[Idea] Possible use for unusable experience with a level 100 char

I know that this will never happen at this stage of development, but anyway, here is my idea …

Once a character reaches level 100 there is no point in doing bounties anymore as the XP is just meaningless and lost to the void.
My level 100 characters are normally dormant as I am concentrating on my lower level ones to get their levels up and the 100 boys cannot help in their progress as any items they find are way over the level I am looking for.

A nice feature for a 100 level character would be to be able to assign an Apprentice to them?
This apprentice would be on of your lower level characters.
The apprentice would not actually be visible or clickable in the game, but would just be a “Virtual Sidekick” that would start accumulating calculated XP points from the level 100 character as they clear bounties.

This would bring back some life and functionality back for 100 level characters and would not cause the power creep issue like the Paragon system that D3 implemented.

As I say, just an idea that is way too late - but it really would give my so called finished level 100 characters so much more playability and meaning.

The only level 100 exp you can gain now is to devotions, so killing mobs/doing quests isn’t complete waste but if you have OCD you can think of something. Trade EXP after level 100 for rare mats :thinking:

How do you trade EXP for rare mats?
Am I missing some key feature of the game here?

I mean as idea, not that it exists. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That would also work as an incentive for level 100 characters.

1 Like

To be honest I don’t like that idea. If there is no more incentive to legit play a character from 1 to 100, might as well use GDstash to create a lvl 100 character, or join someone’s high SR run and powerlevel (which is the worst way of leveling in GD imho, even worse than cheating because it’s plain stupid :crazy_face:).

Are your lvl 100 characters really devoid of life and functionality? Then maybe you are just bored with them once they hit 100? For me personally, reaching 100 is far from the end of the journey. That’s where I start tweaking and optimizing, and most of my builds spend far more time in this endgame stage than in the leveling stage. Neither stage is boring to me so I’d probably not use an “apprentice” feature at all. I see how this could work if the early- to midgame was a chore to begin with but that’s not the case in GD, at least for me :slight_smile:

Thinking about it gave me another idea, one that will never happen either :sweat_smile:

Excess XP fills a new reputation bar. Once that reputation hits a certain value, you will be able to hire one or more merc NPCs which you can control with pet commands. Only for the current game session, only until they die or are dismissed. Then you gotta refill that bar again by gaining more excess XP. Maybe have several tiers of mercs, the more XP you gain the better they will be when hired, or even let them level up while they tag along.

1 Like

Far from it - I have currently got 2,527 hours logged on Grim Dawn and will keep climbing.

It is just that I have 32 characters at all sorts of development levels and frustrate at the time spent when farming with a level 100 character and watch the experience that is wasted when I know that experience could have been well spent on some of my other characters, also though at the cost of not finding high tiered items you are seeking.

Almost like a “Catch-22” - Do you farm for items for lower level characters who won’t progress while you do this this - OR - do you level characters using exp while losing the higher chance of the the level 100 farmer?

The other argument for experience at level 100 is Bounties and Quest Achievements?
What use are they now, any exp is useless, so why bother?
I am not a SR or Crucible fan, so I would prefer a campaign based solution.

My suggestion was to find some sort of use for the wasted exp at level 100 without resorting to the horrific paragon system D3 implemented.

I do however like you suggestion of spawned mercenaries. Any use for overflowed exp at 100 would be welcome in my point of view.