So I found a Mod I absolutely love in every way, except one. It makes the CD for Blood of Dreeg 60 seconds, which is insane, and makes my Zergmancer build completely non-functional. So, all I want to do is change this one tiny thing in the existing mod.
Progress I have made thus far:
- Identified the exact file I need to “extract” or “uncompile”, it is an .arz file, we’ll call it ModName.arz.
- Wasted a TON of time trying to get AssetManager to interact in any way with said file. It can see the mod, it can see the .arz file in the database tab. It cannot do anything with or to it at all.
- Discovered Grimextract, which actually works, and allows me to extract the ModName.arz, yay!
- Found the exact .dbr file I needed to edit
- Wasted a TON of time trying to get DBREditor to work, much like AssetManager, it is completely non-functional and useless
- Discovered DBR files can be edited with NotePad++ (D’oh!), made the change I wanted to make in under 2 seconds.
Now here’s where I’m stuck. I now have a folder called “Records” with all of the extracted files from ModName.arz. These records are now set how I want them. How the HELL do I turn this “Records” file and all it contains BACK INTO an .arz file so I can actually play using the changed mod?
I’ve fiddled with every god-damned command I can using AssetManager, with absolutely zero luck. I’ve put the “Records” folder into the same folder as ModName.arz, and Assetmanager then “sees” it when I select the mod, but I still cannot interact with it in any way. Telling AssetManager to Build with the mod selected either does nothing or breaks the mod, causing the custom game I run using the mod to function as a completely normal game, with all mod changes erased.
I’ve tried googling for a few hours on this, but have made little to no progress as about 90% of the existing links I get take me to a fun notice from Crate Entertainment that they have moved their forums to discourse.
I’m so close, I have the editted file I want to use, I have the whole rest of the mod already made by someone 1,000x better at modding than me, I just want to take my one tiny change and squeeze it back in there! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
[EDIT] I have discovered an additional way to not make any progress on this! So, if you put just the “Records” folder full of DBR’s into its own folder under the “mods” folder, then find that using AssetManager, you can use “build” to turn said records into an .arz! I got so excited, was this the solution I had been missing? Could I finally play the Mod I love with the one change it needed? NO! Of course not!
What a surprise. Instead, you get about 2,000 “could not find template” errors, and the .arz it spits out completely removes all changes the mod originally implemented if you use it as the basis for a custom game. So, still stuck at the same spot. I can extract everything and make the changes I want, I just can’t figure out how to put the guts back in without breaking the mod.