Having a BIG problem understanding how weapon damage is calculated, and if I should look at sheet DPS or not

For skills/spells this is easier to understand, but for weapons, especially for Nightblade with several different types of damage and dual wield, I find it close to impossible to understand if I should care ‘hover-over’ DPS or not.

Also, I would love the dummies actually could show total DPS.

Any idea how I can determent which weapons are ‘best’? Some show far higher ‘hover-over’ DPS then others, and I do NOT understand why…

Understanding damage comes with practice. It’s impossible to calculate one nice number and say: “this is your DPS”. It’s too complex and depends on what you’re fighting.
What you want is probably measuring DPS with Grim Internals.

1 Like

I know its complicated, but one can wonder when comparing 2 weapons, one giving far higher green-hover-over-DPS then the other, and at the same I see very little reason for one being far higher DPS then the other.

Let me rephrase then; what is included in the hover-over-dps number, and what is not?
Attacks speed? Looks like it. Piece? Not sure. +% xxxx damage numbers? Lat +xxx damage numbers? +xx skill?

I fully understand things like procs, set bonuses, etc is not, but the things I list over would be nice to know if are included or not…

DPS shows the exact amount of damage your left button mouse key (or right if you don’t bind offensive skill to left) will do in one second time. If your attack scales with cast or attack speed, it will be featured in calculations. For skills on CD, If your skill does 200k on 2 second cooldown, you’ll have 100k sheet DPS, simple as that.

Worth saying skills with fragments / projectiles shows the damage per one of them. You have to multiply sheet damage per number of projectiles.

1 Like

Still let’s not forget it doesn’t include OA or RR. For example a weapon might have higher DPS but will be dealing lower damage because of these factors.

Conversion on a weapon might influence it in the same way because converted damage to your main will be far more valuable in reality than DPS suggests due to RR. More attack speed might mean faster devotion / wps proc…

Personally I’ve never looked at it and considered unreliable proxy that might just lead me to wrong conclusions.