⬆ How to level top 20 (softcore) builds in Grim Dawn topic

Im interested in leveling a fresh character for this build, but im not sure how to invest the skill points early, as in when do i invest in primal strike or sigils, does anyone have a quick tip/idea on skill progression for this build? Chaos Sigil + Chaos / Vitality Primal Strike Conjurer

1 Like

I will write you more later but

• devotion:

• Green Crossroad
    • Scholar’s Light
    • Blue Crossroad
    • Eel
    • remove Blue Crossroad
    • Kraken
  • skills:

• if Veteran you’ll probably need to invest into Savagery initially (and then respec) to kill Kyzogg otherwise just pump Shaman and get to Thunderous Strike transmuter asap and use Primal Strike with some 2h ranged weapon

• as many points into Primal Strike as possible from Energy consumption aspect,
        craft Arcane Spark when you can
    • after that I don’t think it’s worth it to pump Shaman mastery beside 10 needed for Thunderous Strike
      so I’d just increase Occultist one

• Devouring Swarm probably only after you have Primal Strike converted to Vitality with the medal

• important skills: Primal Strike, Sigil line, Devouring Swarm, Blood of Dreeg line, Possession

3 Likes

thanks for that, i have a question though, why dont you max torrent?

its Lightning damage is not converted by medal’s skill modifier, more info here Secondary Skill Modifiers
but you could consider puting more points to it, especially with this belt Trollheart Waistguard - Items - Grim Dawn Item Database

@Cruizable here’s a link with points spent in Torrent using this other belt - Conjurer, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator
maybe a good idea actually since it has such goods resists

btw if you don’t find the helmet, use 75 / 94 level Fettan Mask.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand. This top 20 builds are somewhat for beginners but the comments about this build suggest it’s only really end game viable.

1 Like

You got it right - the list is a collection of potential ways to level one of the top-20 endgame builds (from the list linked in the opening post) - and in this case the target endgame build is only viable in endgame as specific items are necessary and not already while levelling, so a different way to level the build is needed.

It is not a list of the top-20 leveling builds.

3 Likes

The funniest part is I don’t have the expansions yet so I realised I cannot do it anyway :wink:

2 Likes

It’s because your Retaliation damage will be pretty much a joke at lower levels, particulary so when playing SSF from scratch. Retaliation builds are very gear-dependant, and the only the ones with Occultist class can enjoy relatively fast levelling due to Fevered Rage.
You can level it as “normal” Vitality Grasping Vines + Devouring Swarm though, with Bonespike, Groble’s Sand Effigy and few other MI items. Playstyle is very similar. And you switch to RtA vines after you get proper legendaries, ad its wont take too much time as those legendaries arent that uncommon. If you want a build you can level up with the same setup and damage type, there are a plenty of other builds there in top20 list to choose from. And many, many others who didnt make it to the list, but still very strong and can be played from the scratch SSF.

1 Like