How to work out if an item is an upgrade?

I hate that there is no way to tell if an item is an upgrade or not because the inspect thing that tells you how much dps more or less it is compared to the current weapon is apparently wrong and pierce weapons are impossible to tell what is better anyway lol. It also seems very odd that physical dmg increases don’t work on pierce.

Wrong in what way? I use these dps tooltips to find upgrades and they work OK for me most of the time.

Dunno, played pierce blademaster and had no problemw comparing weapons.

Two different damage types, nothing odd about it. Poison doesn’t increase vitality too, you know?

The dps tooltips for example tell me to take off my derp slicers and use other weapons like swords with only 25% pierce instead of the derp swords 50% because the dps is higher even to the point of telling me to use 2h weapons because I would do 300 dps more with my character built using your Beginner’s Forgotten Blademaster build.

It even goes to the point of telling me to equip a 1h range weapon instead of my 2 swords for a 150 dps offhand increase.

I know poison doesn’t increase vitality but in most games physical damage increases all physical damage and pierce is juts the ammo of physical damage that bypasses armor, it’s not usually it’s own stat.

Are you sure it isn’t actually higher? There are many more factors than just pierce ratio. I wouldn’t be surprised if say a level 50 weapon with 25% pierce ratio ends up being better than a level 35 derp slicer.

I’d personally try to equip it and see how my sheet dps for Cadence changed. While I’m not sure about dps comparison on weapon tooltips I’m sure that sheet dps is trustworthy in this particular case.

This is because dps compare doesn’t check passive skill requirements and assumes flat damage from Dual Blades remains.

Same as above.

I sometimes get wrong values as well. New Item is stated to be better. I put it on, with same Augment, same compound (activate the aura of the compound) and it is not better.

In my experience this is sometimes the case when you change from gear with damage convertion to non-converting gear. I feel like the prediction-algorithm assumes the converstion will still be applied after you change to a non-converting weapon.

Op is right. Sheet dps stat is mostly waste of space.

For autoattack builds better look at dmg tooltip for your autoattack replacer with the breakdown into different dmg types (2nd page) and attack speed. Also, oa, crit dmg, rr, conversions… sheet dps covers none of it. With pierce (blademaster, yes?) it’s even more complicated by wps.

Gotta go by feel. Experience.

Here is an example

Imgur

Imgur

So tooltip says 20 dps more if I put the new one on my offhand according to tooltip but equipping it damage per hit on tab 2 of character sheet shows a 200 to 300 damage less shadow strike and a 500 to 700 damage less cadence…

I don’t think less damage per attack would ever mean more dps unless there are some stats the tooltip is adding up that the damage per hit isn’t. Like maybe attack speed which is on the one the tooltip says is higher dps? Frankly idk how major the attack speed is so maybe that is why lol

Attack speed is very major, but since that weapon also converts damage to fire it cancels out. It’s slightly surprising that the game considers it better than your Superior of Spellweaving, but since it’s not that big of a margin I’d call it within expectations.

The easiest way to check if a weapon is indeed an upgrade is to compare the time required for 3x dummy kills.

Another thing is since leveling all the armour I get can have wildly different armour amounts as well as ones with good pierce bonuses might mean I can’t get resists very high so idk if I should have gear with bonuses to pierce damage and then I die fast to enemies or gear with bonuses to resists and then fights take ages -_-

I don’t understand this

the thing is that wep tooltip compare is NOT compare of your total dps, its purely dps compare for your assigned LMB skill, which seems to be cadence on the screenshot, i cant remember how exactly it works with comparing augments / components, i believe u had to hold smtng… (CTRL?) to shut down comparing of those, but anyway, the tooltip is not realiable thing to use for your total dps calculations, you have to always go through the stats, and decide whats better by yourself