How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location.

Yeah, it’s not a problem doing without Galaxy if your internet speeds are great, but mine aren’t. I got very tired of it taking a whole morning or afternoon to download and reinstall everything.

Btw local saves default is: C:\username\My Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save. And yes, backup that save file before you do anything. :slight_smile:

So how to get the Steam actually read your save?
After an issue with Win10 had to do a clean install of everything and even with cloud off and the local save folder has the old content (hopefully!) the game won`t read the data aka no toons, no fun.
“For dummies” version of recovery operation would be nice right about now.

Suggestion, don’t know if it will work. Back up the local save file first, then delete it. Then start the game, it should create a new local save file. Then put your toons back into the new folder.

The save folder layout changed quite sometime ago so please check that your char saves are in these locations depending on local or cloud saves.

Char save locations. These are the default install locations, if you have installed steam elsewhere then please navigate to the steam folder there.

Steam
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\folder of numbers\219990\remote\save\main

Grim Dawn
C:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save\main

Basically the \main folder was added for standard non-modded chars to keep them separate from any mod saves

Ok.
So my old data is on Documents.
Is it just delete remote and C&P local into its place?

Thank you very much Jaknet and Medea!

BACK-UP…anything and everything…just in case. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to move everything to the steam cloud save from local saves then yes…copy and poste and make sure that steam cloud is enabled in BOTH steam AND GD settings. :wink:

Any probs, just say :smiley:

Aaaaaaaand…no.
Didnt do a thing, must have corrupted/conflicting data or something. Also the funny part was that my new toons werent saved on local.
Oh well, atlest I can get my components from GDStash.

I’ve read through this thread and your posts, it’s still not clear to me that you’ve actually disabled Steam cloud save. So…

There are two places you need to change:

• In Grim Dawn | Options | General Tab | Cloud Saving -uncheck and save
  • In Steam | Grim Dawn | Properties. Go to Steam, Go to Grim Dawn, right-click on Grim Dawn and select properties. In one of those tabs (UPDATES) is a place to uncheck to disable cloud saves (Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Grim Dawn).

Do that, then verify that those changes actually took. :slight_smile:

If that works, then backup your save files from local and Steam. I’d say backup the save folders in both locations. Then delete everything in the save folders.

Once that’s done, then start the game. You shouldn’t have any characters.

Been there, done that and more.
What is intresting, though, is that my local save doesn’t get upgraded with my cloud toons.
Must be some kind of conflict due to old formulas and stash.

Bolded by me.

I really, really don’t understand this.

If you have done as ibugsy posted then you won’t have ANY old formulas or stash left :undecided:

Can you please post 4 screenshots of your save folders showing the contents and the address bar. Both the \save and the \main in both the steam save location and the local save location. Cheers

Steam
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\folder of numbers\219990\remote\save\main

Grim Dawn
C:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save\main

Ok, hope this linking works as should…

So here`s what I have tried:

1. Disable Cloud and try with locals (pics3,4) with empty remote
  2. Enable Cloud, empty remote and c&p local and download cloud saves
    As you can see atm my cloud toons dont get added into local file automatically. Im starting to wonder if I should have besides removing the cloud save folder in remote ALSO in-game Delete Cloud Saves?

Cheers for that and everything is where it should be. :slight_smile:

I`m starting to wonder if I should have besides removing the cloud save folder in remote ALSO in-game Delete Cloud Saves?
That sounds like this is the problem as the in game options don’t “delete” the cloud saves, they “Disable” cloud saving which means that until you untick the cloud saving box in the in game settings your chars will always try to show in the steam…\main etc.

He says hopefully with fingers crossed :wink:

If you want to play with local save files, I recommend disabling Cloud saving in both GD and the Steam properties of GD. The game will then use the local saves.

If you enable Cloud Saving in GD game options, then, of course, it will use the save files in the Steam save file location.

Either you use Cloud saving, or you don’t. Either way, I’d recommend setting the settings the same in both Steam and GD.

If you want to delete your Cloud save files from Steam, then you need to :

• enable cloud saving in both GD and Steam.
  • Restart GD.
  • In GD game options, go to Network tab and click the Delete Cloud save files button. (I think that’s the name.)
  • Once that’s done, disable cloud save in both GD and Steam.

In short, either cloud saving is on or off, and settings in both Steam and GD are set to either on or off. :slight_smile:

Well f me, finally got my saves back, sort of.
Need to “cheat” the shit out from GDStash, want my components, crafting mats and Batch Of Mastery-formula back.
As far as wtf went wrong can’t really tell.
Had to cheat Steam to complain about conflict between locals and Cloud.
After that the game wouldn’t start with just locals w/out Cloud saves.
Only after I had the same folders in local and remote did the game start.
Then I could turn off cloud and now everything seems to work with GDStash.
Everything was done by the book, but still there were some issues that are beyond me.
Beating ones head many enough times against the wall,seemed to work, though.

Odd thing, tried to follow the guide but somehow my character files exist in both the Steam Cloud file path and the Grim Dawn offline file path but… they don’t reflect what is actually in game. Making a character with any name doesn’t create a new folder, and deleting or readding the folder makes no difference. :confused:

Seems like this game doesn’t want me to play anymore as it deleted the one character I had (level 34, but still…). I now have a choice of making a new character (but not being able to share items etc) or stop playing. :undecided:

Hi Kwayzy and welcome to the forums.

Hopefully we will get your char back and running without too much hassle. :wink:

Just a few quick checks first of all.

• Please Verify your files via Steam.
  • Are you trying to run with Steam cloud saving or with local saves as your new save location?
  • Can you check that you have full read / write permissions for everyone on the local GD folder in Documents\my games.
  • Is your Cloud setting in GD’s setting ticked or not?
  • What’s the full path (hiding the folder of numbers as that’s private) to all the different locations that your char save currently is?

See below.

Apologies, missed the response whilst typing up the last update, so answers below:

1. Verified and reinstalled multiple times, including fully clearing all files.
  2. I am trying to get it running with local saves to use GD Sidekick (in addition to character saves)
  3. I am the only user and admin on this PC. Checked and no locks on any file in each of the file paths.
  4. File path the game refuses to stop using:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\SteamID\219990\remote\save\main

File path I believe is used for local saves:
C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

My main issue is that turning off cloud saves, either via the game properties or on Steam overall, seems to make no difference. It continues to use cloud saves, but is now protesting by removing all the .gst files.

Okay, so you’re currently set on cloud saving. If you can answer these 2 question from my previous post then it will make life easier to help you. Cheers :wink:

[ul]
[li]Can you check that you have full read / write permissions for everyone on the local GD folder in Documents\my games.[/li]> [li]Is your Cloud setting in GD’s setting ticked or not?[/li]> [/ul]