I wrote two generalized articles on good masteries / classes to choose as a newer player, let me know what you think

What were the criterias used to select these ten? I’ve read your reasoning and found it very vague.

1 Like

My humble opinion: battlemage is the worst class combo in the game, and it’s going to be painful to realize it at level 60-70 understanding you can do so much better with basically any other class combo “solier + something else” or “arcanist + something else” (except deceiver and apostate, probably, which are very specific combos).
P.S. Conjurer is very versatile class, you can do pets, you can do 5-pieces Ultos build, you can do Vitality caster, list goes on.

Bysmiel Trinkets on Ritualist? Seriously? Maybe you meant Ghol’s Malice?

Pointing out that certain class combo is great because there are items which support is completely out of sense because there are green items which support EVERY damaging skill in the game, this is hardly an advantage for any specific build but rather a feature of the game itself.

There are sets for almost each class combo, again, i cannot fathom why it is considered an advantage for a certain class.

No Purifier as go-to class combo for those who like to shoot things? That’s a huge miss, in my view.

1 Like

Classes that performed well in my experience / Classes that were in the top of tier lists / Classes that are easy to learn.

I think this title still belongs to Saboteur, but maybe with the latest MI support, not as much.

Forgot about it completely as never even considered to play it due to lack of exclusive skill, but you are probably right.

Templar: Am I a joke to you?

Sabo is not that bad but that combo is so point hungry that even if you come out with a strong one you get dissapointed to not being able to do more. And after the new patch it will be much much better I presume.

Templar still has physical AAR and the most efficient component/rare mat farming set in the game. Saboteur on the other hand is forced into DW either cold or chaos ( and maybe fire?) which other classes just do better.

2 Likes

Vanquisher Vire’s Might as well. Templar is fairly niche but I wouldn’t call it one of the worst classes in the game.

I know some ppl might meme about material farming but legit players still kill plants for blooms. I would still consider Templar one of the bottom classes, since outside of Phys/Fire AAR and Vanquisher, it doesn’t have much else going for it.

True, it doesn’t have a ton of options but the things it does that you mentioned it does extremely well. Phys AAR and Vanquisher are both strong builds in their respective fields/areas.

Fire AAR/Conflagration is also a decent way of levelling it as well.

Yes and that’s all. I happened to create one templar when I started to game just because of it’s name but it really failed me in every build I made with it, 2H or DW it all really bad as Battlemage. But it’s because I only play melee; I see classes as weapons. Physical AAR and Vanquisher are classic archetypes like you pointed out and solid options.

Sabo on the other hand has only DW options(Cold,Chaos,Aether,Fire) and maybe Cold Grenado as you said.(And as far as I remember somebody made a pierce sabo.)

So there are like same but since Physical AAR is much stronger than any DW melee build, you look at this issue as Templar is better than Saboteur. But they are actually not that far apart and Sabo will have more versatility with the upcoming patch.

What he meant with top mat farmer was Vanquisher set Templar.

Edit: And I’m not sure since I never tried the archetype but if it’s about mat farming and skating with VM, isn’t Paladin better than Templar on this particular playstyle?

I honestly have no idea. For all I know Vanquisher shieldbreaker might be better than all of them cause it’s a shieldbreaker. On that note, I think Paladin is also one of the weaker classes, even though you can make an auradin as a beginner.

1 Like

Granted you wouldn’t know when you just started playing but it should be apparent that Templar really isn’t suited to auto-attacking, mostly because Arcanist outside of Aether and some Elemental builds like Scion of Arcane Force isn’t suited to it, and even then, only as a secondary mastery for it’s flat damage and passives/toggles. Similarly, Oathkeeper doesn’t work well with Elemental or Aether melee/ranged without a specific Legendary set that doesn’t support Arcanist.

I haven’t tried either of these so I could be entirely wrong but on the surface, I think people underestimate the tankiness that Arcanist adds with Maiven’s Sphere + Mirror and usefulness of Null versus Censure + Seal/Ascension, the large amount of passive Burn on Inferno and the CDR on Star Pact.

Purifier is as straightforward beginner shooter class as it goes.

Demolitionist: the icon on Fire Strike shows a firing gun

Inquisitor has three WPS skills which activate on using Fire Strike.

Both classes naturally support fire damage and have -xx% fire resist skills.

Thanks, that actually explains it.

More or less capable sabo DWs are Cold, Chaos and Pierce, or so I heard.
Technically Sabo also got Harra but :rofl:
Fire itemization frankly steers towards a caster too.
Not sure if fire SS/Blade Spirit is currently a meme or even a thing.

Yeah, Templar is largely carried by phys AAR as a class. Yet again technically there’s Pyran, fire AAR, Vanquisher, maybe fire Trozan, also Screaming Veil and Rutnik, but these aren’t known to be strong builds. But neither are the vast majority of Saboteur builds.

No, because the way Vanquisher works is sneaking 1s cooldown CT discharges between your VMs.

Personally I haven’t tried, but doesn’t sound like something efficient at all.

The major downside is it’s stupid skillpoint hungry.

@RektbyProtoss recently completed his SSF Auradin https://youtu.be/56BgnD1EC_s.

So we established that Battlemage, Saboteur, Templar and perhaps Paladin are the worst class combos.

This breaks my heart because Paladins have been my favorite type of character to play since the first Greyhawk supplement…wayyyy wayyyyyy back. I read Three Hearts and Three Lions the same year I discovered D&D.

1 Like

On my Beginner’s BM actually 60-70 levels is a breeze, since you have Lucius Arm, which is crazy good weapon. Conjurer is very good for vitality and pets, lightning tend to be very glassy though.

Overall I would say other than Conjurer - Dervish, Sorc, Infiltrator are top tier classes, maybe Warlord as well.

Sabo is very limited class, basically one good build. Warlock isn’t much better though. Trozan Lock is very cool though. Paladin have synergy for fire but we established there are no top tier Pallys. Templar is still better I guess than the bunch. Deceiver and Defiler are still weird classes. Defiler have bad synergy but abundance of good gearing.

Commando outside of fire FW and retal isn’t looking pretty. Tactician also is worse than it looks.

But even all f these classes have at least one or two very good builds and can be easy to level.

2 Likes

+Archon. I honestly don’t get what this class is good for. High end there may be some interesting options but when it comes to budget it feels like an absolutely redundant class. Archon doesn’t have it’s own phys AAR to carry it out either, so it’s below Templar in my eyes.

Furthermore, if you consider Templar bad then Tactician is automatically under question as well. If anything I have better feelings about Battlemage these days than Tactician.

Warlock is a class of three builds more or less - aether ray, chaos ray and trozan. Won’t be wrong to say that Warlock position depends on how good ray is a lot.

EDIT: oh right, we forgot Pyromancer. It’s kinda like Saboteur in a sense, the saving grace being only that it doesn’t try to be DW melee.