[Idea] Increase the max movement speed cap to 155%, but give mobility skills -10% maximum movement speed penalty. This way the cap is still down to 135% /w mobility skills, but you can opt out of using them for more passive ms

The idea is simply to increase movement speed cap to 155%, and give mobility skills -10% maximum movement speed.

In practice. This means that the movement speed cap is still 135%, for those that use gap closers and mobility skills / augments. But if a character does not have, or opt out of mobility skills, they get this passive mobility bonus as a trade-off.

The idea is to make it more fair, and even via personal preference, to some degree equalize mobility. For example someone might use shadowstrike, but opt out of augment mobility to have 145%MS by losing disengage or another gap closer.

This hurts no one. Because the MS to people using 2 mobility skills is still unchanged. All this does is give a passive mobility bonus to people that do not have, or want, 1-2 mobility skills. This should make it all-around more fair imo.

Or cap at 115% when you have 1 movement skill and at 95% when you have 2 or more of those.
The current trend is to slow down games, see Path of Exile.
If PoE is getting slower, Grim Dawn needs to get even slower to not lose its identity as “the slower not zoom zoom game”.

4 Likes

PoE getting slower. :rofl:

1 Like

The slower pace making each fight with a pack of monsters a player skill test in terms of pacing and positioning is the exact reason I love GD so much. However, if someone does not have mobility skills - I think their passive movement speed should be increased to compensate.

I don’t disagree with lowering the cap overall like you suggested either. For me it’s more of a case in fairness. That characters that don’t have, or don’t want mobility skills - should have the advantage of moving a bit faster passively. It’s about fairness, and also doesn’t break logic (fatigue from using mobility skills).

Anyway, just an idea I wanted to air.

Not a bad idea, but 155% is a bit much, I’d say. 145% would be good.

Increase base movement speed a bit so it feels a bit faster than 135% movement speed, remove movement speed stat from the game and leave it buried with magic find where it belongs.

2 Likes

@jinsaotomex4
If you want I can send you modified game file that makes you move at 145% / 155% MS permanently (or alternatively just raises the cap). I’ve just tested the latter it and it feels too zoomy / unnatural for me but I prefer to play all my games slowly.

Sure, I’ll try that out. :+1:
@tqFan sent you a private message to keep the thread clean.

1 Like

It leads also monster speed buff so nothing will change except the average fps in crowds. I don’t think this is necessary. %135 is quite enough; infact I won’t argue if they nerf monster speed then character speed to make game even slower which might bring more controlled environment.

1 Like

I’mma be real here, I’ve read this thread three times now and don’t understand what’s being suggested.

Movement Skills provide a variable +300% or +500% MS during the animation, so what does it mean for them to suddenly give -10%? Is that additive? Multiplicative? Either way, wouldn’t matter. Unless you want to slow them down below your running MS, in which case they are hardly ‘movement’ skills and moreso ‘autopilot’ skills.

3 Likes

What I understood was that they want the rune itself to provide a passive movement speed penalty for the character, so using a movement rune or speccing into something like vire’s might reduces your base movement speed but you make up for it with the movement abilities?

:man_shrugging:

The whole idea is based on this, but it is flawed logic. Characters can get 6 different movement skills pretty much for free, so if a character decides not to use such a skill it employs a playing style that doesn’t need compensation.

1 Like

In which case, hard no, because that greatly widens the gap between masteries with and without innate mobility skills - which was the whole point of introducing movement runes to begin with.

3 Likes

Personally I’m fine with current max movespeed, but the minimum one could use a bump, because when you start out it just feels painfully slow. I know a few other people who feel the same.

EDIT: baseline movespeed also has very janky running animations, while at max movespeed they are alright.

3 Likes

Most people that I tried getting into the game stopped playing due to this sadly. I can live with 135% honestly, I tried 145% thanks to tqFan and found it a bit too fast but it felt really responsive so I would even take 140% movement speed. Not having the early game be a slog when you start fresh feels GOOD.

I don’t like using movement runes/skills because I don’t want to rush through the game. I’m in the minority I know, but I’m in no rush to get to L100. But then I’m a suffering altoholic so rarely get into the higher difficulties anyway. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.