Grimmicky or not?

Can this revised build take down Callagadra and Crate?

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2d05pG2 - what do you think about this? Taking Conduit with -RR mod to Flashbang, dropping Crown to get Magi instead.

No. Just no.

Taking conduit is a possible option but I preferred to stay with Runefather.

Pity about Callagadra and Crate, means ranged purifers are weak, it’s needed to respec to other setups do kill them. I mean no offense for your build which is great, it’s just the bitter truth, probably due to Kraken we can’t take more damaging fire devotions like Magi and Fiend.

I don’t think measuring builds’ strength by their ability to kill superbosses is right.
Ranged purifiers are by no means weak. But it’s an old story that if you wanna kill a superboss, you often build a super-tanky char.
Purifiers can’t afford it to themselves but they’re strong in Cruci and SR, which is great.

2 Likes

Sorry, mate, but ability to take down Celestials and Crate still remains more of a gimmick than anything else. And it doesn’t really say anything about the build except that it can kill Celestials and Crate.

Also, ranged Purifiers are hella strong.

2 Likes

According to you, yes. Those who prefer to conquer celestials thinks the same way about the sub 4 min cruci-meta.

2 Likes

And it’s not about that either. I am not sure why you brought that up. Have you seen the kinds of builds I make?

yeah gimmicky builds that just are aimed to do crucible and SR fast as hell.

1 Like

Well, then I suggest to check them out, because you couldn’t be more wrong. I make strong balanced builds that tackle both Crucible and Shards.

wtf you don’t remember me xD you know I know about your builds - but you do not seem to realize that it is quite condensating to call builds aimed to kill celestials “gimmicky”. Same logic can be applied to cruci and SR builds - they are just meant to do a particular kind of content - hence they are alla gimmicks depending on what angle of approach you have to endgame.

1 Like

It’s not condescending. The “gimmickness” and strength of builds is defined by their farming efficiency. Best loot can be dropped in Crucible and Shards 65-66+. You are not going to “farm” Celestials. You might kill them once to take their helm or whatever and that’s it. But you will always want to farm legendaries and mi-s. And Crucible and SR are best places to do that.

I am not sure why we are still having this argument, we’ve been through this already it seems.

3 Likes

is it? can I read about this in the official game guide? It is just an arbitrary definition.

" A gimmick is a novel device or idea designed primarily to attract attention or increase appeal, often with little intrinsic value … Gimmicks are occasionally viewed negatively,"

There are so many things that you can’t actually read in that guide, lmao.

It’s just common sense. You of all people know it, you still play D2. You have always ended up making up (god, I almost don’t remember it) a Hammerdin with inventory full of luck charms for Baal runs or Blizzard sorc for Tal runs or Zeal Pal (or was it shield bash Pal?) for Uber runs or Javazon for everything.

Strongest chars = builds that can farm best content with best loot most efficiently.

Damn, @medea_fleecestealer, do you even sleep? :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, sometimes. :wink:

2 Likes

That is because D2 does not have endgame :wink: In D2 you farm for the sake of farming.

In GD, you actually have content you can push not only for the sheer sake of more and better loot, but also for the increased challenge it imposes. And regardless of what challenge a player decide to focus on - it is still up to that player what is “strong” and what is “gimmicky”.

Loot in GD is so freaking easy to get anyway, and in order to push those places where loot literately drop like candy - you already need to have acquired tons of items to make such builds. So it is pretty much a circular argument and a bottleneck that all of these kinda games has to adress - you need loot to get more loot. Like why would anyone who basically has pretty much all items in GD wanna do yet another FARMER char? Wouldn’t it then more interesting to push harder content and regard loot as a secondary aspect? And farming… most of you/us GDstash our builds anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

For instance you can choose to kill random hard endboss as quickly and safe as possible (given that they can be fought multiple times, for instance Avatar of Mogdrogen can’t so in that regard I can agree that Mogdrogen killers are one-trick pony specs) .

I just think it helps alot to be pretty open minded in GD, something I have learned during my break actually that this game has more to offer than just sheer min-maxing for maximal farming efficiency (which is, they only thing we d2 players talk about :wink: )

Lee, you’ve done this argument with Witcher guy and Malawiglenn sided with you, how times changes. :smile:

If build is created just to abuse one celestial (especially Mog) it’s gimmick. If it can beat Celestials’ with same/similar configuration that can tackle SR/Crucible than it’s all rounder.

I rate this topic 6 Sacred strikes out of 10. Need more sacrilegious comments…

4 Likes

Anything can kite Calla fairly reliably, but Crate is another matter entirely and that build ain’t looking so hot for the task.

Well, thing is, efficiently farming SR 75-76 and Crucible Gladiator 150-170 is already a huge challenge for most players, and building a char that can do it is actually pretty hard. Sure, once you have several farmers of different flavor, you can tackle those pesky Celestials just for kicks.

But problem with Celestial builds is that they often not fun to play anywhere else. So you made a Cala build or Ravager build (can’t really make a Crate build), killed the beast, then what? Where do you take that 6k armor steel tank that sometimes have most resists uncapped except those you need for that particular boss?

But that’s what comes down to in arpgs like that. Also, the beauty of strong endgame builds that are balanced and built for tackling Crucible/Shards is that there are quite a lot of them, all kinds of flavours and different gameplays you can try. And those builds cover most of the game content except for those Celestials (And some of them can even kill Celestials without changing gear). Builds that are build specifically for safe Cala kills? Not really useful or even playable anywhere else.

You gotta be mad to take on Cr :zantai:te

Meanwhie Pet builds reading this convo be like

2 Likes