How do you approach creating builds?

As Bas said, I don’t 1-point the whole mastery, just what I think I’ll use.

Words time? Words time.

OK so we’ve decided on a Chillheart EoR build. The next thing I’ll do is search other skill modifier slots (offhand, head, medal, amulet, hands) for “to Eye of Reckoning”. Chillheart provides EoR flat Cold Damage and Phys->Cold. So if I can find some Physical Damage to EoR or more Cold Damage to EoR, that will look to me like a worthy item for consideration.

Searching the offhand for EoR bonuses, we do have the option of another Chillheart. So at baseline, we need to find something on the level of Chillheart or better than it. Most weapons, for Cold EoR, are not better than Chillheart. However, we do find that Mythical Gravetouch (shield) provides 40 more Cold Damage than Chillheart does, as well as Fire → Cold conversion - a Conversion type we still need. This seems like an obvious choice. The DE mod on Gravetouch doesn’t look appealing because we’ll be channeling EoR as it is, but the Veil mod looks pretty juicy. Oathkeeper + Nightblade seems like a reasonable call for this build now.

There aren’t any Heads, Medals, or Amulets that will provide something for EoR directly.

For Hands, Mythical Sandreaver Braces provides a small amount of 24 Physical Damage to EoR that I could convert to Cold via Chillheart, so this is a viable choice, but it’s obviously not a Cold item so I’m not 100% sold on it. For the Hand slot, then, I’ll search “+% Cold Damage" and "+% Elemental Damage” and see what I get. Of the available options, I think I like Mythical Dawnshard Grips the most. +2 Celestial Presence is some additional RR, we have the possibility of getting 19% Attack Speed on a good roll, and the Pneumatic Burst mod isn’t nothing. OK + Nightblade is looking juicier. More on that below.

At this point, it can be worth skipping to step 3 to take a look at some skills and ask the question “What do we still want?”

The answer is basically just +skills. We have Physical->Cold via Chillheart. We have Fire->Cold via Gravetouch. And we have global Lightning->Cold via the two of them, assuming we get decent rolls. (cough Join my crusade against the evil empire that doesn’t want Conversion to be a static stat! cough)

So we could start shopping for some direct +skills now…

…or we can get greedy and keep looking at skill modifiers. We still have Head, Amulet, and Medal to fill, after all.

Let’s search “to Veil of Shadow” and “to Pneumatic Burst” and see if anything good comes up.

“to Veil of Shadow” doesn’t reveal too much that looks too good. It does tell us we could opt to take the Mageslayer set, but we’d have to sacrifice our Dawnshard Grips for that. That isn’t the end of the world, but is the return really worth it? None of the set bonuses really help us. But it’s an option if we want it. On the other hand, we could get 10% Cold RR from Mythical Crown of the Winter King as well as +1 Nightblade, as well as some flat Cold. Similarly, Night’s Embrace (Amulet) gives us 6% Cold RR to work with, as well as being a +1 Nightblade amulet. We kinda want some +Oathkeeper though, but it’s worth keeping this in mind regardless.

What about “to Pneumatic Burst”?

Not really. There are some options here and there, namely in the Medal slot. Ilgorr’s Eternal Vigil is an MI that would eek out some extra % Damage for us and, in conjunction with Dawnshard Grip, make PB last a laughable 5 minutes. Mythical Undying Oath, on the other hand, would let us use the skill more frequently and provide us with a lot flat damage, both passively and while PB is up. Undying Oath is probably better but I’d say either one would work here. For flexibility purposes, I’ll go with Ilgorr so we open a slot up to affix selection. In the Head slot, we could take Namadea’s Horns for more flat on PB, but is that really worth losing a +1All slot to? I have my doubts. But it’s worth keeping in mind.

In light of all of this, I think prioritizing getting our skill levels up is the most important thing. I think a Kaisan amulet makes the most sense in this case. And this is where the bad news creeps in. At this point, there are no more Cold/Elemental items supporting EoR.

But all hope is not lost!

Reaper’s Legguards and a +Oathkeeper Relic get us everything we need to reach 26/16 EoR. I chose Serenity for my relic, from personal preference. With this, the hard part is over. Look for Cold/Elemental Damage % items that provide +skills bonuses to specific skills we’re interested in and then round out our skillpoint investment itself.

6 Likes