How's soloing?

I haven’t played games much lately. All I’ve been doing was watching TV shows/movies, being with my gf, and other things. Kept video games away for awhile.
NOW, I have a bad itch to play a video game… and I choose Grim Dawn!!

How is Grim Dawn for solo casual play?
I’d love to group up with others too in the future… so how’s group play? Hard to find others or easy? Thanks for reading~

1 Like

Playing solo is the default, but feel free to level in multiplayer. Just be aware that you sometimes need to decide if you want to become friends or foe with a faction. So, read what you agree to.

1 Like

Be friends with everything that don’t shoot first. :wink:

As for op question, game is very playable at the total beginner level and very smooth. You progress fast and there’s always something to do. Lore is great, design is very good. However, it might get a little overwhelming mechanics-wise with the number of options when you don’t even know what you’re looking at. Also, when you jump right into it with zero knowledge it can get hard at times (which is good because you gotta make sure you explore not only the locations but also gear, skills, devotions, etc in order to optimize and survive).

It’s best to read some beginner guides like “Things I wish I knew…”

As for solo game this is the main selling point of GD. It’s completely free. You can mod. You can cheat. Nobody’s gonna tell you how to play the game unless you visit the forum too much lol

1 Like

I’d point you in the direction of the Game Guide, but unfortunately that’s not available atm due to the change of forum platforms. But there is also this thread with info for new players. It’s a bit outdated, but still has a lot of useful stuff in it.

Jump in, play the game and pick skills/ abilities/ etc that look interesting. You can always fix most bad choices you make.

The game is designed around solo play, group play is mostly just there because people wanted it, little attempt to balance it was made so it’s quite a bit easier in general in group play but it’s still fun and not that hard to find a game, on steam anyway.

1 Like

GD is great for casual play. Just like NES you can pause the game if you have things to do, no forced online. Big enough to spend time to explore if you choose. Learning curve should be fine until late elite or ultimate where you need to start picking gear more carefully.

Not sure about group play, I only solo so far. Probably best to look in forums or Discord server for groups.

It’s pretty much designed for solo play out of the gate. Co-op is just a nice bonus, really. You can play as casually or as hardcore as you like as well.

Obviously the game would be a lot easier as a group, though things do scale.