pop a pot to remain on the action than to try to run out of aggro and wait.

I get the logic in your idea but doesn’t it just mean you have to run further away until they stop chasing you?

Remember mobs dont regeneration their hp

Increase aggro range, again, and give them some minimal regen of their own. Problem solved.

I’ve never had to backtrack to fill up Constitution. It’s also rather rare to run out of Constitution though that would depend on your build/gear/experience.

What a great approach!! Thank you very much! These systems will rock!

Yeah I can’t say I’m behind this update so much… can’t really complain though since I’ve been 100% behind practically every other Misadventure to date :slight_smile:

I suggest waiting to try the mechanic out before worrying about how it will feel.

“Scavenging for snacks” is definitely not how I feel like it is. More like “killing enemies and oh look! someone dropped something that I can use while looking for another group to kill”.

I suppose it depends on whether you try to always keep your constitution bar full - if that is the case backtracking or scavenging may be something that you will be doing. If you don’t really care if your constitution is getting lower you will most likely have less of an issue.