GUIDE: The PSEditor

Phew, finally got it to work. Reason why it wasn’t working was that I had wrong directories in the “Tools.ini/dbreditor.ini” files in the save folder. The directories showed up correctly in the asset manager, but were messed up in the save folder due to me copying my old save files from my old computer.

ty for the work

I don’t know if I do something wrong or not, but I seem to have nothing there even if I follow your instructions:

I tried the “Reset Camera” button multiple times, loading other textures and everything, but nothing seems to work. I did follow your instructions one by one, for the first time, then tried once again (and therefore this screenshot only has a texture loaded) and again nothing.

When you click “run system”, nothing happens? That texture should work, check the color/alpha, make sure the alpha isn’t set all the way down (the gray bar), and check to see the emit rate, make sure it’s above 0 and the bar isn’t all the way down. These things should be like this, but just in case… When you choose “pick texture” does a little menu open up showing you a file system so you can navigate and find other textures? Have you tried loading an effect from Grim Dawn? Nothing works at all?

I did try what you said, even changing the color to all the way up doesn’t work.

Loading an existing pfx doesn’t work too. Basically, nothing works.

It’s a bug on a shitty and very old program… i had this bug for 2 years before it started to work again … and it happened after i deleted the pseditor.cfg file in documents…

BUT SADLY it happened again… and now the config file wont even save anything… … and still having the same issue as before.

Someone send me their working PSeditor.cfg from documents please… would like to see if that works… or at least a list of whats in there so i can just string the option lines back in.

The CFG file only holds the color of the BG of PSEditor though? I don’t see how that would help you whatsoever, but if helps …

BGColor 0.501961 0.501961 0.501961

Mm alright… yeah just a shitty program with really irritating fucking problems… 4 machines … 4 different procressors … 6 GPUS’s … 3 new harddrives… and 4 new sets of memory of the past 4 years… and still this thing causes issues… wonder why it randomly worked after 2 years one day… then today it worked… closed it… reopened it … and now it doesnt again… ugh bloody makes me wanna pull teeth out.

Programs cancer. =/

Thanks tho… was wondering if it was just a coincidence or not.

Haha, oh man… the PSEditor…

I feel for any of you attempting to use this abomination. Just want to say, we didn’t make it but, alas, we also never got around to re-making it. :o

If it makes you feel any better though, we’ve suffered through it for almost 10 years now. If I knew at the start we’d be using it so long, I’d have had someone put in the time to remake it.

Hey, at least we re-made the quest editor, that was even worse, if you can believe it. It wasn’t nearly as crashy but it was frustrating to use and pretty limited.

Yeah… granted many of us have made do with avoiding the PSeditor as much as possible… im very thankful you guys have remade the quest editor … … and hell even if the PSeditor is causing many issues half the time… you can still do alot of stuff blind with it… half the time anyways the effects i have made are not always represented in the game as what it was shown in the program… Lol

The Dev team is always doing a great job with Grim Dawn… maybe one day we might see a better Particle editor :stuck_out_tongue:

So, your next job will be fixing this bullshitty PSEditor. :stuck_out_tongue: Honestly, if I was a programmer, I’d try my best to do something about it myself, but I only learned a bit of C++ few years ago and stopped because I had no idea what I actually want to create.

Next project after FG: fixing all sucking programs like PSEditor. :stuck_out_tongue:

For me the problem was solved after changing the build directory (in options from asset manager) back to the root folder of my grimdawn installation.
(my tools directory does also point to the root…)

Is there a way to configure the mod environment so that PSEditor works when the build directory isn’t the same as the installation directory?

This may be a dumb question, but can the PSeditor be used to edit the weapon particles? Such as augment glows/epic weapons and so forth?

For weapon augments? Yes, and as I recall quite simply.

For innate weapon effects, technically yes, but you’ll also need to edit the weapon models themselves, which is a process I am unfamiliar with.

You don’t need to edit the models if you simply want to edit the fx, you just need to edit the associated fx. If you create a new fx with the same name and reference location it will just overwrite it.

Ah i see thank you for your response and guide! The first thing i wanted to do was to make the poison augment alot brighter and greener, but whatever I do it doesn’t seem to work. Here are the steps i took:

1. Update asset manager to my installation folder/create folder called “source” and move resources there
  2. Open PS editor
  3. Create New in PS editor
  4. Pick Texture from enchantmentfx folder “enchant_longpoison01” (also tried “enchant_roundpoison01”
  5. Edited “Emitter size” to be much bigger, “Emit rate” to be more often and changed “Color/alpha” to a green color.
  6. tried saving over the original file in both the “source” folder and “resource” folder. But it doesn’t show up in-game

What am I doing wrong?..

This. You’ll need to rebuild the game files, which is really a nontrivial process for assets (modder speak: primarily because Crate doesn’t ship the resources with asset links).

The easy solution to this is making your own mod that does essentially what you’re describing, albeit again with your edited effect rebuilt into the mod. You’ll need to play the mod via Custom Games to use it, but that really is the easiest solution to this sort of stuff.

ah damn, knew it couldnt be this simple. Okay i’m assuming to do that i need to look into this thread.

Thanks for the feedback Ceno, much appreciated.