[How-To] Download and Install Older Versions of GD [Steam-Only]

:joy: Yup I know… I tend to read most everything that gets posted on the forum and I certainly keep an eye on the GI thread.

As for the “use” of it… there might be others but you’re the first to comment on my own tool, so congrats :tada:

1 Like

Ahh. Yeah. It DEF was needed! I can’t even play the game without GI so your tool made it very straight forward and easy. Pretty much was plug-and-play.

To be honest I’d have focused more on your tool then the actual CMD aspects. I found NO issues with the tool.

Like I said man. GG!

1 Like

Oh. And btw - I made my profile on this site JUST to comment on your tool. 99.9% of the time I’m lurking to get my GI and Grim Tool updates! Lol

I felt I had to throw out that name (I legit renamed my copy of it to GDDD. LOL!).

1 Like

No prob. That’s pretty much why I decided to go ahead and scratch up a little gui front-end. The whole procedure is a bit complicated for the average joe I suppose, so I figured might as well try to make it at least a little easier to do the deed.

If you need info for any older builds I haven’t got to yet just me know and I can update the tool with the pretty easily now.

Lol ya my name wasn’t the most creative… Tell ya what… Whenever I submit a new version of the tool I’ll change it to yours then. Works for me.

1 Like

I’m an Electron programmer myself so I’m comfortable with the CMD. But I have to respect and use tools made by the authors!

The only update I’ve needed (so far I hope) is 1.1.9.3.

I will mention one thing that DID have me wondering while I was reading your tutorial. I wasn’t entirely positive if the script needed to be ran for EACH (as the program shows it does) versioning of the game (Base, AoM, FG and each of the Crucible updates) or if just (for example) downloading FB and the latest Crucible. So maybe make that a bit clearer (unless I missed that part?).

I’ll have to re-read my guide on it but I think I do mention somewhere that you need to download everything you own one by one by, preferably in the order they released.

Basically if you own everything and the Crucible you need to do each in turn, including the Crucible downloads for each.

I did rush writing the guide so it could certainly use a rewrite to polish it up and make it clearer and easier to read, as soon as I get a chance. That was actually in the back of my mind when I wrote it.

I’m following this excellent guide and downloading the 1.1.9.3 version of the game as I type this. It is very clearly laid out and nice and easy to follow, even with my rusty CMD knowledge :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ty for this, it’s gonna be a lifesaver. I need my Grim Internals fix lol.

1 Like

@Torzini

His tool actually takes out all of the hassle. No need to even do anything in CMD!

@powbam

Like I said - I may be wrong (I’m just trying to give some feedback so I don’t mean to be rude or nickpick by ANY means) - But I can’t find it. Your example uses B14 (0.2.0.6) which was released in Nov 2013 - The Crucible (for example) was released in Aug 2016. Both were released before AoM (which was released in Oct 2017).

True! I saw that as well, haven’t tried it but I’m extremely impressed by how it looks. I opted to go ahead and follow the step-by-step guide so as to make extra sure of what I’m doing, I don’t mind :smiley:

P.S. @powbam I just read up a few comments, congrats on the new job and the addition to your family! Super appreciate this kind of stuff and no worries about updating anything, you must be busy as all heck right now.

1 Like

Well, basically when I say order they released I primarily mean the base game and the 2 expansions. The Crucible is kind of a separate thing tho it did release before the expansions.

Essentially you will always want to download first the base game (and crucible) then aom (and cruc), then fg (and cruc). In that order. If you were were to only download just the FG Crucible version, for example, you would find that the Crucible wouldn’t even load because it would be missing the other files it needs. I tested this myself while making the tool to verify if you truly needed to download each separately, and it turns out you do.

1 Like

Thats why I was pointing out that mentioning that may be a good idea so as to not throw a curve ball with someone that doesn’t know CMD or how the SteamDB works? For those like @Torzini who wanted to use the written guide and not the tool.

Just an idea. :smiley:

Many programs that pull updates from Steam just require you to grab the latest patch (or the patch you are pulling from like SteamCMD). This tool (as I noticed from using the great application you wrote) made it very clear to me that that is NOT how the Depot worked. :smiley:

1 Like

Yup. I’ll definitely take a look and make that clearer in the sections needed as soon as I can then so thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

To be fair he does mention it already, yeah - “You will need to do each download in succession if you also want Crucible, AoM, and FG content as well.” I’ve just been going down the list in order, so it seemed pretty clear to me already. Though I guess I can see how there might be confusion.

That is further down the post. Its NOT in the tutorial. People “generally” do NOT read further down to pick up on major details of whats going on. Many people do things in chronological order starting from the top and work their way down. They don’t read an entire thread before starting.

It’d prob be best placed before:

“After it completes the download, copy the entire “B14 (v0.2.0.6)” folder and then navigate to the directory preceding where you have Grim Dawn installed and paste it into this location, like so:”

As this tells the reader that they are done with their downloads - And that they can now rename their downloaded folders.

1 Like

Oh nice - don’t think I was aware of SteamCMD. The only tool I knew of to get old builds was DepotDownloader - I might have to take a closer look at it someday then to see what all it can do.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

SteamCMD is a great tool to use if you run dedicated servers for games like ARK, Valheim or 7 Days to Die, etc.

Does it let you download manifest ID stuff for any game or is just for the server-based type of stuff?

Hm. Not sure - looking at it, it does seem to be primarily geared toward server-based games. Not sure if it limits itself only to such tho but it does look like its main functionality has servers in mind primarily… so possibly it wouldn’t be an alternative for acquiring GD and other games necessarily? I see that someone did something similar to what I did tho and made a front-end for it.

Lol this is true. Definitely no harm in extra accident-proofing, or making it extra obvious in case. People often skim over things on the internet :smiley:

1 Like

I honestly don’t want to lie to you on this. I’ve only ever used it to download Dedicated Servers… It works with games that use SteamPipe which I THINK are pretty much games that use server-based connections.