How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location.

For anyone interested:

I used a free dropbox account and dropbox’ ‘backup’ option to backup my saves. It is a one-way backup, so no sync, but since I only use one computer it works well.

Hey there,

Sorry for the rush. td;rd

I`m managing how to bypass Windows log in wall as I can access the whole files through TAILS. This guide or any other one can make me save my progress and which files I must save . If I’m not wrong there are two places withe GD save files and it seems that the one we use to post our builds. No internet. No Offline Windows. Coming back soon and I’ve already played almost 15 or more chars before defeating Warder and started the FG. It would be no problem to start over but I would love not to.

Since I can keep track of the status of this post if someone can send me a message by e-mail – I don’t know if it against rules but its neither my personal email nor the one I’ve registered in the forum – which I’ve made only for this reason as it follows:

sistergift.violin490(at)passmail(.)com

Thanks.

(How come we can’t make notes in a personal journal?)

not sure what you’re specifically asking?
if it’s which save location that matters, then that depends on your ingame settings but only if using steam, if you use GoG the game only saves to documents path
If you’re using Steam version, in Grim Dawn ingame options Settings if cloud box is on game will save to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\steam acc nr folder\219990\remote\save
^start path/drive might be different if using a custom install

if Grim Dawn ingame cloud box is off game saves to
C:\Users\username\Documents\my games\Grim Dawn\save
^this path might be hijacked by Onedrive for some users in whcih case it will be in the ondedrive folder with same end path
*and again if you’re using GoG version it saves to the above documents path regardless of ingame cloud box on/off

if you want to move saves i recommend Pow’s picture guide How to - Move your saves from Steam cloud to Grim Dawn's default location. - #208 by powbam
*keep in mind you can’t copy paste saves into the steam save folder, game will only read “cloud” saves if imported from documents save location first. You can copy paste save/move files manually into the documents save location and game will read them without needing to import

1 Like

I knew I could count on you, Four days awake. I don`t know if I got what you’ve said. I wish, if possible, move the files to a external because it seems I’m going to wipe the HD out in order to use the device again. My game is from Steam. Did I make it clear?

I`m getting back my connection and I managed to install Neverwinter in the external drive and play using Tails. I wish Grim Dawn – without that complicated Steam Linux – was available for debian.

Thanks almost a party,

Move cloud saves to local saves by following the instructions powbam gave in the link Gnomish posted. Then just back the local saves up on an external drive.

Whether you could actual play the game from an external drive I don’t know. Somehow I doubt it if it’s a Steam version since you’d need to have Steam on the external drive as well I guess to make it work.

1 Like

yes you can do that, the game saves on your PC regardless which setting you use, the only difference is where you copy/backup/move the saves from.
So just browse to either of those locations and take the files from there. Then move them back on your new drive install
*again with the caveat you have to import the saves if using cloud setting ingame

if you’re using linux i don’t know which location would correspond to cloud on/off ingame, i’d suspect you’d have to use a manual system search if using cloud off, but with cloud box on ingame i’d still suspect game saves to the steam folder as with windows (and likewise will likely require you import the saves when reinstalling)

1 Like

I guess not. I’m getting a new device soon. So since I can get back to where I stopped playing the game it’s okay. I can take this other crucible wave. I got linux mint in another usb drive and on mint I think I could play because it’s not made for secrecy and security specifically. But maybe I’ll just wait.

Thank you so much.

Alright, Barnabas Ill take this quest. Let us hope for the best. I can`t wait to come back and I’m looking forward to getting the new expansion altogether.

I’m using linux for the time being but it’d be great to play on it. Any sale on GOG Id buy it again. I didnt know GOG back in the day I purchased Grim Dawn. Since I started hating this absurd tracking like that one made by Microsoft (never buy a game from them and EA and Epic Games which the latter I’ve got a great number of games I didnt even know about it but it’s tough to play because they hate VPN. I stickc to steam for catalogue and GOG for the cause.

I was forbidden to play AoE I and II for almot a month, only because I lost connection one second after installing an expansion.

I Hate therefore I am / I am therefore I hate.

Thank you so much you’re really a great member of this community.

I didnt mean to erase the whole disk but I did. I could install Linix Mind and Steam as well. How gload I became when I see that Ive lost nothing. All chars were there. I couldn;'t play on the main scenario, though. I made a new char and okayed only crucible because the device or compability couln’t take it. Once again I lost the OS and went back to Debian using Tails. Than GOG I can download the installation files. I’m playing Neverwinter adn Torchlight (which I could’t understandt anything) and that what I’m going to do I guess untill I get another device which seems the case because the HD apparently is not “available” all the time and it’s about to break down. Neverwinter is a good game.

Quick question; have we got a newer version? Grim Dawn looked quite different in some stuff.