Grim Misadventure #48: Into the Mountain

Oh, yes! Probably the best location in Skyrim :slight_smile:

Anyway, I hope there will be more Cthonians in Act III, first to find Blood more frequently, second: because I feel there is no enough Cthulhu in games.

Agreed, the second half of act 2 felt more like a detour to me, no Aetherials or Chthonians, just trolls, ghosts and harpies. Was actually surprised by this more generic fantasy fare and it not really being part of the chars storyline / what is going on in the world.

Definitely hope we resume our fight with the invaders and see some more powerful versions of them (think the difference between a regular skeleton and the Gargantuan, but for Harbingers and Overseers :wink: )

The environment is a stunning mix of blues and greens. The ambient photogenic / phosphorescent glow betrays the danger of the unknown.

Gorgeous.

Another great update, the new area is loont very promising.

Interesting environment and I hope to visit it eventually. Perhaps the Manticore beast is lurking in this doom and gloom area?

Feedback on a glimpse: The glowing fauna transitioning to the ground is too abrupt imo.

I think that the glowing plant’s contrast with the rest of the ground is a nice touch and spot on.

I hope that there is a dark and vast underground lake hinted in the background ala Lovecraft’s ‘At The Mountains of Madness’ and other stories. It should be vast and circumnavigate all of the playable area (or at least on one side). Deep chasms is particularly stale and standard for most underground fantasy settings.

Dejnov.

Idk… perhaps if there was some moss/lichen with less of a glow and then the mushrooms growing out of it?

To me it just looks like a cave environment with the glowing vegetation kinda looking like a photoshop job to me. It just doesn’t blend well.

Maybe it’s just me lol

Would also be neat to have some creeper’s/vines going up cliffs which could have sprouting buds that glow but I think that is getting a bit too technical ha ha.

The goblin-esque type enemies look pretty good - curious to know if the models of the spiders are different at all (like small spikes on their backs) or if they are just changed textures/abilities/damage types. I like the faint glow of the green spider when it comes to it’s legs.

This games keeps getting better and better… Crate you make my dreams come true!!

Wow.

You amaze me with every contortion & permutation of this engine`s visual capabilities.

oh god yes! this is exactly what i whished for :slight_smile:

Gorgeous new environments! I can’t wait to pick GD back up and get right back into it!

It’s been a while since I played GD, I will need to obtain my composure again and delve head first into these dark and dangerous depths!

Syn

Thanks for the update. The new area looks dark and creepy~!

A change of sight now and then is always apreciated, looks primising, can’t wait to play it!

Am i the only one who’s not impressed with this environment?

I was expecting something really different in act 3 (as i was expecting in act 2 also but didn’t happen). I mean ok, besides the glowing plants and maybe a couple other things, this looks like every other underground cave i’ve been already.

This is a feeling i have with act 1 and 2 also, where between a few wooden cabins in act 1, and some stone ruins in act 2, the terrain feels pretty much the same to me. In TQ there was much more variety in the environment design, with various buildings and different terrain, from one act to another.

The overall environment is fine to me though it could use something a bit more imo.

Obviously you don’t know how the “acts” will be in this game. I use quotations because they aren’t your typical acts because unlike many ARPG’s the lands will flow from one area to another to make a seamless landscape.

To me I like this way of approach as it allows for plenty of expansion for the environments - the options are not as limited as a game where you travel from a forest to a desert without the journey in between.

Nice update, Moutain Deeps looks like a pretty dark place^^

i’m really confident in Act 3 being a masterpiece :smiley:

Obviously since i have been playing alpha from the very beginning i am aware how “acts” work in GD, but thats how we all refer to them. Thats hardly the point though. If the intention of the developers is for us to feel like there are no acts because of the environments, i guess they nailed it.

The point imho is that the game needs more visual variety from one environment to another. Now it just feels bland to me and hardly gives you the feeling of really different environments from one act to the other or from one part of Cairn to another if you prefer. The “something bit more” is what i am talking about, not just cruising through rocks, trees and grass. It needs more elements that will make each location stick out a bit more, like more and different building ruins, statues, farms, etc. whatever, little things. I presume you remember how more interesting act 1 became when they added more houses here and there.

And ok maybe we will see more variety in expansions but what are we aiming here? 5 or 10 more expansions after how long? If “act 3” has the same philosophy, i am just saying i was expecting more.

i agree with you but i think that Crate will add the right touches to each act eventualy and not in the form of expansions, by taking the example of act1 map changes i believe they will enchance act2 & 3 for them to feel different before the full release.

I think so. It looks pretty damned good to me but I think Mountains Deep is only part of the journey to the “rest” of Act 3 and not the entirety of the whole Act.

I have a feeling we will emerge from this to the rest. Could be wrong but that’s my guess.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk