How to understand if a character bugged?

Hi, since I recently realized my Conjurer is bugged, I started to doubt my other/older toons might have had the same issue with them.

I also just saw that my new toon Sentinel’s mastery order is changed. I obviously picked Oathkeeper first so I can properly level and Occultist as second but now it seems they swapped, like I picked Occultist first and Oathkeeper second. Atleast it shows like it. https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jnX4x2 I checked the integrity and no problem.

So the question is, how can I understand if a character bugged and in what extend these bugs(maybe small ones) affect the outcome?

PS: And is there a possibility that my overheated cpu/gpu fusion game data while processing it which result as interesting and weird bugs? lol :rofl:

The game doesn’t care which mastery you choose first; it doesn’t keep them in any “order”.

2 Likes

Hmm okay, that rules out that my sentinel bugged idea. Never paid attention to these changes before. But I saw bugged Conjurer did to the game, I should have realized when Primal Strike act weirdly or I got 2x Shar’zul in a row with it but I only become aware at this point [Celestial Totem] Tentacles don't vanish.

Contrary to what medea said, your 2 masteries after selected get ordered with a priority according to the selection screen top-down I believe:
gdmasteries

1 Like

Your char is bugged if you cannot load it.

I doubt any of your chars are and your examples do not show that at all either. At most, verify your game files.

1 Like

Yes I thought that aswell, since Occultist exist before Oathkeeper, game prior to that class.

I don’t think my all current characters are bugged but my Conjurer definitely were and I deleted it because I can no longer trust the experience I have with it. My question was how can I notice that before spending lots of time with a character? And I also wonder how small bugs related to a character can affect it since maybe some other people share their experience aswell.

As how I figured my Conjurer is bugged; Cooldown Vitality Primal Strike Doesn't hit. Torrent chain works/Cooldown start running but no Lightning Bolt/nor damage //// [Celestial Totem] Tentacles don't vanish . I tried to produce these issues with other characters and couldn’t, other people also coudln’t reproduce that except @Willnoword on tentactle thingy. Plus it felt bad since the beginning. It has 300k dps, %150 Vitality RR but couldn’t feel the damage nor the sustain, %15 damage absorption and %50 phys resist it felt squishy as hell. So these are the reasons.;

I also went Bastion of Chaos 2 times with that Conjurer and two times I get Shar’zul’s Worldeater. This maybe pure luck but I have 2,6k hours and no other run resulted with Shar’zul except those two with that particular character.

So your statement about bugged character can not be loaded may not define the whole ‘‘bug’’ concept. And as I mentioned, I was verifiying my game files once in a week, now I’m doing it almost every day and never saw something wrong.

PS: I also deleted my first character Warder(which also was Primal Strike related) a long time ago but the reason I delete it even after hundreds of hours and acquired game knowledge I never make that character work, it felt always squishy and damage felt inadequate so I delete it. Probably I’m never gonna use PS again after these two experiences lol.

1 Like

I saw what you claim shows that your Conjurer was bugged. I disagree that it shows that. Nothing in the save file would have any impact on any of this.

Your char is bugged if GD cannot read it, maybe if your quest progress got corrupted and leaves you with something that cannot be resolved. Anything else is not a bugged char.

2 Likes

Okay so my Conjurer wasn’t bugged, let’s define what happened to it then? I opened this thread to understand it and recognize it if it happen again so I presume there is no tool or something for that but I can accept atleast an explanation.

I’ll guess that is more because Rotgheist still sucks on the Vitality Primal Strike front than a character being bugged.

Plus, i occasionally still get tentacles that do not vanish from Scions of Hungers spawned from Celestial Totems.

And about two Worldeaters in a row, maybe do more runs to confirm if it’s a bug?

I tested after the recent buffs, it was still really annoying to play. >1.1.9.0< Lady in Red. Vitality Primal Strike Conjurer. SR 85/Ravager of Minds/Mogdrogen and it doesn’t explain where I’m missing PS hits without fumble/dodge effects in random places. But okay, fair enough.

I did celestial totem runs with my other 18 characters and none of them repeat those persistent tentacles; in the first try with that Conjurer it happened again. And I did verified my game files after the first incident so that wasn’t the issue. Result; I got mad and started to questioning weird instances happened with the character and deleted it.

And this can be some weird luck; I already confirm that it’s not impossible but I deleted the character so. I have probably first version of it somewhere among the whole data backups.

I don’t know what happened to your Conjurer, but as far as I can tell you did not verify anything. You observed some weird behavior, assumed it was due to a corrupted save and deleted it. Nothing ever was verified.

A first step to verification would be to send it to someone else / try it on a different machine and if the issue persists, you have shown that it is dependent on the char. Even that does not show that anything is corrupted, it could just be some weird consequence of the gear you equipped and a bug in the game while the char is perfectly fine. Showing that it actually is a bugged char is hard, but you did not even take the first step…

As nothing you presented as weird behavior is at all affected by the data in the char save, I can pretty much rule this out as a possible cause however.

1 Like

I don’t have another computer and no-one asked me to provide the character data to test anything. As you can see both ‘‘bug reporting’’ threads either eliminated as it’s not reproducable or didn’t get any attention.

And I’m asking again;

Any explanation? My game corrupted? I guess verifying game files on steam regularly should eliminate that possibility right? As I did before and doing it now almost everyday since I got suspicious.

Then my computer creating processing problems? I already mentioned this possibility by joking on the op, is it really possible, can you confirm that?

I do not have an explanation, as I said, but I can tell you it’s not the save file as nothing in it affects anything of what you experienced. The file stores eg that you have 10 points in skill A but nothing about how it should behave.

It’s either the game or your driver (probably game as it’s not just a missing fx from what I understand)

Then why verifying the game files from steam doesn’t fix it? Should I delete and re-install the game? Anyway since I haven’t notice any weirdness with my other toons except deleted Conjurer and learned it can’t be bug based on a particular character means that I can’t do hack about it even if it happens again. And apparently tentacle issue is not unique(but why the hell no one else express their incident on two bug report thread by different people) so I just lost a 100 level character.

A bug is an error in the game’s code. YOU cannot fix it. Crate could, by changing the source code to resolve the bug.

Rule of thumb: if the issue you encounter is also encountered by other players (i.e. tentacles not disappearing) then it’s a bug. Nothing you can do locally will fix it.

If it ONLY appears for you, especially if it involves serious issues like random crashes or disappearing graphics, it may be an issue with your local install, or your hardware, or your drivers. That’s when verifying game files and updating (or rolling back) drivers and whatnot might help.

Bugs quite commonly only appear if a bunch of factors come together. (If a bug always appeared, it would be detected quickly and fixed.) This means that it is quite possible for you to ENCOUNTER bugs more with one character than another. (Perhaps a bug appears only if you have X number of pets on screen, or if you have a certain item equipped that’s for a certain class, or if you died once this session, or… you name it.)

But that doesn’t mean the CHARACTER is bugged. It means you encountered a bug while playing that character. Or that there’s a bug with a skill or ability or item only that character uses.

Only 2 things you can do about it:
1] Work around it. (i.e. just leave the Celestial Totems, persistent tentacles are annoying but won’t stop you playing the game.)
2] Hope Crate will fix the bug in a patch.

2 Likes

If the issue is in the game itself, then verifying won’t help. It would need to get fixed in a new version first.

1 Like

yeah no matter what order you select your masteries in they’ll get reordered to the order of the selection list when you relog that character. Fun fact if you select a 2nd mastery but don’t put any points into it, it’ll be removed on relog