How do I slightly edit an Existing Mod

I was just trying to change the number of points for raising the level in the dawn of masteries mod, unpacking the mod files, game files, replacing the playerlevels.dbr file, packing it through the assetmanager, it starts deleting the mastery files, saying that they are not linked.

It will delete the unlinked content of the .arc files, which is basically all of it. Just keep using the original arc files.

Your .arz file should be fine, provided you have the custom template in whatever dir you extracted the GD database to during the AssetManager setup.

too hard…

Not sure why keeping the original arc files would be hard, but ultimately this is your decision.

It really is not hard at all (that change would probably take me a minute). Assuming you are not computer illiterate you can probably figure it out in an hour or two with a bit of googling.
I know of several people with no modding experience that have made some small tweaks like that with similar help I provided here.

Sorry if I’m bringing up a rly old thread, but I am having problems with trying to edit a mod myself and was wondering if anyone can shed some light onto the problem I’m having please…?

I correctly set up the asset manager, also to read the additional browse and source directories for gdx1, gdx2 and I have also included the mod files that I wish to edit.

So, I successfully extract the grim dawn game files, and I can edit the mod as it shows up in the drop down bar (I extracted the .arz and .arc files so I can use the asset manager to read the mod files)

However, this is where I become baffled.
I can edit the mod by changing the skills and items etc, and then I save.
Then I build.

I get a message asking me if I wish to delete any unused resource files or something like that, and I click “no to all”.

Then, when the build has finished, I try to enter the game.

Everything is messed up. The graphics are all different colours, the hp,energy bars are missing, skills missing, my character is floating with his arms out…
This happens no matter how many different ways I try of fixing the problem - I am so confused…

Is it because of the removing of all the files from the mod that are listed as the mod I’ve edited is being built…? (I’ve no clue why it removes these files btw)

Please, would anybody know what the heck I am doing wrong…?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am completely at a loss.

Thanks again.

It removes all source files for which you have no corresponding asset file during the build process. The next question is whether you even have source files (eg .tga, etc) or just the compiled .tex, etc.

The safest way would be to take the arcs assetmanager creates and use archivetool to add all the missing files of the original mod to the arcs.
If you did not make any changes to the source part of the mod (only the database part), simply keep using the original arcs

Thanks so much for your reply. It seems that, no matter what I try, I can’t get it to work.
I am going to learn to give up! Thanks again :slight_smile:

please talk to me talk to me like im 5. what is the folder layout, where do arcs go? what do you meean my orginmal arcs.

Original arcs are the .arc files that come with the mod.

As to all your other questions, that is the same for GD as well as every single mod out there, so not something I am interested in rehashing. You should be able to figure that out at a glance once you managed to extract GD or a mod.
A good starting point is the Modding Guide that comes with the game as well as some threads on the forum.

1 Like
  1. extract the MODNAME.arz with arhive using cmd basicallyy [directory\a\b\c]> archivetool MODNAME.arz -[extraction dirrectorry] ** this will give you the “records” folder

2. in the “records” folder use DBR editor or use NOTEPAD ++ at the .dbr you want to edit. use ctrl + f to find the point you want to change.
    here’s an example records\creatures\pc\playerlevels.dbr > ctrl + f maxDevotionPoints [change value] to change max devotion

3. COMPILING THINGS BACK TO .ARZ <<< u asked for this
    open asset manager setting all directory to you GD directory.
    MOD > NEW > whatever
    or
    SELECT > existing mod.
    Close this buggy thing.

4. with file explorer copy “records” folder at point 2 to \Grim Dawn\mods[new or existing mode name]
    delete the MODNAME.arz at the folder or move it somewhere

5. back to asset manager select the new or existing mod > build the this will build the arz in the new or existing mod directory.

YES GD community expect you to be at least an 10 years experience as an IT. they will link you some tutorial that you totaly won’t understand then some types of guys will reply to you

1. the kind guy who wants to help but have a hard time to explain (cause the steps are frustrating)
  2. the guy who says “it’s in the tutorial”
  3. the guy who says it’s easy you just have to read and understand the tutorial again
  4. the guys who WON’T reply cause it’s fcking tiring just to understand the first step

at this point i’m not sure if GD community just bad at explaining or just a bunch of etilist, as you may see or already see there’s so few new member because of this intimidating community. Don’t get me wrong tho GRIM DAWN IS A GREAT GAME AND I LOVE IT. but the community, tutorials, and others? meh. the amount of mods created (compared to other games with the same type and quality just explains it all). and don’t tell me it’s actually easy and don’t tell me the community is fine. this post may be edited or banned by the admins but here you go.

3 Likes

no, it won’t, the command is wrong

not needed, you can just create a dir in Explorer and select it once you build

or you could just extract to the correct dir in the first place and skip steps 3 and 4 :wink:

you need to set up Assetmanager first, otherwise the build won’t work

we expect you to not be illiterate and be able and willing to google some stuff. If you cannot be bothered with that, then there is not much chance you will actually end up doing anything anyway.

you fit that category perfectly, well on top of that you also whine all the time - and no, the steps are not frustrating, it might take a bit to get used to them but there is nothing difficult about extracting and compiling mods (about making the desired changes however, that might depend on what you want to do)

you are bad at explaining, I cannot be bothered to explain the same stuff for the 100th time when you can find it easily in a tutorial or via Google already, so a bit of both I guess

the amount of mods is more a function of size of user base than game type and quality.

The one thing in GD that is detrimental to number of mods is that you cannot load multiple mods at once, but then I do not really care for 100 mods tweaking a skill each just a tiny bit or other miniscule changes. While it gets the number of mods up, that number is pretty meaningless.

Modding is generally not easy in any game, if you cannot be bothered to spend a few hours looking into stuff, then you will not get anywhere and likely will not get the level of help you need.
Why should I care more about helping you than you care about figuring some basic stuff out / creating your mod.

EDIT: since this thread keeps getting referred to, here is the last reply I wanted to make but it was already closed at the time (so it refers to a post below this one)…

yes, it absolutely is wrong, because you did not specify -database in your command

and then come up with a convoluted solution instead of a streamlined one, not sure how that is better. I am sure they would appreciate an easier way than one that sticks to what they were doing and failing at

no, I am not looking down on them and yes, there are plenty people who do not bother googling first

Also, if the answer is out there and easy to find and understand, me repeating it won’t help either if they already googled it and failed to understand it.

By all means, if you want to help these people do so, I have done my share and am not interested in repeating the same answers over and over.

yes I have, the steps are not frustrating to anyone :smiley:

Not figuring out the steps might be, but then actually figuring them out is not all that hard

pretty much (not that I think most people fall into the ‘stupid’ category, but if I have to explain what a command line is, how to set up Assetmanager and all the other stuff for you to get up to speed, than do not expect that level of hand holding, show some initiative and Google fu).
So this is not so much a “we cannot help you when you are stupid” as “we cannot help you when you are too lazy”

other than that, we do help. As I said, feel free to write clear, precise, detailed tutorials. No one is stopping you.

how do you think I got to that level, I figured out the basics on my own and it did not even take all that long. I am sure this would be true for most people if they actually tried.

if I cannot be bothered, I do not reply… you posted some nonsense and I was willing to correct it

this is a friendly community, we just do not bend over backwards when someone is too lazy. I welcome you to do this for a year and see if you can still be bothered afterwards (maybe, things have slowed down somewhat, so there are less questions these days).

consumers do not make mods, producers do, and getting one to switch from one to the other is not all that likely.

I do not care in the sense of counting mod numbers, you are taking this out of context.

As to helping them, I probably did more than most, but I do tend to not answer the same question more than a few times. If you do not know the answer then, you were not looking for it.

not sure why he had to spend that much time, I googled how to set it up and used it in maybe an hour. Never bothered with DBREditor really, but it worked right away for me.

And yes, I do expect you to spend a few hours if you want to mod, you do not become a barber, actor, nurse, … without spending a few hours looking into it. Modding is no different (other than that it actually only takes a few hours)

2 Likes

lol you wish that you’d get banned for this but the math is simple - don’t be an idiot and you won’t get banned. keep on reading that Requnix garbage and believing it :smile:

You come in here slinging that BS tho and throwing up attitude then don’t be surprised when you get what you get.

And DO NOTE: try actually reading this thread. reading the various responses and replies - then after that read your little rant and ask yourself, why the fuck did I even just write that noise?

Now that would be a good question indeed.

see what i just write “etilist” as in conservatives radical ways. they won’t bother to ask or clarify or trying to know is it possible? maybe there are other ways? nope they will stick to their ways. they won’t even listen to your problems. they will disregard your problems and just say “do this instead”.

i skipped the cd to direct the cmd command but well apparently it is wrong (even if i just tried it and now are playing fine)

see what i said? he didn’t bother to ask me is that possible ? but no it’s actually not needed not possible follow my way instead

not listening to users problems, i created the steps exactly as how the original author takes, because i’m listening to his and the others in this threads problems. but instead you just keep saying “no idk bout that bout your problems but here follow this way”

you are looking down on people. did you not think that people didn’t try googling first? people googled and people didn’t find any hence why they start asking at the place they expect they will find answer of “their” problems.

first what do you expect? of course i included my self in the list right? yes yes the steps are not frustating to “you”. have you ever tried looking from different prespectives? yes not all people are as smart as you that can understand those “so easy” tutorials. have you ever thought of that? or are you gonna reply to this “well can’t help you if you are stupid” or people who’s not be able to be at the same as level as you shouldn’t tried this game or modding at all? don’t worry i won’t comment about the insults as it is unessecary

as i have said you are looking down on people. if you cannot be bothered then why do you reply ?

true but on the other side number of mods depends on its community too. why? friendly community means new pottential modders. if you thought of all people as illiterate then the community won’t grow. “The whiners” is the consumer, the more they whine the more people make mods as mods comes from “not satisfied” feeling. “the whiners” then can become potential modders if guided prorperly.

that’s why you teach them not opress them. and of course “you” don’t care right. but “you” are not the only one that play the games right?

true but,

or did you expect everybody didn’t at least spend a few hours? are we too illiterate in your eyes without knowing us?

first you clearly have been in a drama with somebody.
second i’m not surprised. you didn’t even bother asking me properly what’s wrong and instead started throwing insults and unnecessary emotes.
third did you actually read this thread? have anyone solved their problems?

last what did you contribute in this thread?

i contributed by trying to give an answer (even if it’s actually wrong claimed by mamba)
mamba corrected me in his own way
now then are you here only to bring drama or to prove you are superior? is this high school?

You know… that’s a good question child.

That’s a good question indeed. I think that pretty much covers everything you just said pretty well there.

Don’t you know? Powbam is the almighty, the glorious, the omniscient, infallible and ineffable. To question the pow is to question reason.

Truly the most superior of all breathing beings.

1 Like

If he doesn’t, he does now :wink:

stop the “now this is a question indeed” and answer the questions. and stop with the unnecessary insults.

doesn’t that mean he must mediate and bring people on the forums on the right path? or are newcomers are not welcome here?

and what does that bring to this thread and discussion ? that i should shut up and just accept “this is how you do things here” and move on ? you know you could just answer this question “Yes” if you want me to shut up

If you wanted to be on the right path then you would have thought twice before being antagonistic in your first post. You would have been better served to leave that crap you put in it out of it.

Enough.

It’s over 2 years since the OP was even here. This thread is done.

1 Like