I miss old game nukes. =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03J9d7dIlA :cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJjQEoFF5Q8 :cry:
Why there is no nuke-like nukes in modern games ?

Modern games are supposed to be sold. Back in the day, games were made to serve fun, nowadays it’s just a way of getting money. If you look at all (or most of) games that are produced nowadays, you’ll see that these games already existed before that particular new game was made. I’ll take Gothic and Witcher as my example, Witcher’s developers were surprised how Gothic looked and Gothic in general inspired them to make Witcher. Witcher is literally Gothic v2 in a different clothing. Witcher producers did, in fact, admit they loved the way Gothic was made and they made Witcher almost exactly as Gothic was made. Now, Gothic developers copied Witcher 3 to make Elex (well not exactly copied them, but inspired themselves by Witcher 3). I never really wanted to play Witcher, I did play a bit of the first game but then realized I know this game and that I already played it, because it was literally Gothic but with another story and different controls.

Nowadays games usually are exactly the same as the old ones, but the only difference is mechanics (which did, in fact, exist in the past but in different game types). This is the main reason I don’t get hyped when a new game is getting released but am getting hyped as heck if I see an old game (even with trash graphics, look at Divine Divinity, I still play this game). New games aren’t unique at all, they’re all the same. You can’t spot any difference in the same game genre. The only thing that makes game1 different from game2 is the name and story, or, eventually, another game genre.

I could actually throw some more examples, but I doubt anyone would like to read it. You can even look at Titan Quest and Grim Dawn at that point. The only, literally only two differences are name and story. Even the team is the same (kind of). :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah, everyone knows about GD and TQ.

Not sure if either of these appeal to you or not but I find them entertaining and they certainly makes you feel powerful :p. I prefer 1 or 2 other strategy games to it though, haven’t played PA more than around 30-40 hours.

Um, crafting, devotions, factions, nemesis do differentiate the 2. And only 3 out of 14 Crate employees ever worked on TQ.

Crafting was in TQ, although you could only craft relics, it did exist. Devotions are just additional skills, so we can say it did exist (many people won’t agree though). Factions, well, yeah, but I don’t quite see what’s so different in there. I mean, TQ also had some kind of factions - greeks, egyptians, asians and the other thing that lived in hades. Nemesis are just stronger bosses, so I would also not say that’s anything new. There were, however, bosses that did spawn only in certain difficulties and were way stronger than normal bosses. This is why I said “kind of”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Crafting is very limited in TQ compared to GD as you said, Artifacts only - nothing else possible though the AE version does add one crafting possibility with the Master Forger in the Ragnarök expanision. Nothing in TQ adds extra skills though you do get the +1/+2 to a mastery or all skills on some items. There are no factions in TQ, you simply pass through those lands. You don’t earn any rep with them for special items at their vendors. There were only 4 extra bosses: 3 in Epic and 1 in Legendary. All spawn in their own special places so not random, and 3 of them can pretty much be avoided since they’re not that near the “main route” you take through the game. Talos is the only one who can be difficult to get around, but I think you can even run by him and enter the MinoLab without having to bring him down. Hades is the only boss where you’re even in a sealed area for the fight.

Implying that even going far as back as the NES there weren’t a ton of games made for the sole purpose of a quick buck. People easily forget the slew of crap games that existed as far as the Atari days. Not to mention stagnancy of genres in those times, like the over saturation fo 2D sidescrollers.

My point is people love to romanticize and in a lot of cases flat out lie about those times. And this is coming from someone that started to play games in the mid 90s.

I also immediately thought of PA

I miss old game nukes as well :frowning:

Let´s not forget that TQ was buggy as hell and very unbalanced.
People kept playing it after it had been abandoned, because it was still a great game, yet claiming TQ and GD are almost the same is just stupid. :rolleyes:

I never claimed they were almost the same. Yes, TQ was buggy as hell, but Nordic have gone some way in addressing that by incorporating the old Bugfix Fanpatch and spectre’s Patch for the Bugfix Patch. Of course they’ve probably added just as many new ones as the patches fixed. :eek:

Anyone who’s played both games can see the similarities between the two which is not surprising given GD is TQ’s spiritual successor. For me they are both great games and I’m very happy about that. :slight_smile:

You need to mod it in.

Hmm. Different genre of game but I liked watching all the summon animations in HD from final fantasy 12, quite well done but you’d never really use them in game. One or two Are nuke-like. At 2:40 the two summons have nuke like effect and the last one is a nuke. The devs spent more time than they should have on them considering player will most likely never use it… https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cVFiqMEW128

Maybe they don’t add them because they don’t want to give people ideas? That must be why there are too many cliche TV characters that have an exaggerated moral dilemma about harming a criminal/attacker or doing something potentially unreasonable in general :stuck_out_tongue:

I miss them too :frowning: