[HOW-TO] Use This Forum Effectively

It’s worth noting that you can actually encase <a name> and <a href> around <kbd> tags like I did in this thread:

^This jumps you to this:

So an example would be something like so:

<details><summary><font size=5><a name="ExampleFN"><kbd>Forum Navigation</kbd></a></font></summary>

</details>

^The ANCHOR point

<div align=center><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><a href="#ExampleFN"><kbd>▲</kbd></a><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd><kbd></kbd>
</div>

Which looks like so:

Forum Navigation

It even lets you use a blank <kbd></kbd> tag, if you want, as either/or the anchor or link.

<div align=center><a href="#ExampleFN"><kbd></kbd></a></div>

I see, I see. That is good to know. Personally I am too lazy for all that, but interesting to see the different ways in which you can format stuff :yum:

This thread definitely needs to be a sticky :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Fantastic work @powbam

1 Like

I found a good Markdown reference at https://www.markdownguide.org/

Underline, font color and size as well as a different alignment can be done with BBCode

For colors I usually refer to this color table

Edit:

• That BBCode reference lacks the [details] and [spoiler] tags - the former should be use now instead of [spoiler2]
  • I’d be wary to use HTML - I could not scroll my now deprecated class table on my mobile phone, which is possible in the current HTML-free version
1 Like

Indeed. I’ve noticed there are other aspects you have to be careful with as well that don’t jive as nicely on mobile.Tables tho, are an odd bird on Discourse. On the one hand - it lets you use them. On the other - it doesn’t let you use any table attributes to customize them.

Making new Anchor right here! will make sense later… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’m guessing Discourse has a Markdown parser with added BBCode support. Markdown naturally supports HTML to some degree, anything with a security risk is disabled and so are the majority of styling attributes (for Discourse).

as far as I can tell, we are using
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-bbcode/65425

because make small text with [small] is working and [aname=NAME] + [jumpto=NAME] have an effect:

it would replace the need for <a name + <a href respectively. I still prefer Markdown’s [text](#anchor-name) over <a href="#anchor-name">text</a> or [jumpto=anchor-name]text[/jumpto] though.

The table working better without HTML is probably due to Markdown putting a div tag with a class="md-table" as the table’s parent. You could try adding that div around your HTML table, maybe adding a class attribute to a div tag is possible.

jumping back to test anchor

2 Likes
  • purple background
  • highlight does not stand out enough on the dark background
  • Please don’t use Comic Sans - we are a fortune 500 company, not a lemonade stand.

Thank you, but no thanks - I am happy to use the easier Markdown.

3 Likes

To each their own. I like pushing it and bending it to see what I can make it do :slight_smile:

True. Just like with that freak of nature thing I pulled off with <span> tag you showed me in the other thread, sometimes you can bypass Discourse’s limits by doing stuff like that that it isn’t expecting. Fun stuff.

1 Like