How to open command console?

Does anyone know how to open the command console?

In this thread /forums/showthread.php?t=38209 it’s explained how to do it:

"To activate the console go to a custom game (it dosen’t work in the main campaing) and type ~ or ’ (depending on your keyboard). "

but unfortunately it doesn’t work for me.

Do I have to edit my settings file first in order to activate the command console?

Halp plz someone. I want to access the command console…

Do you use a qwerty keyboard? Not sure what could be wrong, but afaik, ~ is the key. Check your keybindings in game (but I am not even sure there is one for this).

Tried everything nothing works. Shift + every key, Alt + every key, “~” “`” nothing works. I even defaulted the options at main menu. no luck.

Are you sure that you were in a custom game as you tried to open the console?

I have a character in the Reign of Chaos “Diablo 2” mod, played with all resolution settings and ui scale. nada. After googling this a bit. It appears this has been an ongoing issue with games for the past 10+ years. Trying to read more on it…

Thanks for trying to help. I am not having any luck though. I am using a laptop and have read that IR drivers can mess up with tilde key in some games, but I don’t see any such drivers to disable that some have mentioned in various forums. The easiest fix would be if there was a .ini file to change the command to. or file of some sort to edit.

I suppose you use a qwertz keyboard.
If yes, the correct key is ^.

Crate seems to have used some special key notation there that doesn’t check for the symbol outcome but for the key position.

On a qwertz keyboard the ^ key is where the ~ key would be on a qwerty keyboard, that’s why it doesn’t work for you since you’re probably using the wrong positioned key.

If you use yet another keyboard format, try the key below where the escape key would be.