Idle Farmers

I have the opposite issue? Sometimes my fields get worked and crops get planted and don’t see any farmers on the field at all. The dissonance is hard to look past.

We have a fix for this in internal testing and coming ASAP in v0.7.4.

2 Likes

I mean it was a topic where i ask for help but instead there is like 10 people with the same or similar problem :laughing:

ohh didnt see this reply, cool

Ditto on this problem. Crafted one farm. Worked perfectly. Crafted second farm. No problems. Crafted third farm and four apiaries at the same time. The apiaries work and now none of the farms work due to “late planting” and farmers “unable to work.” Glad there’s a fix coming. Just wanted you to know my exact sequence of events. Not sure if it’s the apiaries or the third farm or both that halted everything.

Unfortunately, the v0.7.4 hotfix did not fix the farming issues for me. All my farmers are still idle and unable to work. This is actually preventing me from playing the game as the hunters/fisherman just dont provide enough food. Hope you are able to look into this further.

You are sure you are running on v0.7.4 and verified game files?

Have you tried resetting your farmers in the professions UI?

It didn’t fix it for me either. My farmers died and the new ones never start working.

Hello Zantai. I just verified game files and confirmed I am on v0.7.4. I went into the professions tab and removed the farmers by clicking the minus button and re-activated them using the plus. Farmers are still show as “Wandering, unable to work.”

I am hoping I dont have to reset my map for the fix to work.

Please send the affected saves to [email protected].

Saves are located in:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\my games\Farthest Frontier\Save

Zip up the entire TownName_###### folder along with the .map file and .sav that reproduces the issue.

Thanks.

Just sent it over. Quick update on my recent test. At the start of a new year, the farmers did go back to the field and started working again but then they ended up idle . The fields also do not reflect the work they are doing (i.e. planting crops but crops not appearing in field).

Farmers do go idle in winter time and resume work in the spring. Is that what you are seeing?

They were idle in winter and began working in spring however, they stopped after a short while and went back to idle. The fields themselves are still showing weeds in them after they supposedly planted the crops.

So your farmer worked the first year because you have your first crop rotation set.

They are idle next year cause then rotation 2 activates, which is empty.

This red widget over the field lets you know its crop rotation is unfinished.

Farming originally worked as intended when I first started playing the game. It became broken after I loaded my save. As soon as I loaded the save, the two red widgets appeared. The farmers worked the 1st year and started working the 2nd year but stopped shortly after. The 2nd year schedule was set by me to plant peas and clover.

Just throwing in my two cents here but the farmers have been far more responsive and are actually doing their jobs in my town ever since update 0.7.4. I still have to manually toggle them during the winter so they go chop trees and build stuff, but otherwise they appear to be performing better. That being said, I do still get the same Idle out message (Wandering - Unable to Work) which leads to my second point below.

To Zantai/the developers, are farmers supposed to idle out during the growing season after planting but before the harvest, or are they supposed to be busy that entire time like one of the other jobs? I think at least part of the issue is people expected that the “Wandering-Unable to Work” message would go away forever until the end of time, which has not been the case since the update. I guess my main question is, what should the expected behavior of the farmer be if everything is working correctly?

Farmers can go idle between tasks, yes. They do help each other across fields, so if you have more fields , you will find they will hop elsewhere to help with planting/maintenance/etc.

It also depends how you set up your rotations, which can generate idle time if there’s no work on any fields.

I currently have one farmer who is idling out and not moving the harvested produce from their field to the root cellar nearby (which has room and has all food options selected).

Not sure where that falls on the map of farmer issues but its worth noting

Edit: Untoggling and retoggling got them to do the job

Thanks for the additional context on the fields. On the save that I sent you I see that the farmers planted the peas as expected and the farmers are doing maintenance on the next field. Will keep you posted if I run into any anomalies