Gun gameplay boring?

Hi, I casually play grim dawn since launch, I enjoy the game, but I always come and go to it until now that I decided to go a bit deeper in the game…

I decided to go with a gun build since there are not many arpg games with guns…and it is kinda boring…it ends up beign just a glorified “basic attack” (fire strike/lightning strike etc) that procs a “barrage” with me occasionally throwing a few other skills im not talking about damage or performance but gameplay or game feel…its underwhelming…

I miss some “barrage” skills or “rain of arrows” or a “split ranged attack” maybe a channeling ranged attack…etc I think is a missed opportunity to make the fantasy of a cool gun slinger, and afaik (not much honestly) there wont be any changes to ranged gameplay in the future expansion I dont know though

1 Like

I comprehed, what do you feel the game is lacking in gun builds. But I love this aspect of pure, more decent gameplay, with not that much skills and less colors and effects on the screen. It is “cleaner” for me…

4 Likes

Hate to say it, but Torchlight 2 got you covered on this one. It has a whole class dedicated to guns, which has exactly what you describe. GD is a better game overall, but admitedly some things TL2 did better.

1 Like

And GD doesn’t? What’s the Inquisitor then? :grinning:

1 Like

I think @nomellamo means there is less visual and practical difference between gun skills.

1 Like

Well Inquisitor doesn’t really provide what OP is looking for, sadly.

And to be fair, if you want an actual ranged build, Inquisitor is a pretty bad pick. Witchblade wins by a long shot (hehe, get it?) - for 2-handed, anyway. Oppressor and Defiler are a bit behind. But that’s just me I guess ::shrugs::

1 Like

Don’t you dare dissing purifiers. Dagallon is the best waifu.

But yeah. Ranged builds in GD boil down to holding AA button.

3 Likes

When I played with a gun, I was shooting, throwing Grenado, casting Doom bolt, Flame breath, jumping with Rising phoenix and more. Had a lot of fun with that character. So if yours is boring, you chose it to be that way.

5 Likes

Obviously I do the same reposition cast a few other skills etc…what Im trying to say is that there are no “gun” or ranged skills, like split shot or barrages or rain of arrows…Im pretty sure the only skills that are available for guns are the primary attacks like fire strike and lightning strike and something like that…so if you only take those skills you would be instead of shooting a projectile, you shoot a fire or lightning thing…I consider a basic attack with a new color…

thanks for your replies guys I found an interesting crossbow the quillshooter of dreeg…I tried it and it’s very interesting, it doesnt change that you still sit there shooting your basic attack but the eyes spawning and shooting more things could be really fun and an interesting change, idk how viable for a build it could be though

It may be somewhat straight forward I suppose but I find the gun play rather satisfying and enjoyable. I use a demolitionist and mixing powered up firestrike (with all the upgrades, especially brimstone!) with grenades or blackwater cocktails (hard decision to choose but I ultimately decided to switch to grenades as I felt it was more in line with the “commando” build) to be rather fun. The added mobility abilities as well as the new dodge further add to the mix.

1 Like

Nobody mentioned that Primal Strike works on ranged? And it’s basically lightining hail of arrows?

2 Likes

Most definitely this!

I have a lightning crossbow Vindicator, blasting Primal Strikes (with the Thunderous Strike transmuter), leaping around with Stormclap, dropping totems, and chanting Words of Renewal, and I have a blast with him. Certainly not boring! Ranged Primal Strike is pretty fun in my book.

Edit: Sorry for the necro; completely missed the dates, haha.

1 Like

Darkblaze Pyro and Evoker Vindi feel like proper ranged builds to me. With good damage spikes you can gun down most enemies before they touch you.

Is it? Inquisitor+Shaman make a really strong 2-handed ranged build (lightning Savagery + WPS).
I agree with OP though - there is too small variety for ranged skills. You have normal attack (Savagery, RF, Cadence), normal attack with some AoE procs (Fire Strike) and normal attack that hits in AoE around target (Primal Strike, Amarasta’s Blade Burst). All can have pass-through with WPS and/or some items. And that’s it.
To be honest, Melee (real melee) has about the same “variety”, unless we take into account spells with Weapon Damage (FW, CT, DEE, etc).
GD has real variety only when it comes to spells.

My Purifier is a beast. It must be where you’re putting your Devotion points or what skills you using. I use rifles and pistols only. I play in an elite setting.

Had to try it out for myself. Never used PS in a ranged build, and boy is it fun!

1 Like

the purifier build i play i think is strong too, but that’s not the point… sure procs are fun, but it’s true torchlight 2 has actual default attack skills that are different/more interesting… barrage, bouncing projectiles and huge projectile are the ones i can remember without checking in game…

And acid hailstorm on outlander.

I saw this post just now and thought “I bet I can make a fun build for Nomellamo”. How do you feel about this sort of build?

Default Attack is helpful, but not your primary source of spike damage. There’s a number of ranged skills that provide different sorts of damage or utility (freeze, trapping, debuffs etc), with some bits of nice blue magic on the screen withouot being full Inquisitor Disco.

Defenses are not bad, but not amazing which encourages you to keep moving like a good ranged build instead of facetanking everything.

What do you think?

Here’s a quick clip of some of the gameplay in Crucible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWk0GHubMJE

Edit: Here’s a clip of Crucible 140-150 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWDQ3SYg33s

1 Like