Help picking a build

Hello there, I am relatively new to GD. I have played it in the past and did alright but it’s not like I ever went in that deep into the game so i don’t have a solid grasp of it, even more so with changes that may have happened.

I used to play Pet builds because I don’t do too well with having to use multiple skills so it was just summon a bunch of pet and then have a single active abillity I use during the entire game.

I know there was changes to pets but I don’t know the long or short of it and it’s not like I’m married to the idea of playing a Pet build either.

What I want is a build that is low maintenance. One active skill for damage, maybe a debuff of sorts I cast occasionally on a boss fight, maybe a movement skill I cast every now and then to get around or dodge something nasty. No more than that. It should also be capable of melting bosses fast because nothing annoys me more than an enemy that outstays his welcome.

To note that if the build uses pets then I’d rather not have an active attack skill as pets often tend to block vision a lot so if the Pet do the damage, only they do the damage, I shouldn’t need to add in other than maybe throw a debuff every now and then but they still need to be able to melt bosses.

Maybe I am asking for too much, I don’t know, I sincerely don’t know the state in which GD currently is but I am hoping there is something here that I could have fun with.

Thank you.

EDIT: Not a fan of melee builds either, I prefer to be able to kill from a distance.
EDIT 2: I have all the expansions if that makes a difference.

Welcome to the forum and back to the game. :slightly_smiling_face:

What do you have of the game? Just the base Grim Dawn or the expansions as well? Makes a difference to the advice we give you.

Ah, yes, I have all the expansions. :slight_smile:

Then look here for beginner builds

and if you want pets then have a look here.

1 Like

In the beginning anything goes, my advice is to look with a starter build at something with easy access to resistance reduction.

Sounds like an Aether Ray build to me

Cadence. From soldier side only Warcry to press, and only if physical. Can do pierce blademaster (with Pneumatic Burst to press), physical death knight (Bone Harvest, MoT sometimes) or witchblade (CoF) or warlord (Ascension). These are about the most onebuttony builds there are.

But for beginners, I always recommend inquisitors because Inquisitor Seal helps with much deep content even with a halfassed build.

2 Likes

Do you happen to have a link to such a build guide? All Aether Ray builds I’ve seen so far have a lot of activatables which is my problem since I am no good with multiple activations.