[Idea] Maybe it's time to let damage penalty on Maiven's Sphere go?

I think game evolved and changed in a way that this damage penalty looks like anachronism. Especially when it’s pretty well known that flat damage reduction is superior to % damage reduction. Yet for some reason Arcanists still get a damage penalty for using Maiven.

I suggest that Crate should remove it completely. Skill is really lagging behind Inquisitor Seal and Ascension and Arcanist stopped being a part of the builds that are biggest damage dealers long ago.

+1
It should be done, Arcanist doen’t have RR, so at least let’s remove this damage reduction

Yup.

Grim Dawn has largely been pretty good about getting rid of that outdated D2/PoE paradigm of “Really strong buff for a possibly-potent debuff”. Most player investments these days are straight stat increases to help bolster your character at nothing more than an opportunity cost. Exceptions to this are Transmuters, and even most of those nowadays are buffs if at a mechanical/damage-type change.

When Reckless Power used to decrease your maximum health, it was so rarely used and largely considered worthless. Its stats were buffed again and again, and that belief didn’t change. So, ultimately, we have what we have now - a straight up buff to a particular sort of playstyle.

When Maiven’s reduced Casting Speed, it was too punishing to the builds that were meant to take it. When it converted Physical Damage into nothing, it was too punishing to Battlemages, which had always been a struggling archetype anyways. Now it’s just too punishing to everything to warrant much use unless you can thoroughly overcap it and/or need the CC res offered by Conversion.

ok let me role play a good Zantai and approve this one.

Agree on that.
The nerf on spellbinder and agrivix gone too far that arcanist cannot compete with other classes even for a support class. Lol, even aether become bad now.

It will need more help than this. If crate want arcanist to stay as a no RR mastery, its passive should be as good as soldier.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

+1 from me as well. The thing already has a rather high energy regen cost (which granted it’s on Arcanist, but it’s still noticeable if your build is energy intensive like AAR). Plus the energy reserve on Conversion.

Or we could bring back old school maiven’s which had like what…50% damage absorp? :rolleyes:

I agree. How about the penalty is moved over to field command for a few years then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Will the bigger problem of caster defence will be addressed? I guess there should be a feedback thread about defence situation of caster and some of the other struggling class and builds.

I already have a warlock with 61% dmg absorb. But sure, I will take an extra 30% more dmg absorb :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, it is a pet build

Surprised:D.Maiven sphere damage penalty is maybe too harsh.Arcanist without it will not be overpowered damage machine,so it’s nice proposition.

+1 from me. Also please change inferno’s flat RR to all damage types not just physical.

That carries some dangers since afaik spam ct binders were still going strong post 1.0.7 but I didnt check if they used manticore

I actually agree. Now that binders aren’t immortal, arcanists don’t have anything that is so unreasonably insane left.

It would be nice to let their caster might shine completely.

I am aware this will make agrivix shine even harder in crucible but it SHOULD. It’s no longer immortal and spellbinder synergy should be top tier for dmg AoE.

I made a similar proposal a few days ago (with Off-hand requirements).
So +1.:smiley:

To expand on this, Arcanist has the smallest available health pool of all masteries: 900hp and no passive to enlarge it. That would be fine on its own, but having (relatively modest) damage reduction tied to a hefty damage loss makes for a raw deal.

Doesn’t absorption scale multiplicately rather than additively? If you’re using Maiven’s, Possession, and Ishtak, you’re probably closer to 50%… which seems like a fantastic amount, until you realize that you’d have 50% more health as Conjurer anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes,it’s multiplicative,not additive.Easiest way to test it,go to Mad queen and try with MSS and aether cluster,she will still deal damage.This is further proof,that this skill is not OP and don’t deserve the damage penalty.

Hm… I have no idea about whether it is multiplicative or additive. The build in question was just something I put together with leftover points from my Single Mastery Pet Occultist as an experiment of sorts. IEE’s flat damage was what I was after.

And Ninja’ed by Nery again…

Ouch:D.From all this ninjaing I feel,I should play some kunai throwing Breaker.

Yes, you should.

Meanwhile this is what I am stuck with regarding ninjas:

:cry:

Is it just me, or has the necro class become very lackluster?