How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location.

The information you can share is which version are you using. You say you bought from GOG - was that a direct purchase from them? Also you say Humble Bundle purchase - what platform did you get a key for - Steam or GOG? If the only versions you have are GOG versions, then Steam has nothing to do with it. Any cloud saving would be on GOG Galaxy. And again, you need to disable cloud saving (G0G/Steam) and ingame. You need to do both, one only doesn’t disable it properly. And have you updated the base game? If you haven’t played for some months you’re several updates behind.

I’m on version 1.0.6.0. The GoG version was a key from a keys website, kinguin I believe. The Humble Bundle version I claimed as a steam key, but haven’t used it. I will download Galaxy to see if I can disable cloud saves from there. That still won’t solve the issue of my new characters “disappearing” when the cloud save option is unchecked, will it?

If you have not used the Steam key, then Steam isn’t the problem since you haven’t downloaded the game from there.

Um, read this

https://techguided.com/is-kinguin-legit-windows-games/

most likely the copy isn’t legit. As far as I know only Humble Bundle have the rights to sell keys unless they’re bought directly from GOG or Steam.

This is part of the reason I purchased the game a second time, to make sure I was fully supporting Crate, and I needed AoM.

If my first version is an illegitimate copy, am I unable to retrieve those saves? I’m still so lost on where these two characters are located :o

Well, you can try looking under C:\GOG Games\Grim Dawn and see if there’s a save folder there that might have them. Or they’re possibly corrupted somehow and not useable. I think GOG’s cloud saving only works if you have Galaxy installed.

I have a C:\Games\Grim Dawn Ashes of Malmouth directory with a Save folder, but it’s empty. I can still play the characters if the cloud saving option is enabled. I guess I’ll skip using GDIA and create new characters on the Steam version…

I know I keep repeating myself, but there has to be a way to find these newer characters, right?

Have you looked under C:\My Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main to see if your characters are also there? That’s the local save file.

Yes sir, the old characters are stored there, but not the two new characters. I know none of this makes sense. I give up. Thank you all for trying to help :wink:

If AoM’s been installed on the non-legit copy the saves may not have worked. Sorry, but I think you’re screwed.

Back up your other toons in the local save file, uninstall everything and delete the save file in C:\ and then reinstall a legit copy of the base game, then AoM and then put your toons back into the new save file on the C drive. Turn off cloud saving in whichever platform you get the legit copy from and ingame and then everything should save locally.

Based on this GoG forum post: https://www.gog.com/forum/yookalaylee/save_game_location, you can try looking in:

C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications
Or
%APPDATA%…\LocalLow
(I think this would be: C:\Users(username)\AppData\LocalLow)

Perhaps there is a Grim Dawn folder? This is just an educated guess.

Nope, not located in either of those folders either. I searched for my character’s names in Windows Explorer and came up empty. The files must be stored remotely. Lesson learned, I will not be purchasing from a cdkey website ever again.

Cheers for the info, I don’t see that either copy (humble or Gog) can be illegal if the Gog was downloaded from Gog regardless of who the key seller was (cdkeys.com is a very good site and all legit)

I’ll have a good hunt and see if I can find where the cloud gog saves are located if you haven’t already been put off.

Medea…Please there’s no sign of non-legit game use here…why give incorrect info ESP as you have a title of Super Moderator…please if you’re not completely sure, don’t give out info as your title gives your points a lot of weight and makes the statement fact.

I’m trying to keep this thread helpful and then there’s posts from you telling people to completely delete and re-install the game just to try to find a saved char and hinting that they might be playing a pirated vertsion of the game.

As I’ve stated before, this isn’t essential. You can leave Steam enabled and disable just in GD

Seems to be if he wants to run GDIA.

Installing

1. Disable cloud saving for Grim Dawn in Steam.
  2. Disable cloud saving for Grim Dawn inside GD itself (checkbox under settings)
  3. Install Net Framework 4.5.2
  4. Run IA

Did I miss something? :confused:

Another update:

I completely disconnected my PC from the internet and can still access my characters and their stash, so the files HAVE to be stored on my machine somewhere, right?

Yes this is usually the way even with cloud saving.

Try searching for these items, folders with your charname and one or 2 underscores before the name [_charname] or [__charname], folders with the name of [levels_world001.map] as this is in every single char’s save folder, files with [.gdc] and [.gdd] as the extension, in the save folders and elsewhere in GD and you should be able to locate your saved chars.

If you’re using windows search and not having any luck use Everything, free search tool and it’s excellent and you can bin it afterwards if you want.

I FOUND THEM! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I downloaded Everything and searched for _charName and found the directory. The two new characters were located in:

C:\Users\Frankie\AppData\Roaming\Steam\GOG\219990\remote\save\main

Seriously, thank you SO very much :smiley:

:eek: I’m not even going to think about how a GOG file got in Steam. Weird.

Glad as hell you have found them :smiley:

As to how on earth they have ended up there… wonders of bloody modern technology :undecided::undecided:

My HD recently crashed, so I needed to get a new one / fresh install. If I’m understanding this thread correctly then my 641 hours of characters and loot are gone?