Grim Misadventures #5: Dance of Shadows

Hello and welcome to the bi-weekly Zantai extravaganza. Last time, I promised quite a treat. It is only natural that I not discuss this topic whatsoever. What did I promise? Wish I could remember. If only there was some sort of digital evidence to force my hand.

Before I delight you with the Nightblade mastery, allow me bring up another delightful topic to delight with: Hero Monsters. These player-hating creatures of the vilest nature want nothing but to smear the ground with your insides. I got to make one or sixty of these recently. These are not just rehashes of the same small skillset, mind you. These are unique creations of destructive power designed to make you question stepping a foot outside town.

With greater danger comes greater reward though, and I’m sure you will charge at them with anticipation of rare items and powerful components. Whether you survive isn’t my concern, I’m just here to make them really overpowered! In my next write up, we will reveal a few of these champions of evil.

Now as for the Nightblade, the master of sharp things and poor vision. This will be purely a mechanics preview, as the Nightblade’s art is not ready for prime time. Something about the artists being too busy making lab equipment and creepy creatures for me to pump up with unfair stats. So without further rambling:

Disclaimer: the following names, mechanics, concepts, suggestions, and ideas are work in progress and may not reflect the final product.

He slices, he dices, he even does your laundry (if laundry consists of monsters and loot)! He is the Nightblade! The goal with this mastery was to create an agile counterpart to the tougher Soldier mastery. The Nightblade excels at rapid movement, deception, and heavy damage.

Skill 1: Shadow Strike
“A cunning combination of flash powder and mental deflection allows the Nightblade to dart throughout the battlefield faster than the eye can see.”
Shadow Strike causes your character to phase out of existence and rapidly close in on your target, dealing damage on impact. This skill serves a dual purpose: direct single target damage and survivability. How does survivability come into play? Let’s bring up the modifier…

Modifier 1: Master of Shadow
“Become like the spectre of nightmares, appearing before your enemies in an instant and vanishing just as quickly.”
This skill modifier reduces the cooldown on Shadow Strike, allowing you to jump around more frequently. This serves both as a direct damage increase on Shadow Strike and as a way to ensure that you are always in a favorable position.

Skill 2: Blade Swarm
“Conjure a swirling cloud of blades that will tear at your enemies while its enchantment holds true.”
Blade Swarm summons a temporary pet at the target point. The Blade Swarm is an invincible whirlwind of jagged death that slowly moves around the battlefield and shreds everything that comes too close. Higher ranks also increase the maximum number of Blade Swarms that can exist at a given time, with +1 skill gear allowing you to virtually cover the battlefield with swirling death.

Modifier 2: Explosive End
“Causes the Blade Swarm to shatter when its power wanes, showering nearby enemies with its deadly parts.”
This skill modifier allows the Blade Swarm to cast Shower of Metal upon death. Shower of Metal unleashes a ring of sharp blades from the Blade Swarm which cause instant pierce damage as well as additional bleed damage over time.

Passive 3: Dual Blades
“Allows for the wielding of two one handed melee weapons simultaneously, making cutting apart multiple opponents a triviality.”
This one is fairly self-explanatory. The Nightblade is our dual wielding melee master. This skill does not enable the use of two one handed guns though, which will be in a separate mastery.

Do you want to see more? I sure hope so! But you will have to wait for the Alpha (insert evil laugh here). I’m afraid that this is all I have for today. Eager readers are encouraged to return on 09/02/12 for the next installment of the not always mis-adventurous Grim Misadventures!

So far the skills mentioned really remind me of the Lore skill tree for the Outlander in Torchlight 2. This is definitely a good thing though. I love the whole shadow magic assassin idea. Since we’re talking about the Nightblade I’d like to know if backstabs are in the game. Always cool to s.neak up on a guy and get massive crits.

This sounds very cool so far! Especially loving the swirling blade pets of explosive death! Though when you mentioned their explosive end skill, my first thought was to call it “Heavy Metal Thunder” lol ><; Can’t wait to see and read more!

I think Nightblade + Soldier will be very popular combination,like Assasin and Conqueror from TQ.

Wasn’t conqueror Warfare + Defense?

You know, in a lot of aRPGs, I always end up playing ranged caster types but I’m thinking I’ll change it up finally.

I like the idea of a fast, agile fighter with high upfront burst but perhaps somewhat poor sustained DPS to keep it balanced. Being able to rapidly move around and strike for massive dmg seems like it’ll stay fun for a good long time. :smiley:

I just hope it doesn’t turn out like Rogue mastery from TQ. Not many good things were said about that one. :eek:

Nice bunch of teasers … are Veil of Illusion and Clean Sweep still in?

I like that Dual Blades is a skill, which unlocks later. In TQ you can active it on level 3. So this gives you something to look foward to … at least for some time. On which of the 9 skills tiers will it be? I hope not on tier 3.

If this does not include ‘dual wielding pistols’, which mastery will it be? If not Demolition, will there be a sixth mastery? I mean ‘dual wielding pistols’ is your $350k stretch goal

seems a great insight on the development of the game. i have long been waiting for some type of wall blades, but this…, it seems perfect:)!

I mean pure dualwield melee fighter its popular in TQ and other games and will be same in GD.:wink:

you got me excited, I really want more, MORE! I tell you, you have wet my apitate a great deal with those skills, I was so sad to come to the end of the post. nice work, keep those updates coming, looks like the masteries will be awesome to choose from, so duel masteries will be very fun to see which mastery works best with another, or just pick and choose,

but very nice, I can’t wait for alpha

Both Veil of Illusion and Clean Sweep exist in some form.

I did not forget about the pistols. I know there are many eager gunslingers out there. :cool:

OoOoOoOoOo… Shadowblade sounds like fun, I can’t wait to see how it handles in game.

Awesome preview! Thanks for the update, it seems like you guys have been working pretty damn hard.

Never been a fan of the more rogue-like masteries/classes in game…bu this one sounds like tons of fun and I really like the theme too.

Very cool!

The more dev posts that are made the more I want this game!

Sounds really cool Zantai. I am highly unlikely to take this mastery for my first character as I plan to be slinging guns rather than blades, but it’s definitely a mastery I will play around with in the future. I am eagerly anticipating your grossly overpowered hero monsters. Keep up the good work! :smiley:

nice…
need gameplay video :rolleyes:

Another excellent update. Thank you. It’ll be interesting to know what sort of name would be given to a hybrid nightblade/soldier mastery. Or how they play. Which leads me to my first question. When designing the classes, is there any real thought into how they might mix with other classes, or are you guys happier just focusing solely on how one class works out and letting the player community as a whole to stumble across and min/max the right combination of skills?

I would not be surprised, if they have not even thought about the dual class names. And yes, they take other masteries into account, when designing one. See the second but last paragraph.

As the minister has pointed out, we absolutely do consider synergy between masteries when designing one. We have to make sure there are combinations for you guys to discover. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cough, not final, cough
Blademaster
Saboteur
Witch Hunter
Nightstalker