GUIDE: The PSEditor

This may be a dumb question, but can the PSeditor be used to edit the weapon particles? Such as augment glows/epic weapons and so forth?

For weapon augments? Yes, and as I recall quite simply.

For innate weapon effects, technically yes, but you’ll also need to edit the weapon models themselves, which is a process I am unfamiliar with.

You don’t need to edit the models if you simply want to edit the fx, you just need to edit the associated fx. If you create a new fx with the same name and reference location it will just overwrite it.

Ah i see thank you for your response and guide! The first thing i wanted to do was to make the poison augment alot brighter and greener, but whatever I do it doesn’t seem to work. Here are the steps i took:

1. Update asset manager to my installation folder/create folder called “source” and move resources there
  2. Open PS editor
  3. Create New in PS editor
  4. Pick Texture from enchantmentfx folder “enchant_longpoison01” (also tried “enchant_roundpoison01”
  5. Edited “Emitter size” to be much bigger, “Emit rate” to be more often and changed “Color/alpha” to a green color.
  6. tried saving over the original file in both the “source” folder and “resource” folder. But it doesn’t show up in-game

What am I doing wrong?..

This. You’ll need to rebuild the game files, which is really a nontrivial process for assets (modder speak: primarily because Crate doesn’t ship the resources with asset links).

The easy solution to this is making your own mod that does essentially what you’re describing, albeit again with your edited effect rebuilt into the mod. You’ll need to play the mod via Custom Games to use it, but that really is the easiest solution to this sort of stuff.

ah damn, knew it couldnt be this simple. Okay i’m assuming to do that i need to look into this thread.

Thanks for the feedback Ceno, much appreciated.

I’m still running into problems saving new fx. I have tried saving as in every folder up and down the hierarchy, including making an fx folder in my AM working folder.

I am using test.pfx as the name.
I have tried overwriting a copied pfx file.
I have looked in My Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn/Tools.ini to make the sure the working folder is correct: localdir=C:\Program Files\Grim Dawn\Harbinger.
I have restarted PSEditor.

Can someone please clearly state how to save new particle fx in one’s own mod, so that there’s no question as to what need to be done?

Look at this thread and download [Resource] GrimFX - Reworked Visual FX
You’ll see how to replace some PFX in Main Campaign not modded game.
Might be better if you don’t want to play mods just swap effects in normal game.

To put it in a mod you’d need Asset manager / ArchiveTool and packing it I think
unless perhaps a similar method (of just putting files into Settings) works
then someone please correct me.

Not sure of what you have done exactly, but in my experience:
PSEditor only has access to the files in the source folder (where all the other .pfx files are located) from the base game.
So first you open/save it there (else you cannot edit it).
Then copy it into the source folder of your mod.
Then open Asset Manager, go to your mod and to the source tab. Build in the .pfx file (right click and select Auto-create asset).
Then, still in AM, to Assets tab, find your new .pfx file, also build it in.
Then in the database tab, you need to make (or copy existing files) fx.dbr files. Depending on the template. This usually consists of 2 to 3 files. (skill.dbr links to the main fx.dbr, this file links to (several) fx.dbr’s (projectile, explosion, decal fx.dbr etc), or directly to the .pfx file). The seperate projectile/explosion_fx.dbr’s should then link to the .pfx file.
Build all these files in, including the skill itself and it should work.

While i’m not sure if it matters (might very well do): …/grim dawn/mods/harbinger would be the place to make/edit mods.

Okay I think I understand the brunt of everything I have read over. Definitely a confusing editor but I think I figured out how to get it to make effects similar to the guide. My only issue is that it won’t save them. It says “Could not open ‘name of folder path’ to save file”. I read through the posts and it sounds like it only saves to the working folder? So I changed the path to there and it still wouldn’t save. Not sure what I should set the path as to get it to save. Any recommendations?

Howdy :slight_smile:
You can create a “source” folder in the game rootfolder (i.e. D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\source"), then you can load in there any pfx file you want to edit and swap out to a location of your desire, after saving it there without any issue. Maybe this helps. Yes that tool is greatly confusing af xD
Cheers.

@ashbrain Thanks for the swift reply! Unfortunately my PSEditor either doesn’t like me, or I’m missing some other basic step that I’m too oblivious to notice lol.

i don’t know IF it matters, but maybe it does not like the path like it is because auf the (x86)… maybe swap the whole Grim Dawn directory to something like in my example “D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn”, pretty unsure but maybe worth a try. you have unpacked the game the normal way?

@ashbrain Yeah I did everything just as shown in Elfe’s guide on starting with the assetmanager. I have actually gotten some basic modding underway and the stuff works in game, so I’m sure I have the other files set up correctly. How would I go about changing my Grim Dawn Directory to another drive, and would that make me need to reset up stuff for my modding, like change the assetmanager directories and whatnot?

yes you would have to change all the paths for this to happen, i would choose this option: delete everything in the “/GrimDawn-folder” EXCEPT your mod, save that to a save place, completely deinstall Grim Dawn and reinstall it at the desired place as shown in example above. then unpack the gamefiles again as usual to have a clean structure (addition here: you do NOT need to set any additional browse or source directories AT ALL! → maybe this causes errors down the road → you just need working/build/tools directory filled out!), copy your mod back and recreate the source folder in the root of GrimDawn, then check the PSEeditor again; → this is exactly the way i do it and this is absolutly fine working on my end; when importing databases, simply ALWAYS make right mouseclick in AM at the desired structureposition, then you have access to all files on your PC and you are not bound to this weird AM-database-importRecord menu… tested it again and there should be nothing else to take into consideration, can put any pfx-file to this “source” folder, adjust it, load it up, save it, and everything else :slight_smile: you CAN do it too, im no professional! Yes, moddingtools are a bit of a mess, sometimes… xD
Cheers.

Okay, I’ll give that a try, thanks for the detailed instructions! A question though, I’m not sure what you’re referring to with the “ALWAYS make right mouseclick in AM at the desired structureposition” and since you used CAPS I assume that is important lol. Also, in regards to the additional source and browse directories, you are saying I can just ignore that step from Elfe’s tutorial on setting up the assetmanager? GDX1 and GDX2 will still have all their assets available and integrated?

Aggh! I want to pull my hair out! Completely uninstalled, installed fresh on a new drive, re-setup the asset manager, created the source folder in my GD directory and… this

:frowning: seems weird too me aswell xD are you logged in as Admin? i bet yes ;D strange thing really, i wish i could help you anymore, if i come to any conclusion i will paste it here :slight_smile: also checked my directory and it is even, infact, read-only…xD wtf, and it is working as expected, still :smiley: weird to see this aswell at this hour of the day/night ;D
cheers.

Paste of my tools.ini, maybe it helps to compare:

[Login]
additionalbuilddirs=
additionalsourcedirs=
localdir0=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn
builddir0=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn
toolsdir0=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn
3dsmaxserver0=
additionalbuilddirs0=
additionalsourcedirs0=
localdir=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn
builddir=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn
toolsdir=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn
3dsmaxserver=
project=-1
username=
password=
database=
[SplashScreen]
splashenable=1
splashmute=0
[Build]
ExportStatistics=0
CompileXboxShaders=0
[Tools]
uselegacydbreditor=1
[Editor]
windowLocked=1
windowX=264
windowY=16
windowWidth=1518
windowHeight=964
windowState=3
windowMinX=-1
windowMinY=-1
windowMaxX=-1
windowMaxY=-1
[ToolAdjustEntity]
RandomRotation=false
RandomXZRotation=false
DropWithPhysics=true
SnapToGrid=false
HorizontalGridSize=1.000000
VerticalGridSize=1.000000
[ToolTerrainRaiseLower]
Radius=5.000000
Speed=50.000000
Strength=50.000000
RotatePattern=false
SelectedPattern=-1
[ToolTerrainSmooth]
Radius=5.000000
Speed=50.000000
Strength=50.000000
RotatePattern=false
SelectedPattern=-1
[ToolTerrainRoughen]
Radius=5.000000
Speed=50.000000
Strength=50.000000
RotatePattern=false
SelectedPattern=-1
[ToolTerrainPlateau]
Radius=5.000000
Speed=50.000000
Strength=50.000000
RotatePattern=false
SelectedPattern=-1
Height=0.000000
[ToolTerrainRelative]
Radius=5.000000
Speed=50.000000
Strength=50.000000
RotatePattern=false
SelectedPattern=-1
Offset=-5.000000
[ToolTerrainPaintTextures]
Radius=5.000000
Speed=50.000000
Strength=50.000000
RotatePattern=false
SelectedPattern=-1
Opacity=214
ModulateByNormal=false
AffectsObjects=true
AffectsTerrain=true
[ToolTerrainPaintFlags]
Radius=2.000000
Speed=100.000000
Strength=100.000000
RotatePattern=false
SelectedPattern=-1
Flag=0
[TerrainRampTool]
Width=5.000000
[ToolWaterBrush]
Radius=5.000000
Height=5.000000
[ToolWaterPath]
Radius=5.000000
Height=5.000000
[Filters]
Lights=0
Triggers=0
NpcWanderPoints=0
PatrolPoints=0
Proxy=0
SoundObjects=0
[Options]
EnvironmentEffects=0
Weather=0
Time=1

there is also a “pseditor.cfg” but info seems obsolote, something about bgcolour:

BGColor 0 0 0.152941