Help With % Damage Mechanic

So first I did do an extensive search before posting. This is one of those situations where the more I searched the more confusing it got…

I thought this should be a simple question but GD (thankfully) has pretty deep/complicated mechanics…

If a see “% Increased Lightning Damage”, what is that increase based on? The starting Lightning damage of a weapon/skill?

Does “% All Damage” work the same way but across everything?

Are these % increases somehow restricted based on where they come from, i.e. skill, weapon, item, devotion, etc?

I’ve tried to determine this via a simple “swap and calculate”, i.e. swap an item out that doesn’t have “% X” with on that does and see what the impact is but I can’t determine any rhyme or reason…

the % increased lightning damage is based on the flat lightning damage that your skill / weapon etc has.

For instance, Storm box from Inquisitor. skill level 1 it deals 14 flat lightning damage. If you get +50% lightning damage from other skills, items, devotions, Storm box will now deal 21 lightning damage (since 50% of 14 is 7, and that you add to the base damage)

Another example is Rune of Haggarad (also inquisitor) it has a skill modifier called Biting cold. The +%cold damage on that modifier only applies to the Rune of Haggarad skill. So say you have skill level 1 Rune of Haggarad (30 cold damage as flat base value), and skill level 1 Biting cold (+10% cold dmg) and +40% cold damage on gear, devotions, etc. Your Rune of Haggarad will now deal 30 + 3 + 12 = 45 cold dmg.

“All damage” applies to all damage types: physical, pierce, internal trauma, bleed, …

Thanks that helps a lot.

What (if any) is the interaction between weapon damage and skill damage? Are there synergies or should I treat each “source” of damage (skill, weapon, etc.) as a “silo” with damage bonuses applying to them individually?

How does damage stacking function? If I have 3 sources of % Lightning and they total 125%, is that 125% increase from base/“flat” damage of that type?

If you have like an amulet that says “4 cold damage” that flat damage is added to your weapon damage. Note that some skills do not use any weapon damage at all.

Let’s say you have a sword with 40 physical damage, and you have an amulet that gives 10 physical damage, and that you have a pair of pants with +50% physical damage. Let’s use Forcewave as an example (soldier skill, we dont care about the tremor transmuter). At skill level 1, it reads 75% weapon damage and 10-18 physical damage (let’s use 14, the average, for this example)

Total forcewave damage is

(weapon damage * weapon damage % used + flat skill damage) * total damage modifier

that is done for each damage type, since we are just going with physical damage here, our result become

(0.75*(40+10) + 14)*1.5 = 77(.25) physical damage on average

All sources of +%dmg to that type adds up, we can expand the example with the Rune of Haggarad.

Skill level 1: 30 cold damage
Biting cold level 1: +10% cold damage
Helm: +50% cold damage
Ring: +50% elemental damage = +50% fire damage & +50% cold damage & +50% lightning damage
Amuluet: +20% all damage

Total damage modifier to Rune of Haggarad’s cold damage is 10%+50%+50%+20% = 130%

Rune of Haggarad will thus deal 30 + 30*1.3 = 30 + 49 = 79 cold damage.

On the second char tab, you can see all your +% damage to each type.

Need to chime in with an extra bit here: The second and tertiary skills in a skill line like, to continue using rune of hagarrad as an example, Chillsurge and Biting Cold’s (now that I look at it, just biting cold’s bonus) +% cold and Pierce damage, 98% at 12/12 affects the base damage of Hagarrad. Grim tools notes hagarrad as having 23 base piercing and 30 base cold damage, now including in Biting cold’s bonus brings you to roughly 46+60 before your % cold and pierce damage bonuses on your character.

also keep in mind those also affect transmuted damage, for example using Beronath, Reforged to convert 100% elemental to physical would convert the cold to physical leaving you with 60 phys damage thats then modified by your % physical damage bonuses.

Here is are examples:

Rune of Haggarad skill level 16: base cold dmg according to Grim Tools: 277

From game
I have biting cold at skill level 12: +98% cold dmg to RoH
and I have +576% cold damage from other sources.
In game, it says that RoH deals 2940 cold damage

Using your suggestion, that Biting Cold affects the base damage of RoH and then the TOTAL flat base damage of RoH is affected by the other +% cold dmg, we would get

2771.98(1+5.76) = 3708 cold damage

That is 800 more (26% more) than what it says in game.

So id GD like PoE in that the “tooltip” damage/data isn’t technically accurate and you have to use other tools/processes to get accurate numbers?

No need to make it complicated :undecided:. Biting Cold’s damage bonuses when calculating Rune of Hagarrad’s damage just adds to your global % Cold or Pierce damage which adds to your damage bonus from Spirit/Cunning (depending on which you’re calculating), then gets applied to Hagarrad’s base damage.

All 3 bonuses happen at the same time in one lump.

I am suggesting that the skill modifier +% dmg bonus is added to your other +% dmg bonuses of that type.

Read: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67237

I know, I did write this earlier

[i]All sources of +%dmg to that type adds up, we can expand the example with the Rune of Haggarad.

Skill level 1: 30 cold damage
Biting cold level 1: +10% cold damage
Helm: +50% cold damage
Ring: +50% elemental damage = +50% fire damage & +50% cold damage & +50% lightning damage
Amuluet: +20% all damage

Total damage modifier to Rune of Haggarad’s cold damage is 10%+50%+50%+20% = 130%

Rune of Haggarad will thus deal 30 + 30*1.3 = 30 + 49 = 79 cold damage.[/i]

the8anarchist suggested that +%dmg on skill modifier affects base skill damage FIRST and then THAT total flat damage is further enhanced by other sources of +%cold damage.

this: % damage bonuses from gear, buffs and devotion stats come AFTER skill % bonuses, its also why conversion affects them, those secondary line skills affects the base damage of a skill first, then the normal bonuses are factored in

It is still additive otherwise Chaos Cadance with Mythical Voidsteel Gauntlets would be insane

Ok then here is my question: Lets say i use mortar trap skill.He has base damage that is affected by % damage from equipment and so on.But he doesnt have %weapon damage on the skill.If i have some flat damage from lets say amulets, rings and so on i can see this flat damage in the damage tab under lets say physical damage.Bellow this flat damage is physical modifier%.So Does mortar trap attack is affected by this flat damage that i have from equipment or it is applied only on skills that have weapon damage in it.

only skills with weapon damage