How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location.

It’s not either via Steam or ingame. You need to disable cloud saving in both, in Steam and also in the game’s options section when you are at the main character screen.

Cheers for the updated post.:slight_smile:

Can you right click on the GD local save folder and check the security settings for read/write on the actual folder.

You’re correct with the local save path.

If you start the game and open settings straight away, is the cloud saving box ticked or not and if it is, does un-ticking it, exiting the game, restarting and checking the settings again show it as ticked or unticked.

Cheers and I’ll think while you’re checking these.

Actually the Steam setting doesn’t make any difference, mine is on in steam, but as long as it’s off in GD that’s good enough as I never have any chars in my steam save location. I usually suggest both to be on the safe side, but it’s not really that needed. :wink:

Well, I did have it disabled from the start. Enabling and disabling it seems to have fixed the issue. I guess that is the one thing I didn’t turn on and off each time I reinstalled as it stayed un-ticked when I checked the first few times and was still un-ticked at the end.

Appreciate the assistance, I was banging my head against the wall so hard I was about to go unconscious :stuck_out_tongue:

After changing both back and forth a few more times it seems to have settled down. I won’t nudge the status quo anymore now that it seems to be mostly happy. Thanks for the updates and assistance. :slight_smile:

More than happy to help…even though I didn’t actually do much then. Really glad to hear you have it all sorted :smiley:

Hahahaha… know that one all too well :smiley:

That’s damn handy to know and yet another something I can suggest for others to try. Many thanks for that indeed.

Glad to hear it’s sorted out. Enjoy the game. :slight_smile:

Okay, slightly different question:

I don´t use cloud saving but local saving. Is it possible to duplicate the whole folder, give it a new name and have the character appear in Grim Dawn?

E. g.: “Grim Dawn–> save --> main --> _Name” to “Grim Dawn–> save --> main --> _NameX”? Possibly not, right? :undecided:

The char name is inside the data inside the folder, the folder name is just a reflection of the char and doesn’t change the actual char name.

Yeah, stupid question of me. :eek:

Is there any fast possibility to duplicate the character?

Make a back up of the char and iirc one of the stash / char utilities allows you to rename the char, I’d try mamba’s…possibly :undecided:

Everything is fine. GDStash helped. :slight_smile:

nice topic!

good guide :slight_smile:

Hi everyone, I’ve run into a weird issue that I can’t seem to figure out. I’ve never used steam with GD, but my two newest characters have been saved to the cloud. When I disable the cloud saves option, the two new characters don’t show up at all. As expected, when I navigate to the local save folder, the two new characters don’t exist there. Where are the cloud saves located when steam isn’t used?

Re-read the original post.

Based on your post you were using Steam’s cloud save. Re-enable cloud save and your characters will show up.

I’ve read the first post multiple times. I’m not using Steam at all, the steam directory mentioned in the first post is empty.

I also should have clarified that I want to use GD Item Assistant, so I need to have the cloud saves disabled.

How can I extract my two newest characters to my local save directory? I’ve tried using the download cloud save option. That didn’t work.

If you’re not using Steam then you must have the GOG version of the game. So why enquire about Steam? :confused: Have you disabled cloud saving in both GOG (or Steam) and ingame - you need to do both.

How did you enable Cloud saving as you’ve never used Steam? How do you know that they have been saved to the cloud? and are you using GoG?

Answers to these will help me work out what’s going on. Cheers

I’m inquiring about steam because my two newest characters aren’t located in the local save directory, so I figured they have to be saved to the cloud. As far as I can tell from reading this thread and others, the steam cloud is the only cloud that characters are saved to. I run the game directly from my machine, without a platform like steam running at all. I’ve also never used Galaxy, which I believe is GoG’s platform? I had never heard of Galaxy before I started researching this issue.

So I’ve actually purchased GD twice, once from GoG and once from Humble Bundle. Upon starting up the game again after not playing since before AoM, I noticed my old characters were still present, which was awesome. I decided to try new characters since I now had the expansion, but neither of them are saved locally. As I mentioned, I haven’t used GD with steam, and the steam directory you mentioned doesn’t exist for me. When I began these two new characters, I didn’t change any options at all. I recently found out about Grim Dawn Item Assistant, so I disabled the cloud saves option from the Grim Dawn general settings. After I disabled that option, my two new characters are gone. I can re-enable that setting to get them to show up again, but I need cloud saves disabled to use GDIA. When I try to use the download character from cloud option, GD crashes every single time.

Ok, I’m not sure what further info I can share, but if you need more, let me know. Now back to my original question: Where are the saves of these two newest characters located???