[Script][Basics]Modding Beginner's Guide I

Adjusted to fit Ashes of Malmouth modding preparation.

Should the file path shown above include “…\mods” at the end?

No. The Asset Manager will create that folder on it’s own and therefore only need to be told where it should put the mods folder to.

So what you specify here is the location where the Asset Manager will create the mods folder. If you’d add /mods/ to the end you’d end up with a folder mods/mods/ in your build directory.

I probably could have explained that part better. Thanks for pointing this out :slight_smile:

Edit: Adjusted the text corresponding to that passage.

I followed the guide and end up with a file path
…GrimDawn\mods\gdx1

When I open Asset Manager it didn’t merge the two databases, but makes me have to select the gdx1 as an “active” mod and from there I can copy/paste files over to my mod. Is this supposed to be like this? I thought it was wierd it was reading it as a mod and when I launch my custom game it (gdx1) shows up there as a mod. From the description you gave that doesn’t seem right. Thanks

Did you set your working directory as shown in this guide or did you set it to the grim dawn installation folder directly as the official guide says?

If you followed the guide above you shouldn’t end up with a working path that starts with grim dawn/mods/… as this will merge source and output files and therefore might lead to confusion.

I’ve had the same/similar problem trying to get these tools setup the past few weeks; they’re just very stubborn about directories. Setting the working directory to “…common/Grim Dawn/working” will extract game files there but still doesn’t show any AoM content.

The only way I’ve actually gotten it to do something was merging the two database arz files and placing it into the mod\database folder I’m working on. Doesn’t really seem correct but literally won’t work otherwise.

This is especially true for the world editor, which will not load any records or textures unless all game files are in the actual mod’s folder. Is there no way to manually point the world editor to read from a specific directory?

If you did everything from the “Ashes of Malmouth” integration, both the editor and the Asset Manager should show the merged databases.

Please check again whether you set your additional browse directories correctly:

Ashes of Malmouth Integration

If you have the Ashes of Malmouth expansion you will have to do a few additional steps in order to be able to work with the expansion files. As mentioned before, there are two more fields “Additional Browse Directories” and “Additional Source Directories”. The additional browse directories field enables the Asset Manager to read additional database record files from a seperate .arz file while the additional source directory provides the Asset Manager with additional resource files for the resources browser window.

To make these functional with the xpack, we’ll set those to the following paths:

Additional Browse Directories:

The additional browse directory needs to be set to the location where the game stores the xpack data as .arz file inside a folder called “database”. By default it should be in the game’s install directory in a subfolder called “gdx1”, so the path by default looks like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1\

Additional Source Directories:

The additional source directories path must point to a subfolder of your working directory as this is where the gdx1 resources will be extracted to in the next step. By default it’s in a subfolder inside the working folder in “mods\gdx1”, which would be the following path (assuming you use the above recommended working folder structure):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim  Dawn\Working\mods\gdx1\

If you consider to rather use the default variant, your path should look like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grim  Dawn\mods\gdx1\

These changes will make the game read both from the main game and the expansion files and merge them into one file structure for both the DBR and the resource import dialogs, so you won’t see any extra “gdx1” folders but instead find the corresponding files in their equivalent folder strucure alongside the normal game files.

Edit: Removed the spoiler tags for this passage to make it more visible. Initially I put the text above in spoiler tags trying to reduce the text amount for people not owning AoM. I guess that’s why a lot of people overlook this passage.

Hey I’m fairly new to the modding scene, and am trying my hand at modding a mastery using a combination of the occultist and necromancer as a theme, my issue is that when I try to set up the path as you described in my additional browse/source directories the expansions still doesn’t load, I’ve been at this all day and I’m really stumped, any help you could give me on that would be greatly appreciated.

So I got the asset manager to show the expansion content, but only for AOM not FG. When I try to select a skill through the import function on the database option it gives me the error “Error importing database record” any suggestions on how to solve this, is it an issue with the directory I set up?

To edit FG content you have unpack gdx2 dir. the problem is it always unpacks gdx1 . And my dir. are on point

Yeah, the problem is AssetManager isn’t working properly atm. Check this thread for workarounds :

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82019

How I give a cookie to OP? Dang, nice tutorial bro!

Thank you

Restored posts and adjusted them to the new forum Format.

If you still find issues such as dead links that I overlooked feel free to post about it.

None of the pics work for me at the moment. epvpimg.com gives an Error 524. Can you post the pics directly to the forum please, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out this issue.
The site seems to have been down for a while but it should work again now.
But you’re right, uploading the pictures to the forum directly would probably be the better way.

I’ll try it once I get time to work on it. I also have a bunch of other tutorials that are partially broken but due to my bachelor thesis I simply had no motivation to come home after 7 hours of writing just to start working on even more text. I hope this will change soon…

Ah, the new forum be damned! I tried to download the timesaving tools (Grim Dawn Toolwindow etc.) but the links do not work anymore. Also, most entries I find about the mod tools are from 3 years ago, and I am uncertain if they are outdated or still functioning. Could you please update the links in this thread?

1 Like

Updated the links in the post.
Thanks for pointing this out, totally oversaw these when I reformatted the posts.

1 Like

Thank u mister german fairy.

Adjusted second post to also feature Forgotten Gods & future expansion integration.

Also on another side note, the Asset Manager now extracts all expansion files by default no matter if the additional directories are set or not, but they have to be set in order to make the Asset Manager / Editor read and display the corresponding records.