[Idea] New type of conversion: DoT to flat and the other way around

I don’t really like DoTs in general in ARPGs. It would be nice if we’d be able to converts DoTs to flat damage, the same way we convert damagetypes. How would it work:

Skill A deals 180 burn over 5 seconds, we have 50% DoT conversion to flat damage and 210 fire damage, therefore we reduce our Burn damage by 50% but gain the 50% of the burn into Fire damage, for a total of 90 burn damage and 300 fire damage.

Before I was thinking of adding it as a general value - X% Damage Over Time converted to flat damage, but then I thought it’s kind of hard to understand for some people, and we can have massive values of other DoTs aside of our main damage type, so we could sometimes get thousands of flat damage before damage multipliers, so it’s kind of break the game, therefore make it exactly like damage conversion - X% Burn damage converted to Fire damage, X% Chaos damage converted to Frostburn, X% of Vitality decay converted to Poison damage.

Would be also nice if those would be augements for medals, because, as we know, medals have no augements. On the other hand it’d be better if gloves, rings, amulets and medals had that feature built-in (not all of them), since some characters might get a random free DPS because they had 350 Burn damage (without amplifiers) and they’d gain e.g. 250 free Aether damage on attack by buying one augement that everyone can get.

Now I think this feature would be kind of shit anyway. :rolleyes:

I just want bleeding damage have conversion

And vice versa.

To be honest, me too. Bleeding is just lying there not giving a freak.

Flat damage is typically applied more than once per second while DoT is only applied once per second.

And the specific methodology you have in your OP just won’t work. You absolutely have to factor in duration when doing the conversion. Otherwise, there will be a strong bias towards converting DoTs with a base duration of 5 seconds.

Frankly I don’t think this feature will ever happen because it would require fundamental engine work and a lot of re-balancing.

Frankly I don’t think this feature will ever happen because it would require fundamental engine work and a lot of re-balancing.

Yes it most certainly will never happen.