GUIDE: Installing & Using 3DS Max Plugins:

I’ve run into a strange problem with textures.

If I use MSH Tools to import a Grim Dawn model (in this case a simple crate), when I apply the texture it’s black like this:

I’m baffled. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Just a quick follow up. I decided to create a box and apply the heroine texture to it to see what would happen and it turned out fine.

So it looks like it has something to do with imported models.

Edit: I’ve solved the problem of the black textures. Whenever you import a model, for some reason the Ambient color resets to black. You need to manually set it to gray again (press 8).

Request: If anybody has them, is it possible to re-upload the GD_ModelTemplates and the Model Rigs (that Ram asked for)?
Cause none of the download links are working anymore.

Here they are:
GD_ModelTemplates01.zip (154.4 KB) PC_Rigs.zip (583.6 KB)

Thank you so much GlockenGerda :smiley:

Hi @Allminoxy, to my knowledge we still don’t have the 64 bit version of widget.dll
GlockenGerda dll can make it work but I don’t know if it’s intended.
When opening previous version of the max file I have this error message : “obsolete data format found”
Also some max file made with previous version crash.

Thank you

Well, time to bring this thread back from the dead.
So, I’ve been trying to set up 3DS Max 2019 for GD, I’ve copied over the according plugin and the dlls, all fine and dandy. However when I try to set the viewport to “Direct3D” as instructed in the guide, these are the only options I get. Is it supposed to be like that, is “Legacy Direct3D” the correct choice?

With my current 3DS Max setup I see no way of opening an existing .msh or .anm file. I’ve seen something called “MSH Tools” mentioned several times in this thread, is that required to convert .msh and/or .anm files to a format 3DS can open? If that is indeed the case, all download links I’ve found for MSH Tools are dead so I have no way of acquiring it. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Solved it I think?

Hello @Allminoxy, I still have issue with 3ds max 2019, after clicking standard in the material editor when trying to apply any Il shader 3ds max send a message error and closes immediately.

Are there more dll files to copy for 3DS Max 2019 (some of them don’t exist like libeay32.dll) ?
Do we need to modify something in Tools.ini ?
Thank you

Just wanted to add that I have the same problem

Hey @okami29 and @Negheve, sorry for the delay. I just tested them out on our end and didn’t have any issues. Just to confirm, you guys are running 2019 x64 version with “legacy direct 3D” as your renderer? I’ve included the files I just tested with, just drag the folder to your max installation as usual and choose “replace all” with the new versions, of course.

If you’re still having issues, could you post an image of the error message you’re receiving before max crashes?

3dsmax_2019_64_073018.zip (2.6 MB)

3 Likes

Upon comparing your dlls and the dlo to the ones I had in my max install folder, I noticed that both your dlo and some of your dlls differed in size from mine, and after replacing them, I got no more crashes, so that appears to have been the issue. Now all that remains for me is to figure out why the changes I made to an existing mesh don’t seem to be applied ingame, but max seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the assistance!

1 Like

Thank you @Allminoxy I can also confirm that it is now working correctly with your files.

@Negheve sometimes you need to exit game and restart or change mod to main game then reload mod for the change to take effect.

@Allminoxy

Just got this post over on Steam - I recommended to them to post here but I figured I’d drop it here for you anyway just in case…

Thanks for letting us know. None of us are currently using 2022 at the moment, but I’ll pass it on and see what we can do.

1 Like

Thanks @powbam for having forwarding my request.
Thanks too in advance @Allminoxy for having a look at this request, really appreciate!

1 Like

@Allminoxy May I ask me what is going on, there is no ssh option
PLE

Did you verify that Tools.ini have the correct path for you mod folder ?

But I still have a problem. I want to set a special effect at a certain point of the weapon, but I choose Dumies for exporting msh, and there is nothing. Who can share a template to me, thank you very much.:sparkling_heart:
QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720210815015558

Is there any way to get the template or obj file for boss_kraken01a.msh? I am going crazy trying to figure out how to open it on 3dmax and making a custom model from it for the game. I just need the obj please and if not another way to modify it.

Thanks in advance XD my brain is fried for now.

Hi all.
I have trounbles with rigging shoulderpad model.
I took a two-piece model and rig it similar to existentingame one:

Upper plate to Spine and Clavicle;

Lower plate to Upperarm.

Though after build model…
looks fine for combat pose, but in idle pose lower plate shifts forward.

I try move plate over model and can not place it correct.
Anyone have advice?

I don’t see any obvious issues based on the info you posted, but here are a few things to try that may (or may not) help:

1. make sure Bone Affect Limit under the ‘advanced parameters’ tab is set to 4:

This is the max bones available in-game per skin envelope. Setting it to 4 in 3dsmax can sometimes resolve unwanted in-game behavior.

1. Looks like you have multiple skin modifiers for multiple objects on your shoulders? It “should work” like that, but having multiples may cause issues. Try combining them into one mesh as well and see if that helps.

Thanks, I’ll try that.
Yes, my model consists of several objects, and I use the skin modifier separately for each one, because I’m not a very good 3d max user, it’s easier for me.