After having completed over 15 different builds in HC I’ve come to conclusion that some elements of the game weren’t even designed to be played in Hardcore. Sure, there are some players here who have completed SR 75 and braved every Celestial, but those were pigeon-holed into using a very small subset of builds and classes.
My biggest frustration with GD in its current state is Shattered Realms. It is just unreasonably random. Even if you get lucky with mutators, you can easily get wrecked in SR 45-50 in that tiny arena map packed with a bad boss combo. So, players are forced to either agro abuse or kite forever hoping that their AOE and DoT skills will finish off the bosses on time. How is that fun?
It’s all about damage/DA mechanics in my opinion. Previously, we had the ability to achieve high DA which would greatly reduce both the chance to be hit and damage dealt by mobs. We complained a lot and got it reworked/nerfed to a 60% cap. Great! But try running your favourite (non-tank) build in hardcore Crucible 150-170 or SR 45-60 and tell me how you feel about it.
Maybe the HC player base is just so small and negligible that it can be completely ignored? Or maybe the Devs are just too busy “fixing” retaliation warlords and Octavius based builds to pay attention to our concerns?
Regardless, I’m gonna post my findings down below and let you all figure out whether this game is properly designed:
- Physical EoR Warlord (Warborn based) - 3K Armor, 3K DA, ~85% AR, 13K HP, 13% ADCTH - Max SR 20 - reasonably safe
- Cyclone EoR Paladin - 1.8K Armor, 3K DA, ~83% AR, 13K HP, 15% ADCTH - Max SR 25 - reasonably safe
- Vitality PB Witch Hunter - 2K Armor, 3K DA ~85%AR, 14K HP, 30% ADCTH - Max SR 20 - reasonably safe
- Ghol Pet Cabalist - 2K Armor, 3K DA, 80-85%AR, 16K HP - Max SR 30 - reasonably safe
- Spellscourge Battlemage - 2.8K Armor, 3K DA, 80-85% AR, 14K HP - Max SR - 20 - reasonably safe
- Deathmarked Infiltrator - 2K Armor, 3K DA, 80% AR, 15K HP - Max SR 15 - reasonably safe
- Retaliation Oppressor - 3.2 K Armor, 3.2K DA, 80-85% AR, 15K HP - Max SR 40 - reasonably safe
- Retaliation Warlord - 4K Armor, 3K DA, 80-85% AR, 14K HP - Max SR 50 - reasonably safe
- Justice Cadence + Mortar Commando - 4K Armor, 3.2K DA, 85% AR, 13% ADCTH,15K HP - Max SR 60 - reasonably safe
10 Pseudo Retaliation Commando - 3.5K Armor, 3.3K DA, 85% AR, 20K HP - Max SR 70 - reasonably safe
How is that balanced, Z? Note, each build was optimized for HC. DW and close range casters seem to suffer really badly from burst damage coming from multiple sources in SR. There’s one build that shines here against all odds by abusing a specific game mechanics, but if I post it - the nerf bat is gonna swing and insta kill it. Let’s leave that one for another time and focus on the main issue please.
Hope this provides some useful info to those who can address and fix the issue. As for now, I’m forced to play one very specific build to safely farm high SR in HC.
If other HC players disagree, please post videos of your recent SR60-75 runs.