I wrote two generalized articles on good masteries / classes to choose as a newer player, let me know what you think

Why would someone who just bought the game need guides and top lists :stuck_out_tongue: like just play and see what you like, especially new to the genre - figure out what playstyle you enjoy.

Advantage just playing soldier: one can decide what to do later. Most noobs take 2nd mastery at level 10 xD Like, why, you donā€™t need it and you can not undo that choice

Anyway, the title of the article does not say it is intended for new players.

Bruh. Next time someone comes into twitch and asks for a good starter build Iā€™m gonna tell them just pure soldier because you said so.

1 Like

That is great, then they can do some research meanwhile playing and decide second mastery later :slight_smile: Imagine picking up arcanist at level 10 and then realize they could have made much better with another choice at level 69 instead.

When I started playing, I just went with soldier FW until like AoM acts in ultimate

1 Like

Wow dude. 69 thatā€™s like that sex number.

1 Like

I learned from rekt that 69 is the best level, what else that number means you have to ask chat next time you stream.

1 Like

Well, physical battle mage can be also considered as option for begginer build. For example FW build.

Had to make sure conjurer was #1 and it was.

1 Like

It should be pretty obvious that it is intended for new players. The first sentences after the title(s) are as follows: ā€œGrim Dawn is a modern APRG with classic elements that is commonly referred to as the spiritual successor to Diablo IIā€ ā€¦ and ā€œWith Grim Dawnā€™s engaging dual mastery system, you become a new class when you choose your second mastery, able to mix and match skills from both masteries to devise your own unique build!ā€ You would not say this to someone who knows what Grim Dawn is already. If I were to add a bunch of disclaimers to the title to appease everyone, the title would become an article in itself. Out of respect for the reader, I assume they are capable of deducing meaning without being told explicitly. Thank you for your comments and criticisms.

There is nothing here that says good 10 choices for beginner players. Although I havenā€™t played with all the class combos and possible archetype builds of them; Mage Hunters and Warlocks are much better than Battlemages and maybe even druids. Especially if youā€™re making such a list, you should consider all the builds that can be made with those classes.

As gd fans we should be happy the game is being popularized. Even if there might or might not be some inaccuracies. And no matter how UNFORGIVING AND BORDERING ON HERESY these inaccuracies might appear to be. :wink:

Joking. Good read.

4 Likes

yeah GD needs more tier lists and hypes ā€œOMG can this build kill ravager?!ā€ ā€œINSANE build (sponsored by GDstash)ā€

Letā€™s just keep to constructive comments if thatā€™s at all possible please.

2 Likes

Are you speaking about masteries combos in general or in context of begginer players that have little to no blueprints and gear? If the second one, battle mage is better choice than warlock.

1 Like

No Iā€™m talking about general masteries that have more successful builds in end-game. Because the text I read talks about general, not beginner builds.

Exactly, there is nothing explicit in that article that mention beginners.

1 Like

@MykolasCole Take everything here with a grain of salt. Criticism is not always easy to take but the skill of giving good criticism also isnā€™t easy to master. Keep writing. Sift through it all and listen to folks and decide for yourself what works best and what you want to share. Iā€™m not really a big all the way to the endgame kind of guy (although the classless HC challenge was a helluva a lot of fun - thatā€™s not really endgame). Probably a huge assortment of folks will be more in line with that then the vocal minority that is way more into eeking the very last drop of tastiness out of their mastery.

For instance, it might be a good idea to label your article about classes as for beginners. Something as simple as 'If youā€™re new to Grim Dawn or just starting outā€¦"

Also, with that list of 10 masteries one thing that might have gotten lost in all these comments is about Soldier. Itā€™s probably the easiest mastery to get into and virtually anything paired with it can handle campaign stuff quite well. Thatā€™s why Death Knight is such a common recommendation for new folks because once you get finished with campaign Death Knight has a very easily farmable set (easily should not be taken at word because it can take a while to get all five pieces to drop BUT itā€™s fairly easy to kill Warden Krieg so itā€™s more about time than difficulty.)

Everybody here is passionate about the game. It sounds like you are as well. Keep that fire burning.

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words

Iā€™ve added a sentence to each article during the introductory paragraphs referencing new players.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. I would add that Mage Hunters and Warlocks do not feel as intuitive and easy to learn as a battlemage in my opinion. It was a challenge to choose 10/36 classes because ā€œbestā€ is a grey area when different classes excel in different areas of the game.