How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location.

hard to say, as you provide no information.

I assume you used local saves and made no backups, at which point this depends on whether you can still read from your HD. A crash does not necessarily mean that all data on it is lost.

I am not certain. I have been playing GD since Beta on Steam.
Edit (That is to say I did not change the saving options or do any backing up period. Whatever it was before it was a real game is what I had)
The HD and all the information is sadly a write off.

The Cloud save referred to here is still technically local, isn’t it?

yes, the dir referred to here is local, but the same data also resides in the Steam cloud.

Basically the OP tells you how to move data to the local side of the cloud and that then gets replicated to the actual cloud from there. The Steam cloud and that dir should generally be in sync.

That also means your data should still reside in the cloud and get downloaded from there back on to your PC if you used cloud save.

Whether you did is a difficult question, the default setting changed at some point in time and is now the cloud I believe, so you might be lucky. Only one way to find out, get the new HD, install Steam and GD and hope for the best…

I have completed those steps. Initial loading of the game has no characters.

Going to the options tab, and choosing networks I have chosen “import data from cloud” and it seems to have done nothing.

At this point I will assume my too many hours are gone, but should I restart at this point it will start saving on the actual cloud?

By default, yes. Or you can set it to save locally and make backups yourself if you don’t trust Steam Cloud not to eat your saves, which does seem to happen to some people in a variety of games, likely due to network hiccups imo.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

This. I don´t understand how people who invest hundreds or thousands of hours in the game don´t backup manually. Why not take a few minutes now and then and make a manual backup, zip it and send it to your email account?

:eek: Be more paranoid, please. :eek:

I am wanting to start using the inventory manager, so I need to change from cloud save to local save. The saves are not showing up now. I have done the following:

*Unchecked “enable Steam cloud synchronization” in Steam

*Unchecked “cloud saving” in GD options

*Copied and pasted C:/Program Files (X86)/Steam/Userdata/Randomnumber/Randomnumber/Remote/Save to desktop for backup, just in case

*Cut and pasted same “save” folder to Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn

*Restarted computer

The saves did not show up.

From there, I moved the save folder from My Games/Grim Dawn, then downloaded the saves from Steam cloud in GD. The folder downloaded without issue, and appears exactly the same as the one I had just pasted.

The saves are still not showing up.

Just to troubleshoot, I put the saves back in the steam cloud default location, and the game did not see them. After checking “enable cloud” in GD again, the saves did appear.

So it looks like the non-cloud game default location and the save folder location are not the same.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

This is more of a “I’ve read your post and will think on it”…than how to fix at this moment as I’ve had visitors with bottles of wine, so I know I’m missing something obvious, just cannot see it.

Just brief thoughts, the 2nd set of numbers isn’t random it’s always the one in the first post (2199…whatever), the 1st number is tied direct to your account, so keep that number private. :wink:

In the save folder you should have a folder \Main and inside that should be all the folders for your chars titled “_charname” as long as you have \Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save\main with your char folders in that \Main folder and in GD settings Cloud saving unticked then your chars should show in game.

p.s. Welcome to the forums and sorry it’s not on a happier note, but will get your saves sorted…he says hopefully :smiley:

Thank you for the response, welcome, and condolences.

#firstworldproblems

Inside of the save folder and main folder are all of my characters in their own folders. I validated when I pasted it into the non cloud location.

I copied the exact same folder back into place when checking to make sure I could return to cloud settings.

It is probably something I am doing wrong…lol.

ETA: I am tracking on the numbered folders.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well I have to say I’m confused…:o

Can you possibly take a screen shot of your GD settings on the General tab and one of the contents of your \Main folder so I can see the address bar.

Cheers

I will screenshot current settings (returned to cloud until I can figure this out) and my (to this point obviously incorrect) second attempt local settings this evening.

Thank you for your willingness to help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Here are my current settings. It was suggested that I not share the first numbered folder so it is blacked out. I will go back through the process and post screen shots for direct comparison.

And what do you know. I swear I did exactly the same thing. Now it is working.

Feeling rather foolish, but would love to know what I failed to do the other day.

Hi, I wish I found your post earlier. Here is my situation:

I started playing GD with Cloud Saving ON.

I had several characters, none are optimal cause I didnt know much about the game back then. As time goes on and I learned more about itemization and different builds, I increasingly felt the need to have a stack mod. I installed GDStash. And yes, I did read the warning regarding using GDSTash with Cloud Saving on. Things were going fine, I made use of the unlimited stash space quite well and did really enjoy the game ever since.

But one day I made one mistake. And every thing in my stash is gone. Mats, legs, potions, gone. I couldn’t recover it at all. the only thing left is my characters and the gear i wear and the stuff in my bag. I felt horrible.

Then I made a decision to switch to local save file. But I did not transfer any characters from cloud to local cause I didn’t know we could do it So I started fresh. I did use GDStash to cheat some help items to get started super quick.

And now, I have like 15 characters with around 10 of them being maxed out. I really enjoy this game. I have a lot of build ideas, I generate them so fast I cannot grind character fast enough. For example now, I just had an idea for a Witch Hunter, but I don’t have one.

However,

I do have a lv 90+ Witch Hunter in my cloud save! and so I digged, dived deep in my file explorer to find those cloud saves. And nothing showed up. I find no “Steam” folder, no “219990” folder no nothing.

So my question is: After checking “Cloud Saving” in Grim Dawn settings, do all my cloud save characters get deleted :(((((((

Can I recover them somehow???

I don’t mind grinding a new Witch Hunter again but it will be super neat if I can get him back.

Hiya mcquany and sorry for delay in replying I’ve been rebuilding my pc from scratch.

First off, NO, Grim Dawn doesn’t delete any of your saves, even if you uninstall GD, without you manually selecting a char in the char screen and select delete. :slight_smile:

Regards your cloud save, what’s the location of your Steam installation?

you want the steam installation? or grimdawn? I think they are separate

You were saying that you cannot find your cloud saves, these are all stored in whatever location you installed Steam. GD does also have local saves in a different locvation, hence this thread, but these are only used when cloud saving is disabled and you said

I find no “Steam” folder, no “219990” folder no nothing.
Hence why I asked where your Steam folder is, as you say you don’t have one.

Hence my confusion. In the Steam folder, which if you have Steam installed WILL exist, is the location of the cloud saves, which is given in the very first post.

I really don’t understand how you can supposedly have no steam folder etc.

Oh my gosh. You are right. So, my Steam is installed in a different location. And Grim Dawn is installed in a different location. And so I got confused. THanks a lot I found my character!

I know this has probably been covered many times, but I’m having trouble solving the issue.

I began playing grim dawn before stema cloud sync was a thing.

Unfortunately, I never got around to fixing this, and my SSD drive blew up, taking all my character data with it. (so now i have to start without all my unlocks, recipes, iron, rep, etc. feels bad man)

So now I’m trying to utilize the cloud, but cannot get my characters to upload in it.

Here’s the situation:

2 hard drivers, my main SSD, and a secondary regular HDD. Grim dawn is installed on the 2nd hard drive.

My characters save data is stored under users/Username/Documents/My Games/ Grim Dawn/ Save/ Main/ then the individual characters

The save file on my 2nd HDD was blank. So I copied my files from above into D:steamlibrary/steamapps/common/grimdawn/save.

I also copied the files into steam>userdata>numbers>219990>remote>save>main

When I have enable cloud saving within the grim dawn settings turned on, no characters show up as playable.

When I turn it off, I can view my characters again.

Hiya VahnNoa, sorry I didn’t see this earlier. First off backup all your saves, check that GD is set to NOT use steam cloud in GD’s settings, then delete ALL the saves on the D drive ( D:steamlibrary/steamapps/common/grimdawn/save…I also copied the files into steam>userdata>numbers>219990>remote>save>main). This should leave just the untouched saves in \documents\mygames\grim dawn.

Check that GD starts and loads your chars.

Go to Steam’s GD page and make sure that cloud saving is enabled there and then go to GD’s settings and select Steam cloud saving.

This “should” move your saves to the correct location for Steam to find them.

Move the save folder out of \docs\mygames\gd…just to be sure.

Start GD and fingers crossed your chars should be showing and stored via Steam’s cloud.